• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ESPN plotting dream 'Monday Night Football' booth: Al Michaels and Peyton Manning

Thinking large and outside the box, ESPN plans to attempt to acquire Al Michaels from NBC Sports for "Monday Night Football," The Post has learned.

ESPN would like to team Michaels with Peyton Manning in its dream booth, according to sources. Manning is now ESPN's top choice as analyst after Tony Romo agreed to his 10-year, $180 million deal to remain with CBS last week.

ESPN has also shown interest in free-agent quarterback Philip Rivers, according to sources. Rivers, 38, has said he intends to continue playing. NFL free agency officially begins March 18, but agents can start talking to teams on March 16.

Joe Tessitore and Booger McFarland are ESPN's current MNF team, but the network is strongly considering a change.

If ESPN had been able to sign Romo, it hoped to bring in Michaels as his partner, according to sources.

Besides adding the glamour of a Michaels-Romo combination to the telecast, Disney, which owns ESPN, would head into its upcoming NFL rights negotiations with the biggest-name broadcast team in the business. Disney hopes to add more NFL and a Super Bowl for ABC/ESPN in the coming years.

The network believes a Michaels-Manning pairing would have the same sizzle as Michaels-Romo. Michaels, 75, is arguably the best NFL TV play-by-player ever, while Manning is one of the greatest quarterbacks in history.

Talks between NBC/Comcast and Disney/ESPN have yet to begin. Since Michaels has two years remaining on his contract, NBC could simply turn down ESPN's request.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/02/cbs-tried-hiring-peyton-manning-before-giving-tony-romo-180-million/
"Al is under contract for the foreseeable future," NBC spokesman Greg Hughes said.

ESPN declined comment.

Another complicated aspect for ESPN is that Michaels and Manning may only arrive as a package.

For NBC/Comcast, at first glance, there would seem to be no reason to allow Michaels out of his contract. Why would it want to help Disney, especially with its sights on Super Bowls? Ultimately, it might decide it does not.

However, a deeper understanding of the dynamic inside of NBC's "Sunday Night Football" booth raises the possibility it could let Michaels explore a return to Monday night to end his career by helping to restore prestige to a position he held for so long.

NBC has already hired Mike Tirico as Michaels' replacement with the exact timing of the transition not entirely clear. Tirico is supposed to call more games soon, though. The end of Michaels' contract coincides with the Super Bowl in Los Angeles in early 2022.

Tirico is expected to take over for Michaels full-time after the LA Super Bowl at the latest, but could be adding more games as early as this season.

In 2022, Michaels could retire, but he has shown no real inclination to do that and, in reality, the one-game-per-week NFL season only extends from August through early February. Ultimately, Michaels may not want to be dealt from NBC, as its Sunday games are the top-rated program on TV, a Super Bowl is on the horizon and he has been with this crew for the past 14 seasons.

Meanwhile, Manning is NFL TV's white whale, having turned down every network since he has retired. It is believed if he ever enters the booth, it would have to be the exact right scenario.

If Michaels didn't work out, ESPN could try to make Manning happy with others. Manning could be teamed with a co-analyst, though his brother Eli Manning is an unlikely option. Jeff Saturday, a current ESPN analyst and Manning's former center with the Colts, is someone Manning may have in mind, according to sources.

If NBC gave Michaels the green light, he would likely receive a hefty raise in the process and could add Manning to his collection of analysts that includes Howard Cosell, John Madden and now Cris Collinsworth.

There is precedent for a trade. In 2006, Michaels was set to continue on MNF as it transferred from ABC to ESPN, having agreed to a new deal to remain on the broadcast.

After Michaels' MNF partner, John Madden, left for NBC, Michaels asked out of his signed contract. ESPN obliged, but it received Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in return.

Oswald was the precursor to the creation of Mickey Mouse. The rights to Oswald, though, were owned by NBC's parent company then, Universal. It had been important to the Disney family to regain Oswald.

Now, nearly a decade-and-a-half later, ESPN is thinking large. It had a 10-year, $140 million offer it was hoping present to Romo. It never got the chance. It is still big-game hunting — and it may need more than a lucky rabbit to pull it off.

Never forget that ESPN traded Al Michaels to NBC for a cartoon rabbit.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Back away, ESPN

I don't want any changes to the NBC crew

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
That Romo contract is still ridiculous lol
Honestly, anyone is better than Booger McFarland at this point.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If I recall, Peyton is an absolute piece of shit human being and I don't want him anywhere near a broadcast booth, or, really, women in general.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
How about ESPN grow some of their own. They have so much fucking stations and stuff, it is ridiculous that the supposed marquee football game of the week has shit commentary. Lost on Romo so now going for Al, come on.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Al should stay on NBC because Sunday Night Football at this point is more prestigious than Monday Night Football

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Literally a bag of shit with a headset would be better than whatever they did last season so do anything different

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Man, if they had been able to pair Al with Romo, that would have been amazing. I would have gone from a year where I had to turn off the sound on ESPN broadcasts(when the matchups were bearable to watch) to actually looking forward to MNF regardless of the matchup.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Literally a bag of shit with a headset would be better than whatever they did last season so do anything different
bfd.jpg

bryehn

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa
Monday night games are routinely the worst of the week, why would either one of these guys want to work there?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing MNF needs to do is replace Booger with someone that's not as stiff and bland as Jason Witten was. They don't really need Al. Just wait for Greg Olsen to retire, and put him in the booth. The guy was pretty solid doing the XFL games.

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
Get Kurt Warner and some one to call play by play with him and your set. Warner has been really good on the radio.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Tirico and Peyton would be the better team IMO but that's splitting hairs. Tirico is the best play by play guy in the game for me which is why him + Gruden was always so much fun.

Oct 31, 2017
Isn't Al looking to retire though? I thought that was the whole point of NBC bringing in Tirico, because surely Al is near the end of his broadcast road. Though, I have to imagine an Al Michaels/Peyton Manning combo would involve mega stacks of cash, so who knows.

I think Tony and Jim on CBS is a really solid combination and was glad to see them work out a deal, even if Tony's payday is pretty absurd. It was probably worth it though, cause clearly he's great at being color commentary.

Joliet Jake

Oct 27, 2017
The worst thing about Collinsworth is he worships QBs to an unbearable degree. It's disgusting to listen to him talk abought them.
They throw a football real good. I get that. It's impressive. They aren't the greatest people to ever live though. You can only make the pedestal so high.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
ESPN needs a Chris Fowler type for people to become used to and comfortable with. Every NFL show they have has a different host and cast of analyst.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
How about ESPN grow some of their own. They have so much fucking stations and stuff, it is ridiculous that the supposed marquee football game of the week has shit commentary. Lost on Romo so now going for Al, come on.
They want a former athlete/coach. They had Gruden for a bit, but he's back in the NFL.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
they don't even know if peyton is actually good at it or if they have chemistry but sure, whatever.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Al Michaels is not a athlete/coach. This article says they want to poach Al. They should theoretically have a bunch of play by play guys they could use.
True. I got too focused on the Romo stuff. But they definitely need some star power in the booth. It's a joke rn. So I don't if going to the "farm system" will help.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Go away ESPN, we need Peyton to start building up capital to buy out my Broncos from the mess that is Pat Bowlen's spawn.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No the first time al michaels was traded. he was traded away to pair him with john madden. Al michaels return to abc would be good if returns to nba finals and baseball again.

PinaColada

Oct 27, 2017
Eh. Even with a great commentary team you would still have ESPN's absolute shit broadcast where half the screen is a fucking ticker. Just the worst broadcast of any of the major networks and they call themselves the "leader in sports".