• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nikita's response has been shit. "I didn't say that!" Someone on the team important enough to be showing the whole game off at Gamescon said it. That's....better? The Battlestate Games response is a better apology than much of what Nikita has offered.

Okay? They still say the employee was not in a key position - likely only marketing, if he was at Gamescom - and was disciplined. There is no reason to keep dragging up 4 year old drama that they've already dealt with internally.

May 10, 2019
It must cost a fortune for fighting games to have to animate all the females on their rosters. I can't even fathom how much Dead or Alive must cost.
tenor.gif

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
That's fair. But earning the money I would give you was also a lot of work, so I'm not giving you any.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I have to admit, I had a bit of new decade optimism going into 2020.

Man that shit got vaporised real quick in this first week lol

Oct 26, 2017
Okay? They still say the employee was not in a key position - likely only marketing, if he was at Gamescom - and was disciplined. There is no reason to keep dragging up 4 year old drama that they've already dealt with internally.
It's hard to imagine a scenario where the studio made a key decision to not include women, talked with the group about why, then this guy went to present the game and came up with the shit he said on his own about women and war. And Pavel was more than marketing---he was a developer.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree about the willy nilly posting of WCCFTech articles, when it comes to their throw shit at a wall tech insider posting style, but in this case they have literally called it a transcript of an interview, so the dev calling it fake is quite the accusation.

I'd really like to get a comment from the site on the developer saying they never made that statement, because if they made that up, oh boy...

But again, citing it as a transcript of an interview implies a lot of credibility.

It seems that the guy posting on reddit wasn't the one interviewed and it was someone else in the company hence saying he never said that.

It's still a pretty awful attitude.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
it is an entirely new animation set across all actions. That isn't no work. Whether it's too much is up for debate, but their is additional work required.

It's an FPS. Do you really need to arbitrarily have a gender-specific animation of a gloved hand reloading a rifle or whatever? What exactly would be the disastrous consequences of male and female characters sharing a jump animation?

Yup, one dev said something regressive, the whole year's ruined for inclusivity.

Oct 26, 2017
This will be the last fuel to throw on the fire of why I won't be touching Tarkov. They don't respond to criticism well:

A second YouTuber was harassed with DMCA complaints by the Escape from Tarkov team

Last month, Polygon reported on how Battlestate Games abused the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Rather than choosing to cite piracy or unfair use of their content, Battlestate told Polygon that it knowingly made 47 spurious claims against a single YouTuber who goes by the handle Eroktic. Battlestate's goal was not to prevent Eroktic from using their content. Instead, it was simply trying to suppress what it termed as misinformation and "negative hype" in his videos.

Reached for comment, representatives of Battlestate said at the time that the organization was fully aware its was misusing the DMCA system — and defended the company's decision to do so.

At the same time, representatives of the Russian-owned company asserted it had never taken such drastic actions against someone before.

After a monthlong investigation, we've discovered that may not necessarily be true.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Do you even need the animations to be all that different for a female character?

Look at how MGSV handled it, you have both male and female playable characters sharing Venom's excellent animation and it works fine.

These are combat ready women, they aren't going to move all that differently unless you intentionally make the animations "girly".
Still copying the animations from One model to the next while not breaking the model and adjusting it is still a bit of work and can take quite a bit of time if they are very small its not unreasonable to understand but it is not right that they had to be sexist about why just say limited budget but it can be something possible one day

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could you provide your own sources / evidence to backup that claim? I do not immediately see anything via google that the site is unreliable, just that they write rumors and are sometimes right, sometimes wrong.

Not to mention that the article in question implies the interview as recorded.

Here's a big EXCLUSIVE from the site regarding Lisa Su, CEO of AMD. She directly shut their article down for the misinformation that they were spreading. That's pretty slimy considering false information on corporate restructuring can literally affect the market if it isn't snuffed out immediately.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
But these days, women are in the military...

I can agree with you and we discussed it for a very long time, but we came to the conclusion that women can't handle that amount of stress. There's only place for hardened men in this place"

This has to be a troll.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Those comments about women not being able to handle war is so fucking ass backwards it is embarrasing. Tell that to the Peshmerga.

