• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Load Management. Players were already approaching the regular season as a joke but recent years have shown the regular season to be detrimental to the success of a team. Players would take being an 8 seed if it meant they can have additional games off.

A huge overall absolutely needs to be done where either regular season performance has a bigger impact on the post season or they shorten the regular season.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
I'm down for any change that makes the regular season more interesting. I wouldn't even mind far more radical changes for the regular season AND the playoffs.

However I don't see the point for a mid season tournament if the incentive is just something like cash bonuses.

They're doing this backwards. Make divisions and divisional games matter again.

God this so much.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Here is my idea use baseball and football.

divide into leagues, not regions each league has two champions, who get a bye for the 1st round. 4 wild card teams, who play the 2nd rd, quarter fin]LS.. THEN HAVE TOURNEY FOR THE. 4 PICKS WINNER GETS 1ST PICK AVOID TANKING

Dec 2, 2017
I'm actually fine with exactly how things are, except I'd like to see the season shortened. It's obvious the speed of the game has evolved to a state where it's incurred a level of wear on players that humans not named Lebron aren't built for. "It's the playoffs, everybody's playing hurt " should absolutely not have become a cliche.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer having the conference championships mean something. I'm fine if you want to reseed within the individual conferences but if you're not going to have conferences matter for playoffs then they shouldn't matter for the regular season and should just be done away with.

I mean, I guess that'd be preferable if you're going to make changes. Get rid of conferences. Just go with divisions?
Four divisions:
North (Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Toronto, Indiana, Cleveland)
South (Houston, New Orleans, San Antonio, Charlotte, Memphis, Dallas, OKC)
East: (New York, Brooklyn, Boston, Washington, Philadelphia, Miami, Orlando, Atlanta)
West: (LA, LA, Portland, Phoenix, Golden State, Denver, Utah, Sacramento)

Top 3 from each division makes the playoffs and then you have 4 "at large" bids which go to your best 4 records/ mid-season tourney champs, etc. Seed them all by record and go at it from there.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This season the west is stacked and East is trash

Been like this for 20 years now

grand

Oct 25, 2017
As long as this means they're getting rid of conferences...

Shit makes no sense for the NBA.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind a mid season tournament. Some of the best anime arcs are tournament arcs

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
Seems a bit much, but sure. Would've been fine with just moving away from the conference format and base playoff seeds on best records.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why don't they just do with the NHL did in 1994-2013 and re-seed teams after each round? It was still locked by conference but after each round they'd make it so that it was always the highest seeds facing the lowest seeds.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Regular season should be reduced to 58 games, playing each team twice (home and away). Won't happen because $$$ though.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
my ideal schedule:

no back to backs ever
cancel pre season entirely, start regular season at the beginning of october or earlier
stretch current 82 game season over a longer period of time

this allows people to actually watch a wider variety of games. instead of, say, a lebron game and a giannis game going on head to head, with a more spread out schedule you can also spread out your games featuring superstars and possibly attract more eyeballs to more nba programming. no more 10 games happening one night.

I feel like the owners would get all pissed if they just straight up axed a bunch of games. the compromise is making the season longer and cutting out the stupid ass pre-season that no one could possibly give a fuck about. first 10 games of the regular season are basically pre-season anyways, everyone is getting back into the swing of things. for the younger/new players that actually need that experience in front of a bigger crowd, that's what summer league is for.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
They're doing this backwards. Make divisions and divisional games matter again. Reseeding ruins the chances of an upset like Tor had last year or Cle before. Tor doesnt make the Finals if they play Hou or LAC the series before.

Reseeding doesn't ruin the chances of upsets. In your scenario Tor would need to upset Hou or LAC to make the finals.

Indeed, the NBA has the most useless regular season of any sport league, and I don't see how people are opposed to giving the regular season some meaning.

You said it. I quit watching NBA regular season years ago, as a kid, because you could see that none of the players even cared until late in the season.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
The tournament sounds pretty stupid. Players barely give a shit in the one all star game, why throw a whole meaningless tournament in? They should probably focus on not having two full months of playoffs.

The two full months of playoffs isnt a problem to me at all. At least its meaningful stuff. Its the long ass regular season, that is NOW being more and more saturated by star players resting to avoid being injured/tires when the REAL meaningful basketball starts in the playoffs. Something has to change. Perhaps a combination of seeding and fewer games might do it.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Reseeding doesn't ruin the chances of upsets. In your scenario Tor would need to upset Hou or LAC to make the finals.

You said it. I quit watching NBA regular season years ago, as a kid, because you could see that none of the players even cared until late in the season.
Tor doesnt beat either of those teams and doesnt make the finals and beat an injured gs then.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
At this point it's very obvious that the number of minutes/games a player plays during the regular season needs to be reduced to ensure a quality product for the playoffs. The NBPA specifically should be pushing hard for fewer games and/or guaranteed rest for players, but the drop in revenue from a significantly shortened season will likely blunt any real push for it since the players will take the brunt of it through payroll cuts. Even with the plan they are talking about at best it would be a 4 game reduction for the season. It'd be great if the league could eliminate back to backs at least.

Kwhit10

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of reseeding, they should have the top half of the playoff teams choose who they want to play for the next series.

If 4 teams left, the top seed chooses who they want to play from seeds 3 and 4.

It probably wouldn't change much when only a few teams left. But for earlier rounds this could mitigate when a really good team gets a lower seed due to I juries earlier in the year for a worse record but are fully healthy for the playoffs.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Tor doesnt beat either of those teams and doesnt make the finals and beat an injured gs then.

That means they failed at their attempt to upset better teams

I feel like you are arguing that the system is better when inferior teams get softer paths to finals. How's that better for the integrity of the competition?

