• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

banner-plant-trees.jpg

CURRENT NUMBER OF TREES PLANTED BY ERA : 41 144
(last updated 2021-12-17 16:00 UTC-4)

Thread history :

This thread first started as a show of support for the global climate strike. After the first goal of 1000 trees was reached in a few hours, we updated to a new goal of 10 000 trees. This has been reached as well in just a matter of days. After consideration I decided to keep this thread alive so people could keep donating, and a new goal of 25K was reached later in 2019.

Another goal of 50 000 TREES for Christmas 2019 was set but failed.

People are still donating from time to time, even if we lost some momentum. Climate change being such a important issue, and my love of trees immense, I will still keep this thread alive and updating the total from time to time.

I still encourage everyone to donate or just post some cool videos about trees / forests.

Finally I would like to thank everyone who made a donation and also the mods for helping it get attention with the community goal sticky.

****************************************************************************************​
How does it work?
  1. Create an account on https://www.trilliontreecampaign.org
  2. Log In to the site with your account
  3. In the left panel, go to "Donate Trees"
  4. Choose your project (you can see details like where the trees will be planted, survival rate and price, they all vary...)
  5. Donate.
  6. Post your donation receipt in this thread!
Can I use another organization to donate?
YES! Just make sure it is legit, and show a proof of purchase (like receipt or email) in a post.

Can I plant trees myself locally? Do they count?
Of course! We trust you to be honest and won't ask for any evidence... But a cute little picture of your new tree(s) would be a nice addition to this thread!

A tree can absorb as much as 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year and can sequester 1 ton of carbon dioxide by the time it reaches 40 years old. You can check a complete list of benefits here : https://projects.ncsu.edu/project/treesofstrength/benefits.htm

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, we're "giving" 5 trees as a wedding gift this weekend.
We used "treedom.net" - they kinda let you 'adopt' a cocoa or banana or whatever tree in all kinds of African countries - which supports local farmers. They're like 15 bucks and up per tree, though.

... so, does that count? :P

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Hmmm, we're "giving" 5 trees as a wedding gift this weekend.
We used "treedom.net" - they kinda let you 'adopt' a cocoa or banana or whatever tree in all kinds of African countries - which supports local farmers. They're like 15 bucks and up per tree, though.

... so, does that count? :P

It does.

Oct 26, 2017
I will contribute by planting a few trees myself next time I'm home at my parents. I'll take my nephews so they can plant their first tree.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Donated 750 trees to the Friends of Usambara society about a month ago.

Capture.png

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I whole heartedly recommend that people also go out and plant trees where you live. You can do it right now and for FREE. Look up how to propogate, grab a spade, and go.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
I have a schedule to plant two fruit trees and a cedar a month from now. When my youngest is fully off diapers his reward is to buy a plant... And he is excited. Love trees.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure which campaign to donate to, any recommendations?

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
A few questions.

Are these charities legit? Do any of them send you photos of the trees they planted on your behalf?

The last one would be mainly for my sister. Would be cool to have her donate and see it happening.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
HrjycOY.png

I donated to Eden as well. I'll look into the other donation options soon and see if I can add more!

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Thanks for sharing this, OP. I signed up for an account. I'm gonna read up a little and will post again when I donate.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
A few questions.

Are these charities legit? Do any of them send you photos of the trees they planted on your behalf?

The last one would be mainly for my sister. Would be cool to have her donate and see it happening.
They have a map, so the way I would read that is that they will be geo-located once planted? It's an UN project so it seems legit to me.

bTTZ76I.png

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason it isn't letting me attach my photo.

I donated 100 trees to the Eden Reforestation Project

Awesome idea for a thread!

HceZnhe.png

Nevermind, figured it out!

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Uh, I just planted 3000, so: objective acheived.

It only cost $300!

I also asked for donations on Facebook which does have the Eden Reforestation Project as a possible "Donate" button.

Feel free to post there and steal my text:

----

It costs $0.10 per tree if you donate to the Eden Reforestation Project on trilliontreecampaign.org.

So, I asked that they plant 3,000. It only cost me $300.

