• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

31. Wisconsin-Whitewater
32. Texas A&M
33. Pittsburgh
34. Appalachian State
35. Linfield

32. Texas A&M

54.2 | 2 national titles

The Aggies had a long history of playing second fiddle to Texas in the Southwest Conference and the Big 12 South, so they up and made the leap to the Southeastern Conference in 2012, much as Arkansas had done two decades earlier. And that made a difference. In the SEC West, the Aggies play second fiddle to Alabama. And LSU. And Auburn. Texas A&M has been cursed with a long history of goodness in a sport where only greatness is revered. Aside from R.C. Slocum's run in the 1990s, Bear Bryant's in the 1950s and Homer Norton's just before World War II, Texas A&M has lived a life of above average. Jimbo Fisher, over to you.

This is clearly "Fake news"

Cause a&m doesn't have two nattys

Other programs they ranked above A&M: whittenberg, st johns minnesota, mount union, and north dakota state

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
My least favorite thing about my alma mater is how much goddam money they spend on Aggie sports at the expense of university education when the end result is only ever mediocre sports performance. The only time I ever enjoyed being asked about Aggie sports was when we entered the SEC and Johnny Manziel was famous for a hot minute. That was short-lived anyway

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aggie culture is... unique.

When I was in college, my first summer home, I told my sister a funny story about how this person was handing out condoms in the student center, and gave me a card, but the condom was stapled to the card with the staples going right through the middle of the condom. When they noticed, we both just laughed.

My sister, who went to A&M, was confused and said "they hand out condoms at your school?" I was like, of course, why not? I told her that, for example, my school was pretty open about sexuality, about how there are gay rights marches and all that. She stopped and thought for a second and said when she was a senior at A&M back in the 90's, their gay students group wanted to hold a rally, and it became a campus-wide debate for the entire year. In the end, a compromise was reached where the gay student group could march, but only if the anti-abortion group could hold a counter protest. So in the end, the gay student group just decided not to march at all.

I was fucking dumbfounded. What the fuck does anti-abortion have to do with gay rights??

Also, they have a dog grave yard in their stadium, and they do this:

This is called the "Squeeze." The idea is that, when the team is in a very tough spot and the chips are down, that everyone in the stadium should grab and squeeze their balls as hard as possible (or if you're a woman, pull at your pubic hair) so you can "feel the pain the team feels"

They lost the game in the pic, btw.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite story about Texas A&M is the time they played Rice. A&M claims they "always win half time" because they do this boring military march show, which is timed to a leader's whistle. Well, for the rice game, the Rice Band came with whistles and blew it repeatedly during A&M's half time show, which completely ruined it.

Aggy_bandMOBwhistles.jpg

This was supposed to be a block T. It came out like this because people kept turning at the wrong whistles. Rice is now banned from playing in college station, lmao.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yale won 37 games in a row -- a 3 year long win streak, then lost one game to princeton (who was a powerhouse), then turned around and promptly won another 37 games in a row. In a 6 year period, they lost only 1 game, when at the time the Ivy league was far and away the best league in football.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck A&M. It's like a damn cult
I've been to just about every major college in Texas for either football or basketball. Tech, Baylor, TCU, SMU, Houston, Rice, UTEP, TSU, ABU, PVA&M, Texas State, UTA, UTSA... all been treated well.

I was literally spat on in college station.

I've been treated better by fucking sooners, at least they'll occasionally buy you a beer.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
My least favorite thing about my alma mater is how much goddam money they spend on Aggie sports at the expense of university education when the end result is only ever mediocre sports performance. The only time I ever enjoyed being asked about Aggie sports was when we entered the SEC and Johnny Manziel was famous for a hot minute. That was short-lived anyway

Y'all got Jimbo now though.

$75 MILLION GUARANTEED

Small price to pay for a national title winning coach.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I've been to just about every major college in Texas for either football or basketball. Tech, Baylor, TCU, SMU, Houston, Rice, UTEP, TSU, ABU, PVA&M, Texas State, UTA, UTSA... all been treated well.

I've been treated better by fucking sooners, at least they'll occasionally buy you a beer.

Yikes. I apologize on behalf of the Aggies. Although our cultish culture officially denounces that kind of behavior, we have some neanderthals in the school that act like they were scooped up out of an East Texas swamp gutter.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

We went last year to play them and we were treated fairly well. Sure we got our asses kicked so they had no reason to be asses but still.

