• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I know next to nothing about how to fix things. I live in an apartment and do the best I can to keep from needing the maintenance people.

Anyway, I'm also a school teacher. One of my students has worn a hole in the hard floors with the desk leg.

Is this something I can fix myself or do I need a professional? If it's something I can fix myself, how would I go about it?

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Are you teaching in your own apartment? ...

Get school maintenance staff to look at it...

No, I'm just drawing a comparison between my experience with fixing things and the fact that it is in a classroom, at my school.

I really don't want to alert the custodians to the problem because I don't want to get in trouble.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I know next to nothing about how to fix things. I live in an apartment and do the best I can to keep from needing the maintenance people.

Anyway, I'm also a school teacher. One of my students has worn a hole in the hard floors with the desk leg.

Is this something I can fix myself or do I need a professional? If it's something I can fix myself, how would I go about it?
I'd consult with the headmaster, as this might be school property or not even that but city owned and then just their repair service are allowed to fix it to ensure its done "right".

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
No, I'm just drawing a comparison between my experience with fixing things and the fact that it is in a classroom, at my school.

I really don't want to alert the custodians to the problem because I don't want to get in trouble.
Isn't...that what the custodians and maintenance people are there for

Why would you be in trouble? If a light burns out in your room are you in trouble?

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA

Generally speaking it's not your responsibility. However it is arguably your responsibility to report it so that your students have a safe learning environment.

They'd probably ask me why there isn't a tennis ball or cloth on the leg or something.

Okay where do you live...

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
They'd probably ask me why there isn't a tennis ball or cloth on the leg or something.
Its not your job to ensure that the tables legs are all wrapped to protect the floor.

If anyone its the maintenance guys job. Besides those things last maybe 1 year as best then get lose and lost making things worse.

Dont worry and report the damage for repair.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
If you are going to get in trouble for this, you need to change schools. I don't see how a principal could go off on someone for this. If this was such an issue, the principal should be mandating that every desk has a tennis ball or some other protective covering.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What does that have to do with anything?

I have my own classroom where I teach kids block coding and I would also put in a work order instead of doing if myself. Its not on you to fix it.

I should add nobody at the school would bat an eye at something like that, it would just get fixed. In fact I could be demanding but I'm not that type of person.

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Since everyone is pretty much telling me the same thing, can I ask another question.

What am I doing wrong that kids are able to do this to the floor? Are they leaning back in seat or scooting their desks around?

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Since everyone is pretty much telling me the same thing, can I ask another question.

What am I doing wrong that kids are able to do this to the floor? Are they leaning back in seat or scooting their desks around?

Are you worried this is going to reflect poorly on your classroom management skills? There are so many factors, how old the school is, did the student deliberately sharpen the desk? was that spot already weak? Difficult to say.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Hardwood floors and non-caster chairs for a classroom with 8-9 year olds? Is this some fancy private school?

Don't overthink it and just put in a maintenance request. I can guarantee this isn't the first incident.

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I just told my principal. She said to show her the damage, and that she's sure it can be addressed. Don't know what that means but I hope it means they can come repair it.

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I never said the floors were made out of wood. They're hard floors, like tile.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, quit worrying about the floor. If its wooden boards then it will happen easily. Its not the kids fault, nor yours. Concentrate on your actual job: Teaching.

I'd take the child aside and point out the damage and ask him in a stern talk how that could have happened. Explain that rocking chairs is not good for chairs, floor boards nor his own health (he could get hurt badly). Go on that it will be very expensive to repair and that it wouldnt be nice for his parents to have to pay for it when he does that purposefully.

Depending on what his reaction is, I'd talk to the principle and maybe let the child assist in repairing the damage he has caused. However, most likely he will be shocked and promise to be more careful so that wouldnt be necessary.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good thread. OP, I think your students are probably dripping acid on the floor to cause the holes. It's a new thing.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

Do they build tiles out of compacted dust in whatever area you teach in?

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I think what is happening is that the students keep scraping the floors by putting their knees on the desks, and this pressure has accumulated over time.

If it was my Principal what would happen is that she would scold the kid sitting in that seat and maybe even make the parents pay for the damage. That is why I also wonder what country or state you are from. I teach in Texas and for all the stuff we go through as educators a kid destroying school property would be 100% on them.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Antagonising other members.
Ok I'll say it because we're all thinking it....
Uhh, you're a teacher?

Agnostic

Mar 4, 2019
I'm assuming it is PVC tile and they can replace it.

I worked construction and flooring In another life and this is a 5 min. job if there isn't a problem underneath the surface.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why you are so concerned. I really don't. What are you doing wrong? Nothing. They're kids. It's flooring. It happens.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
It's like imagine if you took a hard tile floor and scraped away with it in one place until an indention about the size of a quarter and as deep as a stack of two quarters was there.
Dont think about it any further, its taken care of and done. Concentrate on teaching.

That children rock their chairs is normal... if i thought about every tiny tad of teaching profession as intensely as you i'd not only be suffering burn out but also not be capable to concentrate on the lessons.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Just because we are in the teaching profession does not mean we have to be scrutinized 24/7.
I just find it difficult to see why the floor damage is such an issue, and yeah I'm kind of worried about OP's anxieties.

I came ere expectin a silly repair question and instead i get...what we have here. Is the school crazy, are they going to punish someone for something so trivial? What the heck is going on in this world?

OP has stressed me out.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
OP this is nothing to stress over

Kids break shit, this happens, most schools are prepared for it

Hell my kids poured orange juice into the usb slot of the interactive whiteboards.

Don't stress it, especially not over what honestly sounds like wear and tear

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you stressing about what happens to a piece (single tile?) of flooring? If it's an issue then great youve told someone. It's not on you and you've now done all you needed to do.