• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I f**king LOVE Nightdive.

I'm really excited to play this, even though I own it on Saturn it's something I never played but always wanted to.

Can't say that particular date is great but it's still one I'll add to my list lol.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Nightdive are pretty much my favorite developer, so I'll be all over this like a rash when it hits Steam.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I was saving reward points for Elden Ring (assuming its XsX performance is better now, ofc) but I might just get the ND xbox Quadralogy instead…

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
To anyone who still doesn't get the hype.

Exhumed is one of the best FPS games of all time. OF ALL TIME.

It did a bunch of things in the mid-90s for FPS games that we only started taking for granted later on, like having a world map and revisiting levels instead of clearing them one in a row, upgrading your character with new abilities, solving level puzzles etc.

It's up there with the Hexen series for me.
But Hexen and System Shock did that earlier.

(but I'm still excited about this one)

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
This the one people call a proto metroid prime ?

Basically.

You go from level to level and some ways aren't accessible until you come back with the right tool (Jumping/Hover/Breathe Underwater etc) and you basically go back through levels and find new passages that lead to new exits/secrets. Essentially Metroid Prime before Metroid Prime.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Basically.

You go from level to level and some ways aren't accessible until you come back with the right tool (Jumping/Hover/Breathe Underwater etc) and you basically go back through levels and find new passages that lead to new exits/secrets. Essentially Metroid Prime before Metroid Prime.
But there are separated levels, right? Older metroidvanias are annoying regarding backtracking and lack of teleport mechanic (Shadow Man I think has that issue?).

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
To anyone who still doesn't get the hype.

Exhumed is one of the best FPS games of all time. OF ALL TIME.

It did a bunch of things in the mid-90s for FPS games that we only started taking for granted later on, like having a world map and revisiting levels instead of clearing them one in a row, upgrading your character with new abilities, solving level puzzles etc.

It's up there with the Hexen series for me.

Let's not forget the Mega-Man style ammo system. Ammo orbs were universal for all weapons, you'd switch to the gun you wanted to reload with that amount of orb. It made the ammo economy so fun.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
But there are separated levels, right? Older metroidvanias are annoying regarding backtracking and lack of teleport mechanic (Shadow Man I think has that issue?).

Levels are separated with a map and you move between them when you reach the end. New levels open up and become accessable on the map when you find an alternative exit. Which in this case is a camel.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
But is it an unholy mix, separated versions, or a remixed saturn mechanic with some psx assets?
The content is combined together and levels adapted to take the best of whichever either console. So level areas are either from the Saturn, PS1, or a mix of the two, as PSX was notably more cramped yet detailed, while Saturn was more open but sometimes sparse. Numerous graphical settings are provided so you can make the game visual style look like either the Saturn or PS1 as well, or a mix of both. There's even CRT shader options. I expect Digital Foundry to be messing with them for hours. :V

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
The content is combined together and levels adapted to take the best of whichever either console. So level areas are either from the Saturn, PS1, or a mix of the two, as PSX was notably more cramped yet detailed, while Saturn was more open buy sometimes sparse. Numerous graphical settings are provided so you can make the game visual style look like either the Saturn or PS1 as well, or a mix of both. There's even CRT shader options. I expect Digital Foundry to be messing with them for hours. :V

Look.

The most important question of all.

Can we switch between the red and blue scorpions?

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Another Nightdive port I will just instantly buy. Hopefully out on Xbox at the same time.

Shadowman has teleports. The real issue is the lack of a map and the maze like structure with lots of hallways looking the same. Makes navigation in a 3D space hard.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Shadowman has teleports. The real issue is the lack of a map and the maze like structure with lots of hallways looking the same. Makes navigation in a 3D space hard.
Nice, then I'll get it and just have a map handy. Considering age and length can't be much more complex than Control, albeit with less visual identity to help…right?

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Might have to pick this up. I have fond memories of constantly playing the PS1 demo

Oct 27, 2017
The content is combined together and levels adapted to take the best of whichever either console. So level areas are either from the Saturn, PS1, or a mix of the two, as PSX was notably more cramped yet detailed, while Saturn was more open but sometimes sparse. Numerous graphical settings are provided so you can make the game visual style look like either the Saturn or PS1 as well, or a mix of both. There's even CRT shader options. I expect Digital Foundry to be messing with them for hours. :V
I-am-rich-floyd-mayweather-throwing-money.gif

YES YES

Oct 27, 2017

You just sold me on this.

I mean, I was sold anyway, but hearing that it's a best of both worlds situation has me REALLY sold.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Nice. I've been watching my Saturn version skyrocket on pricecharting, and I've been wanting to finally get around to finishing it, but didn't want to pull everything out just for that.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
On Xbox it's had a nonfunctional Pre-order up for a few days pointing to 02/09/22 as the release date. Is it still going up today, or is that date just wrong? I ask because Shadowman Remastered came out earlier on Xbox than on Switch, so releasing a day earlier wouldn't be out of the ordinary (especially given the placeholder).

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Holy shit, I had no ides this was coming out. Powerslave was my fucking jam back on the PS1, still have my copy in storage. Buying this shit on PS4 with a quickness once it's available.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the Saturn version a different and superior game than the PS1 version ?

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I remember DF's video showing that the PS1 version had some technical advantages over the Saturn, especially with alpha-transparancies. I imagine this remastered one will feature those, whilst including the slightly more complex geometry of Saturn.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the differences between the versions y'all are talking about?