• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you get shot in the stomach and it gets blacked out, your water and energy will gradually tick down until you die of thrist/hunger.
You can mitigate this by bringing a CMS/Surgery kit with you so that you can repair blacked out body parts. I always keep mine in my safe container.
I understand how I get it, I just don't understand how it determines when you die.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I'll upgrade to EOD just for the stash space and gamma. Sure I can unlock this later but it's big to have upfront I feel. I've played the game long enough now to know that I like it.

When is the new years gift supposed to arrive? Sounds like we'll need to activate from our profile like the anniversary gift in November.

Game is broken at moment. Felt it was a smooth update until whatever went on this afternoon.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I understand how I get it, I just don't understand how it determines when you die.
Oh. It drains health from your head and once it gets down to 0 hp, you die. It just needs to be revamped in my mind.

I'll upgrade to EOD just for the stash space and gamma. Sure I can unlock this later but it's big to have upfront I feel. I've played the game long enough now to know that I like it.
Yeah, I think it's worth getting if you're investing a lot of time into the game.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, is anyone able to comment on how much the EoD upgrade cost is in USD with the current sale?

I'm thinking of jumping in and the only thing giving me pause is I have no idea if it would cost more to try the base game -> find out I like it -> upgrade to EoD before Jan 5th, than if I just bought the EoD out the gate.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is that one shit head who was all: "Women can't be soldiers" still working there?

I'm interested in the game but that kind of soured it for me for awhile.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, is anyone able to comment on how much the EoD upgrade cost is in USD with the current sale?

I'm thinking of jumping in and the only thing giving me pause is I have no idea if it would cost more to try the base game -> find out I like it -> upgrade to EoD before Jan 5th, than if I just bought the EoD out the gate.
If you end up liking it then the EoD upgrade is worth it. I'm playing with the standard edition and it sucks because I'm so limited to what I can store in my stash. Plus they give you a ton of gifts and gear.

Whether or not you like the game is based off what you like in games or shooters. Do you like slower, methodical shooting games? Do you like roguelike rules? Inventory management? Lots of different tools and gear to your disposal?

It's in depth, but even I find myself taking a break from it because getting kills and dying in this game can be the most inconsistent and luck driven thing I've ever seen in a shooter. There's a lot of questionable things that happen in this game because it's a beta/early access game.

Minus the jank, it plays and pretty well.

7cfc658b0f327a25210cbeba0340121f.png

929a82bb5ef576da7b0cf00732ae7957.png

Is that one shit head who was all: "Women can't be soldiers" still working there?

I'm interested in the game but that kind of soured it for me for awhile.

It doesn't seem like he is there anymore. Looks like he moved to another studio at Ubisoft after the article was posted -
Pavel Dyatlov - Gameplay Programmer - Ubisoft Blue Byte GmbH | LinkedIn

One of the heads at Battlestate actually said that what Pavel said was bullshit.

2020-01-06-13_54_46-Window.png

So yeah, there you go. I'm still waiting for black PMCs.. Might run it by them on Reddit with mockups.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem like he is there anymore. Looks like he moved to another studio at Ubisoft after the article was posted -
Pavel Dyatlov - Gameplay Programmer - Ubisoft Blue Byte GmbH | LinkedIn

One of the heads at Battlestate actually said that what Pavel said was bullshit.

2020-01-06-13_54_46-Window.png

So yeah, there you go. I'm still waiting for black PMCs.. Might run it by them on Reddit with mockups.

Hm... That does seem a bit better. How long does the sale go on for?

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Cool thing for people on the fence with what edition to buy. You can purchase the basic edition and upgrade later and only pay the difference. If you are unsure if this is your type of game, just get the basic or lower end editions and upgrade at a later date/sale if you enjoy it.

With that being said I just got EOD, the stash size and additional items are nice! I had a bunch of insurance items returned and it made it so much easier to store them. I have a fair amount of stuff stashed for when I hit 10 to sell on the flea market just taking up precious inventory space.

Everyone make sure to go into your online profile to send your new year's gift to you. You need to do this for it to appear in-game. Some nice items, especially all the BP ammo and ammo case to store it in. Also the docs case will help out with your inventory as well.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Cool thing for people on the fence with what edition to buy. You can purchase the basic edition and upgrade later and only pay the difference. If you are unsure if this is your type of game, just get the basic or lower end editions and upgrade at a later date/sale if you enjoy it.

