• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 1, 2018
Even star citizen recently added female playable characters, they have a complete different posture, animations, walking animations, heights so they had to change all 100 ships to make them fit. Im glad they did so shame on you ETF

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
casual reminder that the vast majority of people who are going to play this game would not be able to handle being in a real combat scenario

so check yourself before you wreck yourself defending misogyny

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why THE LORE excuse Will always be bs no matter if it's say by indie dev or CDP

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I loven how people get bogged down on lore bit and 100% ignore Nikita stating bigger deal being resources available to team.

Jan 10, 2018
Why do males and females even have to have separate animation for soldier movement? It feels like they are talking about stereotypical body movement when they say it's too hard to animate; swaying hips, bouncing boobs etc. But why the hell is that necessery for a war game?

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
It's a video game. Not a combat zone, a video game. Women play video games too and like to also be represented like men do in the majority of video games available. The entire point of video games are being able to do things that would have severe consequences in real life, or are downright impossible. Women also play video games and like to be represented just as much as men are. And then pretending to not know the difference between women and children, come the fuck on.

And what the fuck does war have to do with this? It's a FICTIONAL VIDEO GAME, no women are being "lost" in a fucking video game. Quit making excuses for hating women if you're that eager to get banned and say it straight.

GTA V is a videogame, and it was banned for sale by some of the biggest retailers in Australia solely for the reason you could assault/kill women NPC's...think about that for a second before getting so angsty.

Even star citizen recently added female playable characters, they have a complete different posture, animations, walking animations, heights so they had to change all 100 ships to make them fit. Im glad they did so shame on you ETF

"Even Star Citizen recently added female playable characters"...oh you mean the game that's so far received $250 million fucking dollars in crowdfunding?

What a compelling argument you put forward there, no holes in that whatsoever.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I loven how people get bogged down on lore bit and 100% ignore Nikita stating bigger deal being resources available to team.
Because the lore is something they chose to act as a restriction. It's not a game engine so they shouldn't cite it as something holding them back because it's somehow immutable. This is without into going into what others have mentioned about "perfection" of the character actions not needing to be necessary. Doing a simple body swap the way thousands of games do from Mass Effect to Dark Souls isn't going to fundamentally ruin the presentation so trying to pin it on budget and resources makes it suspect.

Jun 1, 2018
GTA V is a videogame, and it was banned for sale by some of the biggest retailers in Australia solely for the reason you could assault/kill women NPC's...think about that for a second before getting so angsty.

"Even Star Citizen recently added female playable characters"...oh you mean the game that's so far received $250 million fucking dollars in crowdfunding?

whats your point?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

So don't say it's about the deep lore, or that women can't be in combat. It sounds like 1940.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So don't say it's about the deep lore, or that women can't be in combat. It sounds like 1940.

Straight from tweets in OP:

"...and more importantly - the huge amount of work needed with animations, gear fitting etc"

Tweet didn't end to word "lore".

Is "lore" sad excuse? Hell yes it's, but there is more and more important things to it. I'm inclined to believe that bigger deal is resources as Nikita seems to shoot it straight with Tarkov community when it comes to why something is or isn't in.

Edit: He also got pissed off when he got accused of saying that shit about women and combat.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I can maybe see a point with regards to gear fitting as that makes sense, since the dudes in Tarkov are very blocky. As for animations they can pretty much use the same animations...it's not like Tarkov has amazing animations in the first place. Women animating like men would just be one more jank in a sea of jank anyway...but it would be inclusive at the very least.

You don't have to have big boobs, big butt, jiggle physics to add women in the game.

But that whole thing about lore + women not allowed in war and women can't handle it is such a pathetic response by them.

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Sooooo....

If Nikita "never said that!" and "totally respects" women in the military, then what are these nebulous "lore reasons" that there are no playable women in the game?