Kurdish_YPG_Fighters_(30358638660)_1-630x441.jpg

In regards to why they won't put them in, it would have been easier to just say "We don't have the resouces/budget to add new models/animations to the game so unfortunately they had to be left out". I am in no way defending these dicks, but yes there would be a need for new animations/mocap for females to make them look right (men walk top heavy, women from the hips). I am an animator/modeller on the side and I can tell you putting male animations on female characters is jarring. New skinning/rigging/weighting/models/normal maps/clothes would need to be made for characters so there is that. Devs need to just say "We can't do it because of budget" and fuck off with the other stuff.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of think that whatever their budget is, it wouldn't cost anything to say "We haven't got female playable characters in right now, but it's something we'll think about for the future".
So replace one lie with another lie more palatable to you? It's clearly not a priority for them. Shame on them for that but from a transparency standpoint I would rather they just say "We have no plans for introducing female playable characters. End stop." I value honesty, even if not the "most appropriate response", over wishy-washy PR any day.

OP
OP
LewieP

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Those comments about women not being able to handle war is so fucking ass backwards it is embarrasing. Tell that to the Peshmerga.

Kurdish_YPG_Fighters_(30358638660)_1-630x441.jpg

In regards to why they won't put them in, it would have been easier to just say "We don't have the resouces/budget to add new models/animations to the game so unfortunately they had to be left out". I am in no way defending these dicks, but yes there would be a need for new animations/mocap for females to make them look right (men walk top heavy, women from the hips). I am an animator/modeller on the side and I can tell you putting male animations on female characters is jarring. New skinning/rigging/weighting/models/normal maps/clothes would need to be made for characters so there is that. Devs need to just say "We can't do it because of budget" and fuck off with the other stuff.
Even "We don't have the budget" is a pretty weak answer, because it betrays the fact that male models/animations are a default requirement, but women are an optional extra.

But yeah it would be better than what they actually said.

So replace one lie with another lie more palatable to you? It's clearly not a priority for them. Shame on them for that but from a transparency standpoint I would rather they just say "We have no plans for introducing female playable characters. End stop." I value honesty, even if not the "most appropriate response", over wishy-washy PR any day.
Well ideally it would also be true rather than a lie. If budget were the main reason (which I doubt but let's run with it), and the game is a massive financial success, the budget reason would no longer apply.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a big EXCLUSIVE from the site regarding Lisa Su, CEO of AMD. She directly shut their article down for the misinformation that they were spreading. That's pretty slimy considering false information on corporate restructuring can literally affect the market if it isn't snuffed out immediately.

What's interesting is that the other articles they list to back up their story were all sourced and accurate. This to me doesn't prove unreliability unless there is more evidence of such. Lots of sites get it wrong every now and then.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What's interesting is that the other articles they list to back up their story were all sourced and accurate. This to me doesn't prove unreliability unless there is more evidence of such. Lots of sites get it wrong every now and then.

I will say that WCCFtech has an absolutely horrible reputation. Just click any average article, they aren't even edited for spelling or grammar.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You're going to make me find more stuff? OK.

Just as a side note I'm not defending these devs. But wccftech needs to stop being used as a reliable source.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Even "We don't have the budget" is a pretty weak answer, because it betrays the fact that male models/animations are a default requirement, but women are an optional extra.

But yeah it would be better than what they actually said.

I get 1-2 weeks per base model 3 days per clothing set for game/film models on average and in some cases I work from home to make up for lost time. Make one base model plus about 15 heads, clothing and such and the price adds up. Cost is always a factor. Publishers will cut budgets if there are delays, or ask you to work for free if you don't meet the budget. Ever worked 9 weeks 12 hours a day on a game project for only $1,177US because that's all the producer could afford for their project? Money is everything in film and games.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

1 game with an incredibly small team with 300k some playerbase is a bad look for 2020 alright.

As for animations, it depends if you want copy/paste because literally everything you do in this game has different animations. Every food, drink, healing item, reloading everything has specific animations. I won't excuse it if the actual head of the game said it but i won't overlook the fact they do have a very small budget, very small team and a very small player base.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're going to make me find more stuff? OK.

Just as a side note I'm not defending these devs. But wccftech needs to stop being used as a reliable source.

Totally understand, and I'm not defending wccftech. I think it's important to make the case that this site is unreliable so that rather than have a one off comment saying they aren't reliable, you can present Era administration evidence they are not.

OP
OP
LewieP

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I get 1-2 weeks per base model 3 days per clothing set for game/film models on average and in some cases I work from home to make up for lost time. Make one base model plus about 15 heads, clothing and such and the price adds up. Cost is always a factor. Publishers will cut budgets if there are delays, or ask you to work for free if you don't meet the budget. Ever worked 9 weeks 12 hours a day on a game project for only $1,177US because that's all the producer could afford for their project? Money is everything in film and games.
But apparently doing all that stuff for male characters has zero costs associated with it?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I did a quick google and found tonnes of people talking about how they're a bullshit rumour mill.