I was impressed by the bands halftime show even if is something they do all the time and just with their campus in general.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

I feel your pain. I've had people end friendships with me because I spoke ill of A&M

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. I apologize on behalf of the Aggies. Although our cultish culture officially denounces that kind of behavior, we have some neanderthals in the school that act like they were scooped up out of an East Texas swamp gutter.

I know not all aggies are like that. It's usually the weirdo corp members, not actually the athletes or most fans. I've actually known several aggies athletes -- my brother in law was a very successful pitcher for A&M's baseball team and so I got to go around their clubhouse and meet their football team and basketball team when I was younger. My brother in law told me this story about once when they were practicing and the band was playing past Olsen field, so they called out to the band to "play the fight song," and the band leader got red in the face and screamed, "SIR! We don't have a fight song, we have a WAR HYMN" and the entire baseball team bust out laughing and clowned the band off the field.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Illinois has 5 national titles and the greatest college football player ever to go along with it. Not ranked. All right then.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Corps dudes are the worst but there are definitely too many "Overly Aggie" people outside the corps too. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to the traditions but I never heard of anyone doing the squeeze, at least not unironically, outside of the Corps.

I do enjoy some of the traditions but there are plenty that I stay the hell away from.

Similar to Nothing Loud, I'm sorry people in College Station treated you like shit. After games, when at bars on Northgate, I'd always approach away fans to ask if they wanted to share a pitcher of Shiner (my treat). Never had any bad interactions, win or lose.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't Cal be in the top 50? (I don't know much about college ball so genuine question).

Not really, tbh. They are essentially a perfectly average team. They have just about a .500 overall win record, and a literal .500 bowl record. Since there are about 114 Div-1A football programs, that'd put them just out of the top 50. They have some super early MNCs but they're all pretty disputed (and were awarded retroactively by news organizations that didn't even exist during those days) and come from the era when College Football was not a national sport but was instead a regional sport.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Corps dudes are the worst but there are definitely too many "Overly Aggie" people outside the corps too. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to the traditions but I never heard of anyone doing the squeeze, at least not unironically, outside of the Corps.

I do enjoy some of the traditions but there are plenty that I stay the hell away from.

well, when you talk about the really, really weird shit at A&M, it's always seems to come back to the corps. Like how when they used to have bonfire, how the corp members would gather around in a circle, jack off into a jar, then put it on an outhouse on top of the bonfire and burn it to symbolize their "burning desire to beat Texas."

They also tend to be really, really short sighted. Like how a common corp saying is this:

K1mPzND.jpg

But they evidently never actually read the rest of the sentence that is Psalms 75:10, which is "...but the horns of the righteous shall be lifted up." Literally saying the righteous shall "throw the horns up."

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whitewater is legit. WIAC is such a competitive conference for most sports, it's one of the main reasons anyone should go to a Wisconsin school

Nov 9, 2017
Fuck yeah, Longhorns in the top 10.

Ags fans always act like they have a real football history, but haven't really ever won anything. They also like to do horns down signal more than their own gig'em hand sign. Shows their little brother mentality quite well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah, Longhorns in the top 10.

Ags fans always act like they have a real football history, but haven't really ever won anything. They also like to do horns down signal more than their own gig'em hand sign. Shows their little brother mentality quite well.

Shows their follow the leader mentality, too. OU as well. Arkansas invented that, not OU or A&M. In fact, A&M is supposed to have their own "anti-UT" hand sign with the index finger and pinky finger bent downwards which is supposed to be the "horns sawed off." Sounds like their phish camp has forgotten some of their 'turdition.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
As a UF fan, it alway stings to see FSU above us in these kinds of rankings, but Bowden's tenure was incredible. This is why it was so satisfying to beat them in the Spurrier era.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I remember like the first summer home from college, I was sitting with my mom and sister and brother in law in my mom's back yard, and we were talking about A&M's historic failures, and my mom, who didn't really follow college sports at the time, said "aww, poor aggy" in complete sincerity, and my brother in law got red in the face and stormed off, hahaha.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Eh, Clemson's 2018 Team could beat every single team any of those schools have produced in the last 50 years.

:-P

They made an Alabama team that had "One of the best scoring offenses per game ever" and "The best defense in school history" in a National Championship game, look like a scrimmage against a Division 2 team.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh yeah my nephew is in the Corps at A&M... he's a sweet kid but I'm definitely scared about all the indoctrination stuff they go through.

I guess I don't really have a great history wtih A&M... two of my classmates from middle school were involved in the bonfire collapse. One died and one was injured pretty bad.