It's a rhetorical question. I'm aware that the lore reasons don't actually exist and they're frantically scribbling down some shitty backstory as we speak to explain why you can't be a girl in their game. But I'm morbidly curious to find out what that shitty backstory turns out to be and how totally respectful it will be to women in combat roles.

Also lol @ "that one employee was reprimanded for blatant misogyny while speaking on behalf of our company in an official capacity." Man I wish I had that kind of job security.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
So, do you have a point here or are you just trying to shift the conversation?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
The way the community around Tarkov reacts to this topic tells me to stay far, far away from this game tbh.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you even need the animations to be all that different for a female character?

Look at how MGSV handled it, you have both male and female playable characters sharing Venom's excellent animation and it works fine.

These are combat ready women, they aren't going to move all that differently unless you intentionally make the animations "girly".

This is what I'm wondering too. I bet there's very little difference in the posture of professional male vs female runners. I reckon they're just misogynistic pricks and this is their go-to excuse when their real reason is that they think women shouldn't be soldiers (as pointed out in a couple of other interviews people have posted),

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who in their right mind doesn't set aside time and budget to include female character animations in a game that lets you make a custom character?
Probably a dev team lacking any sort of diversity, so it isn't an immediate thought or any kind of priority.

Anyway, as long as they acknowledge that people wish to play as a female avatar and eventually implement it, cool. Just stop with the silly excuses.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The best tweet i saw was one that basically said "When you start building your next game, start with the female characters then add the male characters when you have time/budget".

There's literally no good reason (money/business/target markets doesn't count) why the male characters get built/rigged/animated first.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So something like Counter-Strike from a million years ago?

I guess then all the games with fixed protag design outside of clothes is "like Counter-Strike from a million years ago".

Edit: In ETF case you either are "BEAR" or "USEC", games two factions with both having single character model with zero face etc. modification options

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
User banned (2 months): sexism and condescension over a series of posts
There's literally no good reason (money/business/target markets doesn't count) why the male characters get built/rigged/animated first.

Business and target markets don't count as a good reason? We don't live in a communist utopia yet buddy. That's a primary factor. Imagine tailoring your game to a vocal minority who don't actually play their type of game much in the first place.

This is the price they pay for their game finally blowing up I guess.

Jul 24, 2018
I know right, who needs any character models in the game? Just move around as ghosts.

Thing like character customization (face features etc.) isn't even on the roadmap atm afaik, if you meant that.
It's more the general attitude of attributing female characters, and or female protagonists as an after thought that I find incredibly tiring. Or lame excuses like lore or women can't be delinquents (in regards to Persona 5) etc.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
What the fuck? Why are they repeating their same shitty stance? They had this damn near exact comment over a year ago, which is why when a friend tried to convince me to buy the game, I opted out.

Yeah, back in 2016. Not exactly the same like I thought, but fuck ever giving them a dime:
wow this is so much worse than it seemed. the fuck kind of alternate reality are they living in.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
You're surprised people are reacting to misogynistic excuses? And not once but twice. Kinda muddies the waters a tad, regardless if they say it's ultimately down to resources, don't you think?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

To be clear, I think the point here is that if managed properly, it definitely doesn't cost "too much".

But it has a cost and if the point is to imply otherwise, I'm baffled. Adding ANYTHING has a cost, especially if they mismanaged and didn't plan for it.

Yes I know they should definitely get flak if they didn't because duh, why exclude women characters in the first place?

But it does have a cost, it's just a negligible one if planned properly.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
Great game, shitty statement. In beta status one player model is quite ok, but on launch they should add a female model an customization options.

Maybe the studio doensn't even care about the player model. The only time i see my strange looking bear pmc is when he gets killed and stripped of his armor.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
From checking reddit, the community is pretty garbage.
I am likely going to get modded for this, but I have to get the thought out.