A single tree can capture 5, 10, 20, 30 or more pounds of CO2 and take it out of the atmosphere, so that's somewhere between 7.5 and 45 TONS of CO2 per year, that just this one $300 donation will result in. Every year.

It's more fun to do it directly on trilliontreecampaign.org so you can see the status, but I'm adding a donate button here too, just to make it easy.

Even if it's 10 bucks, that is 100 trees, which is 0.5-1.5 TONS of CO2 every year.

Feel free to share this, I'm making it public

----

Or just reshare my post: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156272869611087&id=709121086

Will update thread when I see what the impact of the donate button is

Last edited:

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
A few questions.

From their FAQ

How do you check that the trees have really been planted?

If you registers a high number of planted trees we ask you additional information to make sure the registered trees have been planted. You can provide us with images, videos or news articles via email to support us in verification.

Using the geo-location of tree planting location, everyone can check if the registered trees are really there. More features regarding maps and satellite imagery will be available when we are out of beta.

Trillion Tree Campaign is based on user trust and we believe it is user's responsibility to only register trees that have been planted by them.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
We are at 4266 if I didn't forget anyone!

NEW GOAL 10000!!!

A few questions.

This group is behind the Trillion Tree Campaign. You can get more info here : https://www.plant-for-the-planet.org/en/home

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Uh, I just planted 3000, so: objective acheived.

It only cost $300!

I also asked for donations on Facebook which does have the Eden Reforestation Project as a possible "Donate" button.

Feel free to post there and steal my text:

----

It costs $0.10 per tree if you donate to the Eden Reforestation Project on trilliontreecampaign.org.

So, I asked that they plant 3,000. It only cost me $300.

A single tree can capture 5, 10, 20, 30 or more pounds of CO2 and take it out of the atmosphere, so that's somewhere between 7.5 and 45 TONS of CO2 per year, that just this one $300 donation will result in. Every year.

It's more fun to do it directly on trilliontreecampaign.org so you can see the status, but I'm adding a donate button here too, just to make it easy.

Even if it's 10 bucks, that is 100 trees, which is 0.5-1.5 TONS of CO2 every year.

Feel free to share this, I'm making it public

----

Or just reshare my post: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156272869611087&id=709121086

Will update thread when I see what the impact of the donate button is
Great idea.
Fuck it, I just donated another 850 to bring me to an even 1k. and will now spam my family whats-app groups to encourage them to do it to.
50AlzyT.png

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome campaign. I planted 30 trees a few days ago with a local group at work. I'll be donating some trees here. I am also using Ecosia at work to help with more trees.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
They have a map, so the way I would read that is that they will be geo-located once planted? It's an UN project so it seems legit to me.
From their FAQ

How do you check that the trees have really been planted?
This group is behind the Trillion Tree Campaign. You can get more info here : https://www.plant-for-the-planet.org/en/home

If you have concerns you can check out the org in Charity Navigator.

Thank you all! I will try to donate on Sunday.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks everyone!

We are at 6166 Trees!

Just a suggestion - maybe update the OP to get rid of the image, which a bit confusing, move the current tally to the very top, and request a thread title update to state the current progress and goal :) Marketability!

edit: 👍

Last edited:

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any recommended groups to donate to on here?

it is a bit of the problem with the site - almost would be better to have a central donation process and then the site doles out money based on productivity and survival rate. But people choosing a project does potentially make it more personal.

OP
OP
Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Could an admin update my thread title with the new 10 000 trees objective? Thanks

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
We planted about four thousand trees with my wife and her family this May. My part of that was about a thousand.

It was pretty cool. Hard work but also very relaxing in its own way.

I'll look into these charities later.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
We planted about four thousand trees with my wife and her family this May. My part of that was about a thousand.

It was pretty cool. Hard work but also very relaxing in its own way.

I'll look into these charities later.

Holy shit, nice work

EDIT: AstralTurfWarrior the site actually has a tracker that you can input both trees you've personally planted as well as ones you've donated to organizations. You should make sure you put them in there, as it adds to the global total.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Just did 150 trees with Forest Nation. I'll try do this every month.

I'll also be disappointed if this thread doesn't get significantly more attention. Or is Era just all talk and no action?

OIacKAn.png

Last edited: