• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen any threads on this after searching and wanted to create one after reading about this news.

dotesports.com

Ninjaboogie claims he was kicked from Team SMG after asking to spend time with sick family

The Dota 2 veteran's mother passed away shortly after he was removed from the team.

It seems so far several news outlets have reached out to Team SMG with no response and they have gone radio silent on social media. Absolutely horrible. I hope the man can land on his feet in the wake of what is undoubtedly a horrible tragedy for him, and Team SMG deserves to be under fire and then some for this absolute garbage. Regardless of what you think about eSports, no one deserves to lose a gig as a result of bereavement.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
What the fuck? And why did they think putting out that tweet would be an good? Holy fuck.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
So the season hasn't even started yet? That's extra ridiculous. Plenty of time for them to all work together as a team and still succeed. Fucked up

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Put whoever's responsible for this out on their ass. This is maddeningly callous.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
i thought this was going to be a heartwarming story with the org giving him time off to spend with his mom and jesus fuck it's even worse than i could've thought

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
ooooooooof
that's a bad look from mid1, but afaik he's been on a downward hill ever since he left secret years ago
never even heard of team smg
personally haven't been following dota scene for quite a long while

FYI in the dota scene pros (especially on teams that aren't doing well) move around extremely often
ninjaboogie's been around the game for long enough, i expect him to bounce back super fast
rip to his mom

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Way to ruin your entire organization's reputation. Can't even have his back during one of the most stressful times one can have in their life.
Has his teammates commented on this yet?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The entire situation is shitty on the team's part, but how tone deaf and up your own ass do you have to be to make that tweet thanking him and expecting him to just not say anything?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The entire situation is shitty on the team's part, but how tone deaf and up your own ass do you have to be to make that tweet thanking him and expecting him to just not say anything?
They're delusional. Based on the "asked for my decision" line, the team seems to be pulling this "we laid out the options, and you chose to get fired from the options."

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
What a ruthless decision from the team. Would believe this from like Formula 1 or an NHL team but not just videogames...

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

The decision is already ice-cold as fuck but the tweet is legit absolute zero. Holy shit how fucking heartless do you gotta be to not register how that would parse.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some context:

1. Team SMG made $50k in the first tour and second tour of this year. So from December 2021 to June 2022 the team has made 50k USD before taxes. I don't know how much each player makes in salary or monthly costs but I would guesstimate 50k is divided between 6 people and 6 months so each player is making about $1000 USD a month. This can continue into October where The International tournament is held. This leads to a huge $100k team payday for coming in last place so you can earn $12k just qualifying to The International - with prizepools reaching as high as $2-3M per player if they win. So competition is extremely cut-throat to be the top 3-5 teams in their region to attend The International. SMG is currently 6th.

2. The way the Dota 2 pro scene works is basically if 3 or more people on a 5 person team think you can be replaced with someone better you will get majority vote removed and there is nothing you can do about it.

OP
OP
awake4ages

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
They're delusional. Based on the "asked for my decision" line, the team seems to be pulling this "we laid out the options, and you chose to get fired from the options."

The worst part is he apparently wasn't even planning to miss the boot camp, just arrive a bit later than anticipated after spending the time with his mother.