Do we actually need women to be represented in a combat zone? And if we do, why don't we represent children in the combat zone as well? Hell knows there's all too many of them out there.

edit:
Speaking as a Russian, I'd like people to know that we lost way too many men to the war. If you'll excuse us, some of us hate to see women being lost to it.
Whether they want to or not.
Congrats on having a take worse than the dev's.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
I met some people from the dev team in a couple of conferences (I think one was GDC) and they always gave me some weird vibe, sadly my reservations seem to be justified...

Do we actually need women to be represented in a combat zone? And if we do, why don't we represent children in the combat zone as well? Hell knows there's all too many of them out there.

edit:
Speaking as a Russian, I'd like people to know that we lost way too many men to the war. If you'll excuse us, some of us hate to see women being lost to it.
The take was already bad by itself, but the edit is what makes this post so truly bad.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

edit:
Bruh.

Really?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

edit:
Women in combat aren't children. They're trained soldiers. This isn't a very difficult concept.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
So it's either A) "We don't think women can handle war as good as men" or B) "We're too lazy to do animations for female models)" or C) "Both", I'm guessing C.

edit:

Wow.. if I had a wall of shame I would frame this and hang it up there.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Business and target markets don't count as a good reason? We don't live in a communist utopia yet buddy. That's a primary factor. Imagine tailoring your game to a vocal minority who don't actually play their type of game much in the first place.

Ok - every time I re-read your post I see more impilcit assumptions you're making, which are just bad views to have, so I made a list to try and work through them:-

Business and target markets don't count as a good reason?

Umm no they don't - there are lots of morally dubious, outright dodgy and indeed illegal businesses and target markets...so the simple fact that you can make money is not a good reason for doing anything.

We don't live in a communist utopia yet buddy.

1. There's a big difference between suggesting that business/money can be a bad reason to do something, and advocating for communism in one form or another.
2. Capitalism generally works but isn't great, and needs a lot of other systems bolted on top to stop it going completely bonkers.
3. I'm not sure why you called me buddy? was it meant in a friendly arm round the shoulder way, or a menacing "shut up buddy!" kind of way?

Imagine tailoring your game to a vocal minority who don't actually play their type of game much in the first place.

1. Which vocal minority? people who want women to stop being under-represented in games? Or women themselves? or some other minority?
2. Depending on the answer to 1, your assumption that someone in "vocal minority" doesn't play that type of game, is pretty shitty. You're either generally implying that men who want women to be represented, tend not to place this type of game...or that women don't play them*

1. What price are they paying exactly? So far the only thing that's happened to them is some awkward questions and possibly some people not buying their game....plenty of people are still buying it
2. There's an undertone of "my special thing is now popular and i don't like it being criticised" but I may be reading too much into your post...it feels like it comes across that way though.

*I missed out some sets of people here, e.g. non-binary folk in general and women who don't care about women being under-represented in games...but I wasn't clever enough to figure out a way to include them all and keep it readable!

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
edit:
It's a fictional video game and not an actual war so I don't understand what the point of this argument is

Plenty of miltary games have playable women, I mean ffs this is the current icon for Modern Warfare

Call%20of%20Duty:%20Modern%20Warfare-272x363.jpg

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
*Over analysis and rambling too big to quote*

lol. You flat out say deciding x for marketing/money doesn't count as a valid reason to do something. They have done nothing illegal or dubious, it's a small game with limited resources. Are you aware how ridiculous what you are saying is?

You're basically just saying - this is completely unacceptable because I'm not going to factor in the most important thing because subjectively I don't think that's valid. Absolute insanity. It is a good reason and you made a very stupid comment which I felt the need to reply to.

Also it's not an assumption. It's a fucking fact that the astronomically large percentage of people into games like Tarkov are male. Just like if you go to any sort of super serious airsoft shooting thing, it's all dudes. Dudes love this shit. Ladies not so much. Some do sure but it's just nonsense to say otherwise. I don't disagree it sucks for the minority of women who do enjoy this stuff that they don't feel represented, but this is a small studio and it's just not a big deal in this instance.

And I don't play tarkov and tired of this genre after the eary days of dayz. Not protective of it at all.