• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
PS2 launch lineup was pretty underwhelming, compared to Dreamcast and OgXbox. Fantavision became a pre-internet meme.

IhEAyoT.png

The good stuff arrived many months after launch.
Right but it first year was the best of any console

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at

spiderman
Ratchet
Demon souls
Gt7
Horizon 2
Sackboy
Plus many more

All within the first year is miles ahead of ps4 .

All of these except for miles and demon souls are realistically going to be fall 2021 games or later. And I'd take no bets on demon and miles not running into covid issues down the stretch and having to get delayed into Q1 2021. I wouldn't exactly call that a great launch lineups. Second holiday season is going to be kick ass though.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
All of these except for miles and demon souls are realistically going to be fall 2021 games or later. And I'd take no bets on demon and miles running into covid issues down the stretch and having to get delayed into Q1 2021. I wouldn't exactly call that a great launch lineups. Second holiday season is going to be kick ass though.
Based on what information? Wasn't horizon confirmed spring 2021?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
To-date, the Playstation Vita has had the best launch lineup & launch window of any of Sony's systems. There was just about something for everyone at launch. Want a big-budget (for portable) action/adventure game? Here's an Uncharted spin-off. You want racing? There's Wipeout 2048. Want a new rhythm/puzzle game? Here's a new Lumines. Platformer? Here's Rayman Origins. Sports? Here's a new Hot Shots Golf.

And for launch window, highlights included Gravity Rush 4 months after launch and Persona 4 Golden a few months after that. There was a ton of quality games you could play on the Vita by the 1-year mark and yes, a lot of them were ports, but they were portable ports and it was plenty cool to be able to play stuff like the Xbox Ninja Gaiden in the palm of your hand.

So that's the bar that the PS5 needs to clear in order for it to be the best launch lineup.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
All of these except for miles and demon souls are realistically going to be fall 2021 games or later. And I'd take no bets on demon and miles not running into covid issues down the stretch and having to get delayed into Q1 2021. I wouldn't exactly call that a great launch lineups. Second holiday season is going to be kick ass though.
no this is false lol. where are you even getting this? fall 2021? almost all those games were showing a lot gameplay in the first showcase, and sony clearly has been planning this lineup since at least 2018.
Based on what information? Wasn't horizon confirmed spring 2021?
they just said 2021 its more than likely a holiday game imo to sell around christmas time. the rest of those games are def look to be all coming within the first year of the system.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Based on development time they should definitely all hit before the end of 2021. Apparently thats not even their entire line up.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Lol ps2 did not release in 2001.

US launch line up

• Armored Core 2 (Agetec, Action)
  • DOA2: Hardcore (Tecmo, Fighting)
  • Dynasty Warriors 2 (Koei, Action)
  • ESPN International Track and Field (Konami, Sports)
  • ESPN X-Games Snowboarding (Konami, Sports)
  • Eternal Ring (Agetec, RPG)
  • Evergrace (Agetec, RPG)
  • FantaVision (SCEI, Puzzle)
  • Gun Griffon Blaze (Working Designs, Action)
  • Kessen (EA, Adventure)
  • Madden NFL 2001 (EA, Sports)
  • Midnight Club (Rockstar, Racing)
  • Moto GP (Namco, Racing)
  • NHL 2001 (EA, Sports)
  • Orphen (Activision, RPG)
  • Q-Ball Billiards Master (Take-Two Interactive, Simulation)
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 (Midway, Sports)
  • Ridge Racer V (Namco, Racing)
  • Silent Scope (Konami, Shooter)
  • Smuggler's Run (Rockstar, Racing-Adventure)
  • SSX (EA, Sports)
  • Street Fighter EX3 (Capcom, Fighting)
  • Summoner (THQ, RPG)
  • Swing Away (Paradise Golf in Japan) (EA, Sports)
  • Tekken Tag Tournament (Namco, fighting)
  • TimeSplitters (Eidos, First-Person Shooter)
  • Unreal Tournament (Infogrames, First-Person Shooter)
  • Wild Wild Racing (Interplay, Racing)
  • X-Squad (EA, Action)

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone keeps posting that PS2 image like it was the system's launch / launch window lineup, when all of those games came out at least a year later.

Here's what we know so far for PS5's first few months:

Exclusives

Launch

• Astro's Playroom
Holiday 2020
  • Bugsnax
  • Godfall
  • JETT: The Far Shore
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • The Pathless
  • Worms Rumble
(May include Demon's Souls, whose recent ratings in Korea and Japan seem to imply a launch window release.)

Non-Exclusives

Holiday 2020

• Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  • Control Ultimate Edition
  • DARQ: Complete Edition
  • Destiny 2
  • DIRT 5
  • Fortnite
  • Haven
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Observer: System Redux
  • Outriders
  • Overcooked! All You Can Eat
  • Planet Coaster: Console Edition
  • Watch Dogs: Legion
January 2021
  • Hitman III
February 2021
  • Far Cry 6
  • Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood
There are probably more titles I'm missing. Either way, sounds like a pretty great first few months to me.

