• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For years, there has been rampant discussion about whether the greatest League of Legends player of all time, Lee "Faker" Sang-hyeok, would ever wear a jersey other than one from T1, the only professional team he has ever played for. Faker has even publicly stated on national television in his home country of South Korea that teams have offered him a "blank check" to play abroad.

Those discussions can finally come to an end. The three-time League of Legends world champion is going nowhere.

Faker has re-signed a three-year deal with T1, beginning in 2020. It's the maximum length permitted by the game's developer, Riot Games. Along with his new contract, Faker will become a part-owner of T1 Entertainment & Sports. In contract negotiations, Faker and T1 also agreed that he will move into a leadership role with the company when he retires from playing professionally.

This also aligns with Faker's mandatory military service, so after his contract expires, he does his service, comes back in a leadership role.

www.espn.com

Faker's groundbreaking new contract -- from T1 superstar to part-owner

Lee "Faker" Sang-hyeok has been the face of League of Legends for years. Now he'll be part-owner of T1 after signing a new three-year deal with the team.

EscoBlades

Banned
May 31, 2019
Toronto
Hard to argue against this move given what he means to the org, and his impact.
Just purely from a monetary standpoint, this is mutually beneficial.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
He is actually ranked #65 in global ranking by tournaments earnings and he does not have a salary of $3 million.

Winnings mean nothing. Vulcan (historically a mid-tier LoL player with promise) just got picked up for a $1.5M buyout. Faker pulls $2.5M a year. Guys in NA LoL like Bjergsen, Doublelift, Impact, etc... are getting over a million a year.

I know people on this forum don't really interact with LoL that much, but as a scene, it's fucking huge. Players have salaries, endorsements, contracts, a union in NA (maybe other regions, but I know there's an NA player association).

On topic, Bjergsen also became a part-owner of TSM. I think we'll see franchise players consider the option moving forward. I could totally see a couple others do that if offered (maybe Rekkles and Fnatic?)

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Holy shit

not just a part owner of the team, but part owner of the entire T1 Entertainment and Sports division. wtf