• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Been thinking about buying a new RGB Mechanical Keyboard. I was about to purchase the CORSAIR K95 RGB PLATINUM Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, but then I saw that this keyboard was releasing next month:

SteelSeries Apex Pro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

And so, it has left me with a hard decision since since I have been with Razer for 8+ years and I am not a fan of their application (time to move on). What is ERA's thoughts on the Mechanical keyboard gaming? Should I go with the Corsair K95 or jump on the SteelSeries Keyboard?

Last edited:

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I have a GMMK with caps and switches i bought from drop/massdrop.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
K95 at work and a K70 at home. I love these things.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
What exactly is the point of RGB keyboards? Do they have some feedback function or are they just like lightstrip case mods?

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
I have the Logitech G pro. I came from a Razer Blackwidow so the custom switches, which are quieter and more squishy took some getting use too.

Its also ten keyless, which i like.

(and it goes with my G PRO Mouse and Powerplay mouse pad.)

pro-keyboard-hero-feature-1-desktop-1.png.imgw.1888.1888.png

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have a Logitech G513, no complaints here except the keys are a bit smaller than I'm used to. The armrest is comfy as hell though.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a K95 recently and I absolutely adore it. Best keyboard I've ever had.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is the point of RGB keyboards? Do they have some feedback function or are they just like lightstrip case mods?

People seem to really like all the lights. I had to go out of my way when I replaced my keyboard last because very few companies offer simple mechanical keyboards anymore.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I was close to purchasing the original K70 (non-RGB) right before the first RGB version was announced but got scared away by the amount of people suffering from dead LEDs. Decided to wait it out because it was said that the manufacturing of the RGB switches was less prone to the LED issue but my K70 RGB have had a dead one for a year now. Even my Corsair CPU cooler LEDs have died so I don't know what they're doing over at Corsair.

With that said, it is a very durable keyboard, especially for being marketed as a gaming keyboard. There has been some revisions of their K series since the first one launched so I would definitely recommend it. The only downside is Corsair don't use a standard bottom row of keys if you ever want to swap out the keycaps for something like the PBT milk pudding caps.

Corsair's software (iCUE) is the most customizable of all the different keyboard manufacturers afaik, so your imagination will be your limit for what you want to do with the lighting. I have CM and ASUS keyboards as well and found their software to be very limiting and less stable than Corsair's.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They look cool. I dunno.

I have software for my K70 that basically treats the RGB as an audio visualizer for my computer's audio, so it moves to the music I'm listening to.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I have a Coolermaster MK750 keyboard that I really like, although I'm sure there are cheaper keyboards that are good too.

I like whatever setting it is to have the key (and surrounding keys) briefly flash a colour before fading back to preset. The other colour options seem to be even more of a novelty than anything.

Deleted member 4208

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Corsair K70 and a Logitech G513. The Cherry MX Brown switches are better for typing but the tactile Romer g switches on the G513 are good too. The RGB lighting on the G513 is brilliant and doesn't leak between keys making the lighting on the K70 dull by comparison.

That said I can't recommend any Logitech RGB keyboard now. Lately my keyboard and many others' have had issues with blue LEDs going dim so any color assignment that needs the blue light will be discolored. This seems to run throughout the G line including the Pro and G512. I'm in the middle of an RMA with my G513 but others have said their replacement boards developed the same issues. It's a shame because when it works it's beautiful.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It really depends on what switches you prefer. For me Kaihl low profile blue switches are the best by far so the Havik or Sharkoon low profile keyboards are the best by far for me, wouldn't use anything else.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Ducky One 2 in white with brown switches. Not RGB because the rainbow thing just doesn't go with my setup, but I've heard the Ducky Shine 7 is likewise good.

Kamisori

Oct 26, 2017
France
People seem to really like all the lights. I had to go out of my way when I replaced my keyboard last because very few companies offer simple mechanical keyboards anymore.
Personally i have two uses for the RGB: being able to see which i stroke in the dark (i need it sometimes) and to know on which profile i am (between windows/gaming/dev).

Oct 26, 2017
I own the Massdrop CTRL, ALT, the Vortek Race 3, a Keycool, and a Durgod Taurus, and I have to say that for just gaming, the Durgod Taurus is probably the best bet. It's 100 bucks, a little more if you really need the RGB.

Ziocyte

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I stay away from the big extreme "gamer" keyboards with their bloated software and gaudy aesthetics. There is a whole world of custom and designer mechanical keyboards that awaits. Ducky has on board macro and LED programming (no client software required, you just issue commands on the keyboard to create custom macros / keybinds / color profiles at the hardware level).

