• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
The next big Elder Scrolls Online adventure is right around the corner, and you can watch the spectacular Vegas announcement via Twitch.tv/Bethesda this Thursday, January 16.
Skyrim.jpg

From a data mined picture Haafingar will be in this next chapter, so Castle Volkihar is likely in as well. From pre-reveal teases, the year looks to be vampire themed although I could also see it being Forsworn in nature:

Mechanically I hope they introduce mounted combat which funnily enough was added with the Dawnguard update with Skyrim. In terms of class or skill line potential: Vampire lord/Bard would be welcomed.

Update:

Dark Heart of Skyrim:

Trailer:

Pre-order/Collectors Items
0ef42b0479e23e817df1ca5e5f1f0522.jpg
02395dee997246b0decc4e9fd3d39163.jpg

39c3ec58df93b39e135d57c62e1ece1b.jpg

Screens:
eso_greymoor_screenshots_large_01_7zl30o7vcivygrp.png

eso_greymoor_screenshots_large_02_8ovscg5ecv2obnq.png

eso_greymoor_screenshots_large_05_4gdgqjjdopibma8.png

Details:
  • Year long story set in Skyrim includes vampires, werewolves and witches, re-worked vampire skill line
  • Q1 Dungeon DLC is called Harrowstorm including a Hammerfell themed dungeon as well as Icereach an island in the Sea of the Ghosts
  • Chapter DLC is titled Greymoor and includes, Haafingar (Solitude hold), Hjaalmarch(Morthal hold), Blackreach (bigger than Skyrim, 40% playable space)
  • Story zone DLC hinted to be the Reach hold (Markarth)
  • New antiquity system: Determine artifacts location and excavate it both vanilla and DLC zones included uncover powerful gear as well as housing decorations
  • Performance updates continued, will have to re-download entire game but is ~30 GB smaller, will help with loading, patching and overall performance

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I really liked how in the bit of Skyrim in the game currently, you can go to locations that look pretty similar to Skyrim game itself. That little bit we can see in that teaser image seems to show they're doing the same.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure what I want/expect. Last xpac has a new class, so that's probably off the table this go round. Hopefully a cool class-agnostic skill tree or even new type of weapon. I know folks have been clamoring for options for new magic weapons beyond staff, maybe we'll finally see that.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I'm cautiously optimistic.
ZOS has been working on performance optimizations that are supposed to be completed by the May/June launch, so PvP should be smoother, etc.

Will there be any real Quality of Life improvements beyond performance? Any new gameplay features? Or just a new land to explore ("Chapter") with an emphasis on one new Skill Line that ties into it? That's what I want to find out.

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Will there be any real Quality of Life improvements beyond performance? Any new gameplay features? Or just a new land to explore ("Chapter") with an emphasis on one new Skill Line that ties into it? That's what I want to find out.
My biggest concern is we just get more of the same. They really need something new this time around. Even something like jewelry crafting was just adding to an existing crafting mechanic. There needs to be something that makes the whole game feel new and not just the segmented Skyrim part.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
My reason for optimism is they are trying to make this an event.
They are going to Vegas, rather than just streaming something from the home office. Pete Hines is showing up - the company's global VP of Marketing. While they do three or four mini-events on stage year-round, having notable ESO YouTubers as part of the event seems interesting. Some media companies like GameSpot are streaming the event; perhaps they've been clued in.

I think they know we want a jolt. We want a little something extra. We've had three previous Chapters that followed an established formula - and no improvements or changes after a while can get dull. I think they will do something to shake it up.

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
Finished getting all of the trial hard mode clears the other week, can't wait for a new one! Hoping some serious work is put into PvP this Chapter as well.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The best MMO with the worst combat :)

I would argue that it has the most engaging MMO combat on the market mechically speaking, but certain skills should certainly be tweaked to make them more balanced or viable. ESO has ruined all other MMOs for me because of the slower combat.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope we get to see more of the Cloud District. Idk if it's just me, but it seemed like we never went there often in TESV.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
My biggest concern is we just get more of the same. They really need something new this time around. Even something like jewelry crafting was just adding to an existing crafting mechanic. There needs to be something that makes the whole game feel new and not just the segmented Skyrim part.
Biggest problem with ESO expansions has been more of the same for sure. They could really use with stepping up the quest designs and combat. It's a great mmo but it's starting to feel like an annual template content dump (with an occasional new class).

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest problem with ESO expansions has been more of the same for sure. They could really use with stepping up the quest designs and combat. It's a great mmo but it's starting to feel like an annual template content dump (with an occasional new class).

I've definitely seen this outlook emphasized around the net of late, yeah. ESO is a good game overall, but it does feel like once they finally got it to a good place after their rough launch they sort of got scared of rocking the boat in any significant way.

I'm at least hopeful there will be a major revamp to Champion points. It was mentioned that they were taking a serious look at the system's overall state and future when they didn't raise the cap with Elswyr, so the next chapter would be a great time to announce whatever its revamp/replacement looks like.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Having only dabbled in lower levels, I'm curious what they are gonna show. The internet makes it sound like it needs a proper refreshment in some form.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Stepping into the 21st century and adding an LOD system to the game would be great. I also find it amusing that mountains are impassable in ESO, always a big point of contention in previous expansions (large maps, but lots of impassable mountains), yet this is set in Skyrim =P

"See that mountain? You can't go there."