If Tor deserves to be in the finals, they'd find a way to beat any team they encounter prior. Reseeding doesn't eliminate upsets in any other sport. Why would it happen here?

Last edited:

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused why would those not count as upsets? Tor was the best team of those 3. They'd have the best superstar of the 3(Clips didn't even have 1) and they're way deeper than Houston. If they lost that would have been an upset!

They should eliminate every back to back with this change. Also they should use both money and a guaranteed high draft pick as an incentive for players/teams for mid season tourney.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
I honestly don't see the point of a tournament during the season when there is already a postseason tournament. In Europe there are no postseason tournaments, so having a knockout cup during the season makes more sense.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
The NBA sucks because the gap between talent is too big.

We have a ton of players that declare and are drafted because that's what's available - I'm not a fan of one n done's and even high school graduates. For me there needs to be a higher level of skill and maturity entering the draft. Then maybe the average drafter is actually decent. We have so many busts these days.

If we actually had more decent players coming in we would have more parity which might help when the load management problem

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
The two full months of playoffs isnt a problem to me at all. At least its meaningful stuff. Its the long ass regular season, that is NOW being more and more saturated by star players resting to avoid being injured/tires when the REAL meaningful basketball starts in the playoffs. Something has to change. Perhaps a combination of seeding and fewer games might do it.

Its a chore to follow for me. I'm lucky if I catch 2-3 games in the first round unless theres a good matchup. And the Finals having like 2 games a week is crazy to me. Less games is a money loser for every party involved so I don't think that is what they will settle on either.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Junk idea. No one wants a tournament. Reduce season to 60ish games. How bout 66?

Adopt 1-16 seeding regardless of conference. And you can do a play in for the 15/16 spots and bring in the 17/18 teams.

That's all they need to do. They're gonna kill the golden goose with this unnecessary shit.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Load Management. Players were already approaching the regular season as a joke but recent years have shown the regular season to be detrimental to the success of a team. Players would take being an 8 seed if it meant they can have additional games off.

A huge overall absolutely needs to be done where either regular season performance has a bigger impact on the post season or they shorten the regular season.

Yeah I'm looking at the Clippers as a fucking 4th seed and I know the thought process is "who cares, we'll try in the playoffs". I didn't really think the regular season was pointless, but if you're going to game the system like that it totally is lol

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Why wouldn't they? An in-season tournament is bound to drive more revenue, and reseeding is going to create considerably more interest from NBA fans watching late round playoff action.
I'm not sure what problem reseeding or the mid season tournament would solve. The one thing about the NBA playoff 7 game format is that it basically ensures the best team will win each series. Also what about a meaningless tournament is supposed to be exciting to fans or players for that matter? It's still more meaningless games that are just serving as a buffer for the post season. And I'm confused about what the eliminated teams would do in the middle of the season as this tournament goes on.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It's fucking nuts how much nba players are babied nowadays. Load management is out of hand and makes going to games a crap shoot about whether or not games are competitive and interesting.

Private jets. Less back to backs. Huge increases in salary. Amazing training staffs. Increased rosters. Telegraphed drug screenings than end in April. World class chefs and dietary choices.

The nba has less games and more off time than mlb. Guaranteed contracts unlike the nfl. Far less debilitating injuries than the nfl and NHL. The most recognizable stars that are famous worldwide. The ability to market yourself and make a brand name that rivals soccer.

I don't really have a point to this rant other than just being an old thirty something dude that is constantly amazed how much whining nba players do given their ownership over the league. Players are super entitled and don't appreciate how fucking good they have it compared to guys 15 years ago and later. Plus the NBA is light years ahead in terms of glamor and prestige than the wnba but I don't hear women complaining constantly about how shitty they have it comparatively. Grow up nba players.

Rant over. Bill Simmons proposed the tournament idea like 10 years ago and depending on how it's implemented it could be cool. Reseeding is definitely a good idea.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It's fucking nuts how much nba players are babied nowadays. Load management is out of hand and makes going to games a crap shoot about whether or not games are competitive and interesting.

Load management is such a hot topic because injuries to major players have been ruining the playoffs for multiple years running. Lebron played an insane number of minutes per game for the Lakers last year and didn't even make it to the playoffs because of mid season injuries. Kevin Durant ended up missing most of the playoffs and eventually tore his achilles, and his teammate Klay Thompson tore his ACL during the Finals. Meanwhile Toronto load managed a one legged man to a championship last year. It's in the NBA's best interest to have it's superstars playing in the post season.

Three 6 Mafia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't they? An in-season tournament is bound to drive more revenue, and reseeding is going to create considerably more interest from NBA fans watching late round playoff action.

I misspoke, I meant the NBAPA.
What's the incentive for this tournament for the players? Why not just get eliminated and then enjoy the break while the tournament continues?

The reseeding thing is interesting however the logistics around it don't seem simple. I can't wait until its 2 California teams are in the Finals and every game comes on at 10PM EST

ViperVisor

Oct 29, 2017
Something needs to be done.

It's not even Thanksgiving and were looking at a chunk of teams with 90-some% confidence as playoff teams and another chunck the opposite.
And you can argue it's actually worse to be 1 of the teams in the middle where it is 50/50 to be a playoff team.

The league is semi-broken. You can say it's always be like this but it's never been more obvious.
Back in the 80s-90s team fan-bases were more insulated. You didn't have the internet and analytics. Ignorance was bliss.

OP
OP
Bronx-Man

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's a pretty weak prize for a tourney tbh. Most of these guys already making multi-millions.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how the play-in tournament factors into the game count. Couldn't some teams end up playing more than 82 games?

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The amount of games in the reg season and no regulation is why I stopped watching US sports. NFL is ok, but the fact tanking is a legitimate tactic is pathetic and boring. That's why football and especially the English premier league is a far superior product