With that being said I just got EOD, the stash size and additional items are nice! I had a bunch of insurance items returned and it made it so much easier to store them. I have a fair amount of stuff stashed for when I hit 10 to sell on the flea market just taking up precious inventory space.

Everyone make sure to go into your online profile to send your new year's gift to you. You need to do this for it to appear in-game. Some nice items, especially all the BP ammo and ammo case to store it in. Also the docs case will help out with your inventory as well.

Hm...

I'm wondering what is the "end-game"

Like in a BR, it's to win, obviously. Usually some form of progression even if it's just cosmetics. Once you get good guns in Tarkov and manage to escape, what incentive is there to risk it by going back in again?

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hm...

I'm wondering what is the "end-game"

Like in a BR, it's to win, obviously. Usually some form of progression even if it's just cosmetics. Once you get good guns in Tarkov and manage to escape, what incentive is there to risk it by going back in again?
The game is mainly about building your PMC (private soldier) and the hideout you have (place to recover, farm bitcoins, build guns, craft medicines) so that you can complete the quests with less of a struggle. While you're doing the quests, you have to manage your money and your reputation with other traders on the markets. You can also run flea-market sales and barter with other players for gear.

Considering the nature of the game, there's a limitless amount of turnouts when in a fight for a particular area. The maps are pretty much split into sections. If you spawn in a particular spot, there's usually a rush to the nearest high-tier loot spot which generally has rare items for completing quests or upgrading hideouts. Think of it like rushing to the power weapon in a shooter game like Halo. Instead, you're risking the gear that you have. If you die with your gear, you'll likely not get it back unless you have it insured and no one loots it.

There's not really an end-game. People say the end-game is when you get all of the secure cases "Kappa". That requires you to complete quests. After the quests and all, the game can be just an intense shooter for you. After playing a while money is easier to come by.

When my character was level 40 last wipe, I still had quests to play, but I usually played Tarkov with a small group just for a communicative squad based shooter.

Being the last man standing in a squad after a shootout, having two broken legs, a broken arm and my character can barely keep the gun up... then having to fight other scavengers and players to extract out, there's no other shooter like it.

Also, the game is on sale until January 5th. As Rental said, even if you get the standard edition, you can still get the EoD edition and just pay the difference between the two as an upgrade.

FWI for those interested in buying the game.. Some US banks have a difficult time parsing whether or not the vendor BSG uses is fraud or legit (it's legit, I've bought through them). It'll lead to the transaction being blocked. I suggest using a pre-paid card or just using Paypal, which I used..

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The game is mainly about building your PMC (private soldier) and the hideout you have (place to recover, farm bitcoins, build guns, craft medicines) so that you can complete the quests with less of a struggle. While you're doing the quests, you have to manage your money and your reputation with other traders on the markets. You can also run flea-market sales and barter with other players for gear.

Considering the nature of the game, there's a limitless amount of turnouts when in a fight for a particular area. The maps are pretty much split into sections. If you spawn in a particular spot, there's usually a rush to the nearest high-tier loot spot which generally has rare items for completing quests or upgrading hideouts. Think of it like rushing to the power weapon in a shooter game like Halo. Instead, you're risking the gear that you have. If you die with your gear, you'll likely not get it back unless you have it insured and no one loots it.

There's not really an end-game. People say the end-game is when you get all of the secure cases "Kappa". That requires you to complete quests. After the quests and all, the game can be just an intense shooter for you. After playing a while money is easier to come by.

When my character was level 40 last wipe, I still had quests to play, but I usually played Tarkov with a small group just for a communicative squad based shooter.

Being the last man standing in a squad after a shootout, having two broken legs, a broken arm and my character can barely keep the gun up... then having to fight other scavengers and players to extract out, there's no other shooter like it.

It does sound interesting... Can you survive solo?

And you said a wipe? Is there a progression wipe every so often?

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It does sound interesting... Can you survive solo?

And you said a wipe? Is there a progression wipe every so often?
Yeah, you can play and survive solo, but it's even more difficult and more stressful. I played last wipe solo for a long time before grouping with some other folks. It's always nice to have people watch your back and to secure your gear if you go down. The game plays a lot different. You can just be more aggressive in general.

There's progression wipes. They happen depending on developer progress. Sometimes they're used during bigger updates and to reset the game so that they can test the changes with players with new gear and no progress. For example, last wipe (the previous to the one that occurred two days ago) lasted for 8/7 months. I joined in the middle of the wipe and it was really difficult, especially as a new player.

You'll be able to get a solid amount of playthrough in during the duration, so I wouldn't worry about putting down the game for a month or two.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Decided to give this game a shot again (clocked in over 100 hours easily during my last stint)

Pros :

1. Game runs a lot smoother

2. My favorite map, Customs, apparently had a huge addition to it and it feels even better.

3. HOLY SHIT. The music is seriously god tier.

Cons :

1. Quest design is so fucking dumb still. How have they not reiterated on it at all? Unless...this is it? I was under the impression when I first started played that the quests were placeholders until they were finished. Turns out, no, that's just the way the quests are in this game. How the fuck do they expect a new player to know how to unlock Jaeger WITHOUT doing extensive out of game research? In fact, other then the first handful of quests, is there any way to progress in this game without the tools given to us by OTHER players?

2. It's still a coin toss whether or not I can play with friends. Takes 15 minutes just to see them in the map lobby and another 15 to realize our queue is bugged. Alt-f4 rinse and repeat. Fix the fucking game lol.

3. The amount of shit they've added to the game without giving the poor plebeians more stash space is genuinely infuriating. What a scummy fucking way to squeeze money out of people. This game can feel so polished some times and yet feel like a cash grab in others. Which leads to my next two points...

4. Why do they feel the need to have so many time vampire game systems in this game? From an objective point of view this game has a hefty amount of MMO elements yet it doesn't even charge a sub. It's so odd to me one of the many things about an MMO they are clearly trying to emulate, that TIME GATING QUESTS AND REPUTATION VENDORS make the list. Like..why? It would make sense to hook people in if there was idk fucking cosmetic mtx or shit like that but they've created this absolutely shitty unrewarding gameplay loop. And I don't want to hear about how the game is unrewarding by design. The shooting is unrewarding and risky, but the rep traders and stupid ass fucking quest designs should not be directly impeding the player's desire to progress.

5. What is this game trying to be? After all these years I keep asking myself and to this day I don't have an answer. There's no way to quickly condense what this game is to a new player. It's a hardcore shooter in one aspect but then it's a stash management system in another. Pick a fucking genre, Nikita. If you want this game to be an MMO then make use of the long ass load times and have hideouts be public player spaces or something. This game can be so fun yet so creatively bankrupt as far as vision goes.

Despite this game's best efforts I still have a good laugh accidentally shooting my friends sometimes. But I would not recommend anyone spend money on this.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Decided to give this game a shot again (clocked in over 100 hours easily during my last stint)
I agree with almost everything you say about this game. The only real reason I play this is because it has unique shooting mechanics and the game has tons of weapon mods.

The quests are half-baked, net-code can be questionable and a lot is left to luck, the stash shit is really bad. Buying EoD is pretty much pay to win.

The MMO elements is why people are asking for an arena gamemode (which I think they've teased) I often don't want to play Tarkov for the MMO elements and mainly as a shooter.

And you're right, it's really hard to describe this game to a new player.

Kalentan - I suggest you watch a few videos on Tarkov, if you haven't already. I'll link you to some. I wouldn't want you to get stuck with this game as it doesn't seem like refunding is a worthy avenue.

Pestily is the go-to for information on Tarkov.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I have no idea what the end goal of this game is. Especially how connecting all maps would even work with what you do now.

All I know is the intensity of the firefights and raids is on another level. I'm fine with that and the craziness of frustration and progression. Most deaths I feel is partially my fault and I need to learn to build upon it. Where this game ends up is unknown and i'm willing to go along with.

Jan 20, 2019
A tip for new players.

The easyste way to make money in tarkov is to pick your scav, go factory, kill other scav or loot death ones already and leave. You will spawn with 1/2 pmc max and you can avoid them if they are not extract camping or if you get the underground extract.

