• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Well I'm glad that at least some kind of solution is in the works. Wars are terrible.
This isn't a solution, it's Turkey and US demanding that the YPG surrender. This shit is gonna be rejected and 120 hours from now Turkey will continue its invasion but this time with verbal US support.
It also just shows how extremely easy it is to push the Trump administration around which is just awful.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope foreign leaders start going over Trump's head right to Pence.

It would make Trump so angry.

I think it might be part of some sort of clandestine agreement. Like... a soft transition of power. Regardless, if Trump is still around following the November elections this year, then I'll probably just dismiss any chance of him looking for an exit before the election. However, that's a crucial period to keep an eye on. Might explain some of these bizarre actions all blatantly in his benefactor's benefit. Like he's paying a debt or something before it's too late. Also this is pure conspiracy but maybe this is why they would announce G7 location now so he can appropriate money for renovations now before it's too late. Regardless, Pence has been stepping up a lot this month, in particular, he is doing a lot of foreign policy appearances while Trump cancels them more and more. Might just be a coincidence, though, as I am not well informed on how these things work.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a solution, it's Turkey and US demanding that the YPG surrender. This shit is gonna be rejected and 120 hours from now Turkey will continue its invasion but this time with verbal US support.
It also just shows how extremely easy it is to push the Trump administration around which is just awful.
I don't think any kind of deal would have been made without the YPG agreeing to the terms.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018

You won't have to wait 120 hours it's going to be clear by tonight that literally nothing has changed and the conflict remains ongoing.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Then whats the news about? Erdogan and Trump making a private deal without the YPG knowing about it?

To make the YPG look bad for not accepting the ceasefire and giving their weapons. To make them and Assad look like the ones wanting to continue this. It was basically nothing as the US and Turkey were deciding on the territory of a third country, Syria.

artemis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But US always allowed Turkey to have a safe zone, it was Turkey that wanted a bigger one.

Last edited:

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
To make the YPG look bad for not accepting the ceasefire and giving their weapons. To make them and Assad look like the ones wanting to continue this. It was basically nothing as the US and Turkey were deciding on the territory of a third country, Syria.
YPG is not Syria either. Stop with the double standards. It's a complex situation. I have yet to underatand what the deal exactly is here and if the YPG actually will comply or not. My intuition says that Trump wouldn't make a deal with Erdogan without YPG knowing about it.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
YPG is not Syria either. Stop with the double standards. It's a complex situation. I have yet to underatand what the deal exactly is here and if the YPG actually will comply or not. My intuition says that Trump wouldn't make a deal with Erdogan without YPG knowing about it.

They are allied with Syria now, so Assad would have to agree to that now or the YPG would be betraying them.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Assad would have any problem with them disarming a piece of land that he lost control of. Assad is not pro YPG but they negotiated a deal because of common interests.

Assad made the deal with the YPG because he does not want to lose land. He managed to get the Kurds under control again. Besides, I really doubt the YPG would be willing to give up their best weapons now that they have to fight ISIS again ( and the enemies of Assad ).

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Assad would have any problem with them disarming a piece of land that he lost control of. Assad is not pro YPG but they negotiated a deal because of common interests.
Turkey controls about 70km of the 350km border they're supposed to get with that deal.

There is no way Assad agrees to giving up the other 280km.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Trump simply has to be owned. It's not even a question. Even being the braindead, jellyfish of a man he is doesn't sufficiently explain his total surrender. He's been consistent all the way down the line and for his entire Presidency in being a puppet.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
The YPG is to be incorporated into the SAA and Kurdish leaders incorporated into Syrian govt alongside Kurdish rights being put into the Syrian constitution.

That is their deal, attack on the YPG is an attack on the Syrian military. A military that is backed by Russia, Iran, China, among others.

The US just gave support to an ethnic cleansing and annexation of another country.

This could very well get a lot worse quick

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The YPG is to be incorporated into the SAA and Kurdish leaders incorporated into Syrian govt alongside Kurdish rights being put into the Syrian constitution.

That is their deal, attack on the YPG is an attack on the Syrian military. A military that is backed by Russia, Iran, China, among others.

The US just gave support to an ethnic cleansing and annexation of another country.

This could very well get a lot worse quick
It's still to be seen where Russia stands on all of this, they've been awfully quiet and it's not like they've given Erdogan the go-ahead to invade and occupy pieces of Syria before. Even right now the SAA can't take Idlib simply because Putin forced a cease fire down their throats to please Erdogan.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
22 Miles x 500. There's no way Syria or Kurds agree to that.

Seems like it's about time Russian forces start moving in.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
It's still to be seen where Russia stands on all of this, they've been awfully quiet and it's not like they've given Erdogan the go-ahead to invade and occupy pieces of Syria before. Even right now the SAA can't take Idlib simply because Putin forced a cease fire down their throats to please Erdogan.

Arent Russian forces alongside the SAA and YPG in Manbij right now? I dont see Russia backing off of Syria despite it being landlocked.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
So am I crazy, or is this Trump/Pence supporting Turkey's goal of pushing Kurds out of Northern Syria? Does this qualify as genocide?

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I'll bet anything that meeting went something like this:

Pence met with Erdogan. Pence said things are bad and asked that they stop - pretty please. Erdogan then told him to fuck off. Pence said, yes daddy ok you'll get your land and your genocide if you promise to not do the dirty with our nukes. He then returned home and to avoid international humiliation, they're framing this as a 'deal' and a 'victory'.

Right?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

The ONLY purpose this "deal" serves is so that the US can immediately frame the Kurds as the aggressors when body counts continue to rise. This way they can get the Fox News spin machine going, have the AmeriKKKan public swallow this shit, and make the defense contractors happy by selling weapons to Turkey for the sole purpose of slaughtering the Kurds.

So am I crazy, or is this Trump/Pence supporting Turkey's goal of pushing Kurds out of Northern Syria? Does this qualify as genocide?

That is exactly what it is. The only purpose this serves is to sell to the public the idea that the Kurds are terrorists as they continue to defend themselves.

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area
What a deal. There was a squatter thread on here yesterday. This is a lot like that, except turkey are the squatters and US want to give the residents a timeline to move out for the squatters. Haha.