If you want to go deeper down the rabbit hole crafting your own custom mechanic keyboard is all the rage. You order the case, the PCB, the switches and the caps and start soldering. This guy does full custom builds on stream as a reference.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Can I hijack your thread to ask you which mech key switches are the ones that closely resemble rubberized membranes on cheaper boards?

I don't like the hard click for gaming and Im looking to switch to a low profile mech keyboard if I can find one without the clicky switches that require that tiny bit more pressure to get them to register.

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Massdrop TKL keyboard seems like a dream and all I hear is praise when speaking about the Corsair K95 Keyboard. Such a hard decision. Leaning towards the K95 Platinum Cherry MX Speeds.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Still swear by razer's blackwidow chroma. Has worked great for many years, mechanical, great N-key rollover, awesome light effects, integration with games and 3rd party software/plugins, programmable macros, everything I need.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I like my Vortex Pok3r with Blue Cherry switches. Was going to post a photo but my desk is covered in dog hair lmao.

Waiting on my Glorious GMMK with Kailh Red Switches though.

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Can I hijack your thread to ask you which mech key switches are the ones that closely resemble rubberized membranes on cheaper boards?

I don't like the hard click for gaming and Im looking to switch to a low profile mech keyboard if I can find one without the clicky switches that require that tiny bit more pressure to get them to register.

Yep, go for it.

Euman

Oct 25, 2017
I have a g.skill km570 with brown switches and it's pretty great. Nice, heavy build quality, each key is addressable, and i get to annoy my neighbors with bright lights AND loud satisfying clickity clacks.

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
So those with the Corsair K95, is the armrest comfortable? I know Logitech keyboard armrest are very comfortable, and I LOVE my Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 armrest. Should I buy a separate arm rest?

(after looking at the Corsair 95k and noticed that there is a USB pass-thru but no headset pass-through like my Razer BlackWidow...I am kinda sad about that.)

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ducky or Vortex if quality matters.

I'm currently using a limited edition Vortex Pok3r RGB with MX Silver (aka Speed) switches and I love it. But that's a 60% board which is not for everyone. I've also had a Ducky Mini, Ducky Shine 5 and Ducky One RGB which were all fantastic.

Always go with RGB because it allows you to pick any color you want, and not just rainbow nonsense. You can set the backlight to a dim white color if you like. Or just turn it off. There's no downside to having it.

Mainstream brands are totally okay nowadays, but the build quality isn't on par with the enthusiast boards. As for gaming switches, I'd go with brown or red. Silver is good but prolly too light for some people.

Here's mine:

dt2m0uwUb-wO4lg0162xM21O8978-evmy4wwpYuNaVvwyDk8gAauj5kgSffa6TQenikc-KQPu_Awv6SGZ1IAV9SA94OZIW9VOA72pKNvJ59ha42828WJJFoF9DD4hObVqDQi16I1qbxb-dq9Fb_tRIX-jd2zwvbmLvWlvas6EbuJjtQXabuneDlsOVd0xWuruYk164ijfeU5C4JQruiWEPVf6a0-gIPRyhF9V3Rku4-2RBGL_dM2zFIKkVGrlgIN3uFiQo_Z8RgV2ahPPMthJU74qqwaHj_J3qnQjdaevlz6mDDWqmSlgg7bDMgEDydFAipqOI86MMRo4yMngLJdMXOKZmLq5nbkwD4xetsncE3gzNPyZ_LVUMkHng5pYzSS2Vkl-VkZUEfQt60AqFCx_HzGWhSe-AdZGPXrTSUwAwuSOM40hmF9ebtjI4LKeUzKk7cNyOKa-ziB7ysooUS_elWEoHern4Z36IyVlwXxaPsxE0csbXi-up_yYa5iundK6PpYvwdQrNhLVGOhNG18-4rix_y_LT09n8DQehOwv3woK5ozeSr2tovbI_ZxEl4mTcuFXNBgLlFBd-x8ZiSyttrm7WGQdalhwc2K_k9A_I6wEDp-KQPsZN3M0IzWTnDEsmupD_HGFxYBvcsbWOIrcxtPtfWIBwyw=w2044-h1532-no

2WwIaW8nxtp5QnvPlL3f7XfcaA7D5gA_l3P3Vaj3nBo1SiAw89ufSKtgYUKOj2Dfu2sDkaN2XVDsbL7NcmXvrG2T2Cf_bd-ZxhJWJqc8s6nLB2RGu1b-gtms0MePfP8zSAbCodhJPCyGxdavoNo1YopARMe2YjmPLWCPqBw18BYVPbyxB5JXf6CxaUQEJ0jkQ3wp81TlU50tYFfmhZBy6PPqqCP9Kf-C7lRYRHgszsGFuHred0BtIuFh2qh1mysZfaXKUEYLLEgWGnc-lWBeyIYpuh6mW4u_2ZJLOuLYjNdNrI3bq9-XsLiw9Zp91hpdrOb8L3YRLm63iC0iiWZr8gWZsJh8j5VC0Va_E5H7HSxKN5aSm5HqxRhkvgKJZMsdxgEnqK2WEJu60dmnaYDcgoqppiyvv8aEy6Hq-_Jy47SmMgrYAL00QK_vUa9-J3exbr-H0LMt_U8wMEwnfIYvy22t-3dkNv-85qsEAMKhCn1bYQ6YStGpy2EK0Fi9Z2IXpEGDxf8uAnnUeMSo1-W9BnYG_5tA_rK9QDAWLHCh6qD6ELufmMfK2Or0CGdl1QdLHQazdeS1UL1FZCSzZLuJJvYkdepBh3p6FVQSVG0nUrVUAznqOCrgQV_OLw1sjU0dtdhF2OOea1wysdDRWpUDMFPKcPrgrkMu=w2044-h1532-no

3JT9EKm5RrU4mPX_OR9jPQ_5h9WKJc3z8pGl1KtmGQfHZDqBg-L7Kg11Khba4vwCzkykVsAjadB5AcuiLroCX68Hj4EOah27YXOOgHUTC44EmssGchmc7Y778LYYJZZidguVQ5cVKTFxuwAgbU44V7hpTKRLk724UqvfJD_zP4uH8fLtJT_Xz3ujscF7dHE-FqLfqENyUtYBwYIBS3rOJMthdvZxxTawln7As-uzhgMMKuCPN1zEZGc7LIdvI1ywC_EYEu4qsclOtETCTlCa7W0wZvG8FezArL0bKbUHHTfs3YCcdZ_DZVFXSr0TvDgiWMuqX888H0tBFHHnd1B9V9QV3X7YD5ERt0yJefWX2UfuvHi2STQQXukCmucIHwWIDEqz5guop52I0owlMok-5gJiZYfJbGR0Fj13WzIbCxStMhB7U6MJab6foN3hRDJIMMWqXT3dManGJ5vh0bk6D_Fjzm2VfdYTn4plVl4ej5M6iyePatLA5syOoV2NCCJIKLMJL3lBp60VhgEip1Xj54IH5zq_yndJQjXo4DKFDZQnnxTQGzTDvJ3afFtpv99gFOsT4JUzO5OkJmMmVhCi-w8fDBQqzcjYOHnvPN9sUhqhM8S-nqwEGKTWsU82gf2CDhEwCK87Cjs4BDjEgEgI4LgrOaF6BxQX=w2044-h1532-no

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Razer Blackwidow ultimate 2016, not a big fan of it. It's ok but I've had better keyboards before.

Been looking at the K70 but not sure which switches to pick

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Razer blackwidow chroma x. I love it but I really want the Massdrop CTRL TKL keyboard. Looks extremely nice.
I've been interested in some of the Massdrop keyboards but the lack of ISO layout support kind of just kills it for me.

I've used a US layout keyboard before and while I could put up with it, it's far from ideal. I'd rather just get something else that does support it, especially if I'm paying that much.

Vexed

Jul 23, 2018
Love my Romer G Tactile G513. The USB slot is really useful.

I also like Logitech's RGB presets for various games (especially like that my red-lit keys "beep" with the bomb countdown in CS:GO). Not a huge deal, but still neat function for the RGB.

sKell-10

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
My IKBC F87 has lasted me longer than my corsair k70 and is my second mechanical keyboard after using membrane keyboards forever. Couldn't be happier-colour options are extensive, feels good for shooters and has all the features I need. I guess the only downside would be no numpad if you're into that but I like the shorter length.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton

I brought my old CM Storm to work - it has cherry browns and I put in some o-ring dampeners to help reduce noise. It's had the side effect of making it feel like a less mushy membrane keyboard (outside of the larger keys with the levers or whatever they're called).

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I use a Logitech G910 and love it. Had a K70 (browns) before, wasn't a fan. Wife uses a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate. Nice keyboard but too clacky for me.