It takes 1 to 2 min and you make 100k to 300k, sometimes even half a milion. You can do this between your PMC runs.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
A tip for new players.

The easyste way to make money in tarkov is to pick your scav, go factory, kill other scav or loot death ones already and leave. You will spawn with 1/2 pmc max and you can avoid them if they are not extract camping or if you get the underground extract.

It takes 1 to 2 min and you make 100k to 300k, sometimes even half a milion. You can do this between your PMC runs.
Easier said than done lol. Factory is a bloodbath.

Jan 20, 2019
Easier said than done lol. Factory is a bloodbath.

It is only a bloodbath as pmc, as scav, by the time you load in to it there will be 1, maybe 2 pmc left. Dont just spawn and shot, as scav you will have protection since other scav dont shot you, you can use that to shield you way trough until extraction and if they get shot, you can run the other direction.

Takes time to get use to it and to learn the map to the fullest.

But, if you still not convince about it, you can just spawn interchange, go to the back of goshan and loot the electronics/tools, takes around 10min to do a scav round but you should make around 500k/1M, depending on the space you have on you.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It is only a bloodbath as pmc, as scav, by the time you load in to it there will be 1, maybe 2 pmc left. Dont just spawn and shot, as scav you will have protection since other scav dont shot you, you can use that to shield you way trough until extraction and if they get shot, you can run the other direction.

Takes time to get use to it and to learn the map to the fullest.

But, if you still not convince about it, you can just spawn interchange, go to the back of goshan and loot the electronics/tools, takes around 10min to do a scav round but you should make around 500k/1M, depending on the space you have on you.
The Reserve rats or Shoreline rats are fat while the factory rats are mostly dead.
Okay I gotta do these thanks.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I only got to play a couple of raids before this afternoon. I already feel really far behind everyone else.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
30% more fat ducats selling it through their site.

Using Steamworks would probably make the servers work though.
Their growth has to be relatively maxed out at this point. It already hit the mainstream of Twitch with great numbers. Steam shouldn't be more than a year off, max, if they're smart.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you are already feel far behind, cant say what you are going to expect in about 1 month.

Right now is the only moment you can actualy compete if you are a new player.
I just came across a level 22 playing Factory of all places lol. A little unbelievable, if you ask me.

It seems like people understand the formula a bit too much. They should change up the quests.

Jan 20, 2019
I just came across a level 22 playing Factory of all places lol. A little unbelievable, if you ask me.

It seems like people understand the formula a bit too much. They should change up the quests.

A normal player, whould go to costums and take 10 to 20 min and do a normal quest and get around 2 to 3k xp, a new player does the exact same thing but because it avoids conflits it gets around 1k exp.

A good player goes to labs and gets 10 to 15k xp in a 10min round + 1 milion $.

The game is incredible unbalance when it comes to the end game content, just need to keep finding raids whith players like yourself, it will happen dont worry to much about that.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Trying to keep up with sweaty, no-life players in Tarkov is not the most fun way to play, IMO. To begin with, the game is not designed to be "balanced" in any traditional sense. Being a higher level and having more money is an advantage for sure but a low level player rocking a cheap Vepr Hunter and some M80 rounds can take down almost any enemy loadout in relatively few shots. Also I feel that the game gets easier as we get further into a wipe because early quest locations and items become less contested.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Trying to keep up with sweaty, no-life players in Tarkov is not the most fun way to play, IMO. To begin with, the game is not designed to be "balanced" in any traditional sense. Being a higher level and having more money is an advantage for sure but a low level player rocking a cheap Vepr Hunter and some M80 rounds can take down almost any enemy loadout in relatively few shots. Also I feel that the game gets easier as we get further into a wipe because early quest locations and items become less contested.
You can pretty much kill anyone with a Kedr if you get a jump on them and pump em.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I bought Tarkov a while back but I'm still not that fond of the current "permadeath deathmatch with fetch quests and looting" gameplay. IIRC, the finished product will be more on the side of a survival game than match-based raids, right? It has boasted alot of exploration and free-roam features once it's done, but I still haven't actually seen anything on how this will all be implemented. Alof of Tarkov's systems look extremely fun, but the current "queue into raid, loot, do quests, extract" gameplay loop just isn't for me and feels more like we're in giant arenas than exploring open spaces.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I bought Tarkov a while back but I'm still not that fond of the current "permadeath deathmatch with fetch quests and looting" gameplay. IIRC, the finished product will be more on the side of a survival game than match-based raids, right? It has boasted alot of exploration and free-roam features once it's done, but I still haven't actually seen anything on how this will all be implemented. Alof of Tarkov's systems look extremely fun, but the current "queue into raid, loot, do quests, extract" gameplay loop just isn't for me and feels more like we're in giant arenas than exploring open spaces.
It's going to be.. a lot of things.

