• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
the second part of the quote makes it seems that there will be online eventS plannet, not just a big singular one

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't find the relation between COVID19 and an online event. It's completely safe so what's the issue? It's not like the virus spread through wifi. Media outlets already working from home.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Is this Virtual Economy podcast any good? It seems like they've been breaking a lot of news lately - worth subscribing to and adding into my rotation?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I can't find the relation between COVID19 and an online event. It's completely safe so what's the issue? It's not like the virus spread through wifi. Media outlets already working from home.
The issue is that the ESA doesn't have their shit together. Complete mismanagement.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

What's the point of the ESA holding an online E3 when the various pubs can do it themselves already? It was a flawed plan from the start.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
E3, as an event represented and held by the ESA, likely has to be dead now, right? If the IGN collaboration works well enough publishers won't necessarily have to scurry back to the ESA next summer. I'm thinking that If anything publishers may put a greater emphasis on the other fan-focused conventions instead.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Why would a company play along with this? They could simply host their own online event instead if they wish to do so.
You have no benefit participating here and sharing your limelight.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When everything is online and publisher's will be making their own content that they can broadcast at a time of their own choosing, what did the ESA have to contribute?

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's thier mismanagement more than the virus then because big publishers already planning online events.

It's both. If the pandemic wasn't happening, there'd be no reason to cancel E3 to begin with, but things were slowly moving this way anyway. We'll see next year what the fallout of all this will be.

Kucan

Nov 4, 2017
Since there's no actual event, there's no need to release news at the same time or any need to do special events to draw attention. So why bother?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Even before the pandemic, E3 2020 was really taking hits.

Hope they can come back big next year!

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Why do publishers even need ESA to do a virtual event? Just cut the middle man already.
I could see smaller pubs wanting the extra attention being a part of a bigger event instead of putting their video out and it being ignored because most don't know to check them out.

Futterish

Half of F-Squared
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is this Virtual Economy podcast any good? It seems like they've been breaking a lot of news lately - worth subscribing to and adding into my rotation?

Hi! I'm entirely biased (because I'm one of the two hosts), so I'm not the best person to judge our quality impartially. Instead, I can give you our credentials...

I'm the former news editor at Game Informer. I've written a couple of books about the industry (The GameDev Business Handbook and The GameDev Budgeting Handbook). I've also freelanced for Polygon, Mashable, GameDaily, and had a monthly column for Variety Gaming before it was sent out to pasture.

My co-host, Amanda Farough, is a former editor at Mic and most recently was the editor-in-chief of GameDaily. Both of us are focused on making the business and legal issues around gaming accessible. Essentially, we try to take the news and complex topics and address them kind of like an explainer article (but through your earholes).

We hope you'll give us a listen! <3

Edit: One thing I didn't mention. We were about to launch this show in partnership with a major media outlet. Sadly, COVID-19 has caused serious revenue challenges for media and there wasn't funding to move ahead. So... Manda and I launched it on our own. We've been wanting to do this for a while and we weren't going to let the crisis stop us.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
E3, as an event represented and held by the ESA, likely has to be dead now, right? If the IGN collaboration works well enough publishers won't necessarily have to scurry back to the ESA next summer. I'm thinking that If anything publishers may put a greater emphasis on the other fan-focused conventions instead.
The thing is that E3 was still the convention that any games outlet worth their salt attended. It was the one videogame convention that attracted a global audience. The problem was that the ESA was trying to turn it into PAX, and was doing a really bad job of it. Ultimately, we shall see. I do think claims that E3 is dead is a dumb meme being repeated, but we'll have a better idea of it's health next year. This also applies to every other convention (let's be frank, Gamescom is also getting canned, as is the rest of year's PAXes and EGSes). I don't think E3 will sink alone. Either the idea of convention attendance will die out in its entirety, or we'll be back to business next year (pandemic pending).

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Hi! I'm entirely biased (because I'm one of the two hosts), so I'm not the best person to judge our quality impartially. Instead, I can give you our credentials...

I'm the former news editor at Game Informer. I've written a couple of books about the industry (The GameDev Business Handbook and The GameDev Budgeting Handbook). I've also freelanced for Polygon, Mashable, GameDaily, and had a monthly column for Variety Gaming before it was sent out to pasture.

My co-host, Amanda Farough, is a former editor at Mic and most recently was the editor-in-chief of GameDaily. Both of us are focused on making the business and legal issues around gaming accessible. Essentially, we try to take the news and complex topics and address them kind of like an explainer article (but through your earholes).

Haha, I've been following you on Twitter for years, and I saw it was your show! I guess since you reached out to me directly, I have no choice. Thanks, Mike!

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Because production requires a sizable team - and most places right now don't allow that kind of large gathering for a non-essential business/service.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I shouldn't be surprised at how badly they've bungled this whole thing, but still... wow.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Next sentence reads like they aren't giving up on the idea, just might not be in June or be much of an event really.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh well
i'm sure the events put on by the publishers + whatever IGN got cooking will be good enough.

Aug 10, 2019
That seems like an enormous missed opportunity, especially since a lot of companies had already begun planning on what they would have revealed at E3.

My guess is the ESA doesn't know how to profit on an online event and as such they don't feel the need to promote one....

violetzombie

Better Half of F-Squared
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Glad that Mike introduced us so I don't have to, haha. Thanks for the recognition and for engaging with our work. I'm proud of our little podcast and I'm excited for what we're going to be doing in the future.

Edit: One thing I didn't mention. We were about to launch this show in partnership with a major media outlet. Sadly, COVID-19 has caused serious revenue challenges for media and there wasn't funding to move ahead. So... Manda and I launched it on our own. We've been wanting to do this for a while and we weren't going to let the crisis stop us.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
200.gif