They've been banned from this sub on Reddit, for instance.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Totally understand, and I'm not defending wccftech. I think it's important to make the case that this site is unreliable so that rather than have a one off comment saying they aren't reliable, you can present Era administration evidence they are not.

I'll go about doing it this way instead of murking up this thread with my disdain for them.

I did a quick google and found tonnes of people talking about how they're a bullshit rumour mill.

They've been banned from this sub on Reddit, for instance.

They're also banned on r/AMD, r/PCGaming, and r/Nvidia.

OP
OP
LewieP

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
No no no that is not what I am saying at all. Please don't strawman this.

Every model costs regardless.
Certainly seems like a weird coincidence that they had exactly the budget for including playable men, but not enough budget for including playable women. I wonder why they prioritised playable men!

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is kinda exploding right now. Reminds me of the Mordhau situation alot.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Certainly seems like a weird coincidence that they had exactly the budget for including playable men, but not enough budget for including playable women. I wonder why they prioritised playable men!

That's up to them. Maybe it was on the cards? I don't know, I don't work for the studio or publisher.

If you make 10 male and 10 female models, the cost is roughly the same.
7 men 3 females. Same
9 females 1 man. Same.

Now, if you're given 20 weeks at 1 week per model because that's all the budget allows. They could have made 10M/10F. Suddenly the project gets less money and the director changes his mind and says they've only got 8 weeks and only 3 male models are done. Guess they're going to have to just get the rest done as male and vice/versa.

Once again I am not defending these assholes at all, just saying hypotheticals that have happened to me in the past.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well. I know it takes time to remodel armor, make new animations, and whatnot., but isn't this something that should have been budgeted for accordingly from he onset of the game?

I mean I look at fighting games or MOBAS that have a diverse cast of characters with unique animations and armor and clothing sets and find statements like this hard to believe. Especially when it comes to fighting games and their limited budgets. How can a game tat rakes in money not have the capital to allow for variety? Are there top level executives giving themselves bonuses so fat that they can't distribute their gains to allow for a female model with a limited animation set and a few pieces of armor. I mean you don't need to make goddamn boob armor.

I'm in the Marine Corps and females use the same flak and kevlars as everyone else.

So what I'm getting at is... What are they talking about?

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Also the article that's linked is from wccftech and they are not the most reliable source for anything. It still boggles my mind that this forum allows articles from that website.

By the way I'm not saying the guy didn't say it. I'm saying that I'd feel better if there was another source.
It seems that the guy posting on reddit wasn't the one interviewed and it was someone else in the company hence saying he never said that.

It's still a pretty awful attitude.

So they went from "we never said that" to "that was just one minor team member's opinion" to "we reprimanded that guy" (as stated in one of the tweet replies above). Sounds like they definitely said it and are surprised people took issue with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I don't understand that tweet. Of course adding new animations, new character models and the amount of work in things like gear fitting for different body type can take a lot of time (= money). Recently the FFXIV dev team faced the same issue, are we supposed to punch them in the face too ?
Not speaking for someone else, but she elaborates in some more tweets.

If you have a non moronic workflow it's not that hard. Especially if it's a game under development and not being retrofitted after the fact. If you have the original assets, deforming to fit the female model is relatively easy

The FFXIV issue was with a boosted ass item and a decade of legacy gear. And it's fixed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So they went from "we never said that" to "that was just one minor team member's opinion" to "we reprimanded that guy" (as stated in one of the tweet replies above). Sounds like they definitely said it and are surprised people took issue with it.

Okay. I'm against wccftech being used as a reliable source. I'm not defending that asshole.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
"We came to the conclusion that women can't handle that amount of stress. There's only place for hardened men in this place"

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Well. I know it takes time to remodel armor, make new animations, and whatnot., but isn't this something that should have been budgeted for accordingly from he onset of the game?
I'm in the Marine Corps and females use the same flak and kevlars as everyone else.

I agree it was something they could have budgeted or worked out from the start, but I guess they didn't. They are being shitbags about it.

In regards to using the same models/clothers/props it isn't always as easy as that. Models need to be re-wrapped per-object, realigned, re-weighted, re-baked from one model to the next so it animates correctly. Shapes and body scale change from person to person so a lot of models need to be redone to scale/fit correctly, even on similar or same clothing/objects. You can get a similar/same model object and re-wrap it to a new model, but it needs to work correctly. There are a lot of things going on that most people who have never done modelling/CG don't understand about it.

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
I'm not for a second buying that the sexist comments were from one team member in a low position. The comments specifically say the decision was a group decision.