I don't think anyone has a clear idea how it'll end up, BSG seems happy just adding content and fixing stuff the foreseeable future.

Whenever they add placable mines, shit's going to be crazy.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be.. a lot of things.

I don't think anyone has a clear idea how it'll end up, BSG seems happy just adding content and fixing stuff the foreseeable future.
Ok yeah, the open world free-roam with other players down the line is what I bought into, glad to see it's at least still listed as an upcoming feature and there hasn't been any word of it being cancelled.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone get any drops via Twitch today? Come on, Cases, my inventor is in shambles!

Sure, but the hardcore high level people just level by being decent, getting kills and extracting. Then they grind the quests at some point.

Honestly, this is what intimidates me about playing with others. Whether the opponents have better or worse gear than me, I seem to die a lot often than not. Hell, I die to crappy scavs half the time. I'd actually really like to play with a group, but the fear of letting them down with their gear on the line is really intimidating for me more so than say Apex Legends or something. And dying like that makes the process of leveling up extremely slow, which then puts you further behind.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, this is what intimidates me about playing with others. Whether the opponents have better or worse gear than me, I seem to die a lot often than not. Hell, I die to crappy scavs half the time. I'd actually really like to play with a group, but the fear of letting them down with their gear on the line is really intimidating for me more so than say Apex Legends or something. And dying like that makes the process of leveling up extremely slow, which then puts you further behind.
A big thing is that you don't really get a lot of shooting practice early on, so just get some good equipment and play Factory offline with scavs to get a feel for the aiming and how many bullets is enough etc. It's quite a bit different from what you'd expect and just doing a few rounds with different guns will help you a lot.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone get any drops via Twitch today? Come on, Cases, my inventor is in shambles!

I've ran with a group that was really into the game. I was the new player while they had been playing the game for a few wipes; there were plenty times where we would run in with slicks and we'd get dropped or even killed by friendly fire. The thing is, running with groups is actually more relaxing than solo. It depends on the group you play with. Some rage quit, some just gear back up for another raid and forget about whatever happened before. People I've played with are usually relaxed about the game.

This is one of the few games I manage to play often. I have a lot of time on my hands as of now, so I'll be on consistently for the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
A big thing is that you don't really get a lot of shooting practice early on, so just get some good equipment and play Factory offline with scavs to get a feel for the aiming and how many bullets is enough etc. It's quite a bit different from what you'd expect and just doing a few rounds with different guns will help you a lot.

Yeah, getting used to all the guns is definitely difficult. I also really struggle with iron sights, so as much as possible, I've been trying to throw something on the weapons to help with that.

I've ran with a group that was really into the game. I was the new player while they had been playing the game for a few wipes; there were plenty times where we would run in with slicks and we'd get dropped or even killed by friendly fire. The thing is, running with groups is actually more relaxing than solo. It depends on the group you play with. Some rage quit, some just gear back up for another raid and forget about whatever happened before. People I've played with are usually relaxed about the game.

If you want, add me on Tarkov - username is seventeenzebra

This is one of the few games I manage to play often. I have a lot of time on my hands as of now, so I'll be on consistently for the next few weeks.

Friendly fire also seems terrifying, given that it seems to happen often enough to those who do know what they're doing in terms of group play.

I'll add you when I'm home, I'm SarcasticRobot on there. I tend to pop in and out for a few raids whenever I can.

Jan 20, 2019

The endgame goal is to connect all the maps, so that you go from one map to the other true connection.

But there is still a lot to do before that.