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
SMH it wasn't enough to copy the GamePass slogan, now Sony's snatching words right outta Phil's mouth?

It's a joke, folks, before I get jumped on.

While there's no way it can beat the majesty of the PS2's (North American) launch window, it certainly seems to be a damn sight better than the PS3's woeful launch. I distinctly remember one of my favorite PS3 launch games was the movie Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, because there was fuck-all worth playing on it. Genji? Nah. Resistance 1? A poor impersonation of much better games. Folklore? Who?

SpiderHyphenMan at launch is automatically better than the PS3's launch. I just hope that there are a good amount of third party games that actually make it this fall, but with COVID-19, I'd understand if they slipped into next year.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. Too often do we hear PR fluff like this (cough *Phil Spencer* cough) that never materialises, I don't really know why this could be any different.

PS2 launched in March 2000 in Japan and October 2000 in the US.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
This could be true. This could be false. What a PR person says is about as substantial as the words you thought you heard in the wind's rustle.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I remember in PSN infancy him being the guy to showcase PS3 software features. Was pretty awesome when he showed in game xmb and music lol.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. Too often do we hear PR fluff like this (cough *Phil Spencer* cough) that never materialises, I don't really know why this could be any different.

I think it's different because we've had amazing ps4 games this year we are getting miles Morales, weve just had the demons souls rating from Korea and with SIE this is always 2-3 months before launch. All of the games we saw running way back when the ps5 was revealed were all running on PS5 Hardware and all looked quite far through the development stages.

Sony havent shown many new games in the past few years so we know they have studios ready to back this up and we have heard so much chatter about 3rd party exclusives...

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017

Because again other sources have pointed to Sony having a great first year. If this was just Sony coming out and saying this, I'd be more sceptical.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
no this is false lol. where are you even getting this? fall 2021? almost all those games were showing a lot gameplay in the first showcase, and sony clearly has been planning this lineup since at least 2018.

they just said 2021 its more than likely a holiday game imo to sell around christmas time. the rest of those games are def look to be all coming within the first year of the system.
ah good call just went back and watched the video again. But yeah, i could have sworn everyone was saying that the games they showed off in the playstation meeting were all planned to release within the first year or so of the console launch.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
He's definitely better at hyping his brand than Greenberg, I'll say that. It's got my mind eager for more info.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Everyone keeps posting that PS2 image like it was the system's launch / launch window lineup, when all of those games came out at least a year later.

Here's what we know so far for PS5's first few months:

Exclusives

Launch

• Astro's Playroom
Holiday 2020
  • Bugsnax
  • Godfall
  • JETT: The Far Shore
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • The Pathless
(May include Demon's Souls, whose recent ratings in Korea and Japan seem to imply a launch window release.)

Non-Exclusives

Holiday 2020

• Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  • Destiny 2
  • Observer: System Redux
  • Outriders
  • Overcooked! All You Can Eat
  • Planet Coaster: Console Edition
  • Watch Dogs: Legion
January 2021
  • Hitman III
February 2021
  • Far Cry 6
There are probably more titles I'm missing. Either way, sounds like a pretty great first few months to me.

If Miles isn't an actual launch title it'll be literally the worst in PlayStation history. There's no way it misses launch day.

They'll have at least one big launch title.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Bro, I know you're doing your job but we just need the details. Lineup, date, and price would be a good start.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited but we really need to see them know. What we know looks pretty solid but "best line-up" is a pretty tall order. More information please!

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
ah good call just went back and watched the video again. But yeah, i could have sworn everyone was saying that the games they showed off in the playstation meeting were all planned to release within the first year or so of the console launch.
yeah almost everything at least what we understand is first year.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, half of them won't be there until the end of the next year or worse.
Ratchet & Clank
- They showed gameplay in June.
- Insomniac is one of the most efficient studios in the industry.

Demon's Souls
- Bluepoint started work on this in early 2018.
- By the end of this year, it would be the longest they spent on a project since GoW Collection in 2009.
- It's a remake, so even if it's the most ambitious one they've done, they have the blueprint for the game.

Gran Turismo 7
- Gran Turismo Sport shipped in October 2017.
- By the end of this year, GT7 would be 3+ years in production.
- Polyphony is good with development times, the only exception is GT5 which took 6 years.

Horizon 2
- Horizon Zero Dawn shipped in Feb 2017.
- Guerrilla moved to a new office in 2018, to expand their team to 400, a goal to ship games in 2-3 years.
- By Feb 2021, it would be 4 years in production, for a sequel is unlikely to take much longer.

Sackboy
- This has been in production as a LBP game for years according to Richard from Digital Foundry.
- He said that he would have expected it to be finished by now and maybe they're waiting for a good time to release it.

Last edited:

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Let's see the dates and the games they haven't announced yet.
But first party wise, first year (not launch), he's already right. Sony never had things like Spiderman, Demon's Souls, Gran Turismo,Horizon and Ratchet&Clank as the first year lineup.
PS4 was simply terrible until year 2 and PS3 not much better.