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Site update with more info:

THE DARK HEART OF SKYRIM
An ancient evil emerges from the depths, intent on devouring the souls of Skyrim. A dark tide of monsters rise from Blackreach and threatens to plunge all of Tamriel into darkness.

In the Dark Heart of Skyrim, you can experience a new year-long adventure, beginning with the upcoming Harrowstorm DLC dungeon pack and continuing through the Greymoor Chapter and beyond. You can experience the entire massive story in these upcoming releases:

Keep an eye on for more updates on this new year-long epic soon, starting with Harrowstorm!

THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE: HARROWSTORM
The Dark Heart of Skyrim storyline begins with the Harrowstorm dungeon DLC, kicking off as soon as this February. Featuring two new dungeons, Harrowstorm has you contend with a supernatural storm in Icereach and explore the depths of Unhallowed Grave. As you discover the dark forces that threaten Skryim, the events of this DLC will lead directly into the Greymoor Chapter.

THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE: GREYMOOR
Supernatural harrowstorms plague Western Skyrim, and dark beasts, led by a powerful Vampire Lord, devour souls to further their mysterious plans. In The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor, ESO's newest Chapter, you must defend the besieged Nords and uncover the evil behind this monstrous resurgence.

This Chapter brings all-new adventures to ESO players, including:

• A new zone to explore: Western Skyrim
  • A gothic main story quest line that ties into the Dark Heart of Skyrim adventure
  • An intriguing new system: Antiquities
  • A massive new 12-player Trial: Kyne's Aegis
  • New world events: Harrowstorms
  • New delves, public dungeons, and stand-alone quests
  • Updates and quality-of-life improvements including a rework of the Vampire Skill Line (free for all ESO players)
The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor is coming to PC/Mac on May 18 and Xbox One and PlayStation®4 on June 2. You can pre-purchase Greymoor right now for PC/Mac and Xbox One. Greymoor is coming soon to the PlayStation®Store—check this help article for more information.

In addition to this, we are thrilled to announce that Greymoor will be coming to Stadia. Stay tuned for more information about how you can play ESO on Stadia in the coming months!

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yeah, I've been excited for expanded Skyrim zones for a while.

It's wild how much content ESO can put out there and how much I love it all.

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Updated the OP with everything stated so far.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Hm, I guess it's cool to go back to Skyrim and check out a new gothic underground section but there doesn't seem like there's much new in terms of mechanics besides the antiquity system. Performance improvements are always nice but in terms of content roadmap it seems pretty by the books and too similar to their previous content outings.

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I guess it's cool to go back to Skyrim and check out a new gothic underground section but there doesn't seem like there's much new in terms of mechanics besides the antiquity system. Performance improvements are always nice but in terms of content roadmap it seems pretty by the books and too similar to their previous content outings.
Agreed and I'm worried the antiquity system is just going to be like the Psijic portals in the grand scheme of things which would be pretty bad. I really want new weapons that feel different, mounted combat, things that impact the game the majority of the time.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Dumb question but is Skyrim the same game world as ESO?
I've never bothered with either but I heard one has base building?? If so can it be played with other players in a group?

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing that would have been nice that was never mentioned at all would be making the overland content more challenging because at the moment it requires no thought.

Izzwan

Oct 27, 2017
Malaysia
Biggest thing that holds this game back for me is the combat. The animation and the lack of feedback when hitting an enemy just kills it for me. The rest of the game is great though.

Another thing that would have been nice that was never mentioned at all would be making the overland content more challenging because at the moment it requires no thought.
Biggest thing that holds this game back for me is the combat. The animation and the lack of feedback when hitting an enemy just kills it for me. The rest of the game is great though.
These aspects are the biggest things they need to address IMO. As much as I like the game, this stuff is draining my enjoyment at this point.

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
If they could do better I'm sure they would lol
As much as I would like it, I bet it's largely due in part to engine limitations and the player base getting upset with an overhaul. As hard as it is to believe I'm sure there's people out there that would be upset with change.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
Dumb question but is Skyrim the same game world as ESO?
I've never bothered with either but I heard one has base building?? If so can it be played with other players in a group?

All of the Elder Scrolls games, ESO included, take place in the same setting, just centuries or even millennia apart. ESO takes place far before the Skyrim singleplayer game.

As for base building, I don't think either game has true building, at least not in that regard. Skyrim had a DLC that allowed you to construct a home in about three pre-determined spots but it was only along set upgrade paths. ESO allows you to have a home and you can furnish it but I don't know if there's free form building.

The two games from Bethesda that had actual base building were Fallout 4, which was the most comprehensive one, and Fallout 76, a multiplayer game which seriously restrained what you could do in total by giving each player a budget that slightly increased as you leveled up. Your base would also disappear the moment you logged off so there was no shared construction.