• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Eminem is just not writing good bars anymore. He tries to do what he used to, but his ability to create imagery has fallen so far that the elementary level metaphors he paints now come off as corny. Plus his cadence fell off a cliff, so the technical proficiency with with he used to pen his craft (what really elevated him levels above his peers) is a thing of a long forgotten past.

Em being the GOAT of his era and him being bad now don't cancel each other out as mutually exclusive facts. He was once the best, now he is like Michael Jordan trying to run in the NBA at 58. You can acknowledge his greatness and also tell him to get the fuck off the court.

I agree with most but Cadence

MTBMB especially part 2, listen to Zues I think RN he's peak with cadence but shit with content

KungFuKunta

Banned
Jun 7, 2021
I agree with most but Cadence

MTBMB especially part 2, listen to Zues I think RN he's peak with cadence but shit with content

Yea but what content are people expecting exactly? His middle age rich white guy problems? Should he make fun of boy bands again?

When you boil it down the biggest problem people have with Eminem is he shouldn't exist any more in the rap game. If that's the best you can do then you got nothing

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
"Elementary level metaphors"

Y'all are too much. 😂

Breh, how you gonna hold up his most straightforward song in years as an example of his pen game?

Feels like I'm loathing in Las Vegas
Fuck the Colt 45, I'ma need somethin' stronger
If I pop any caps, it better be off of vodka
Round after round after round, I'm gettin' loaded
That's a lot of shots, huh? (Double entendre)
Leanin' out the window, going Keyser Soze

Like, this surface-level comparison of pre-show jitters and the Vegas shooting ain't touching anything Lupe, Aesop or Ka did in the past five years. Ka's doing full-on concept albums relating street shit to the bushido code, Cain and Abel and Greek mythology, but because he doesn't rap fast and his beats don't have drums, I guess he might as well not exist.

Last edited:

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Yea but what content are people expecting exactly? His middle age rich white guy problems? Should he make fun of boy bands again?

When you boil it down the biggest problem people have with Eminem is he shouldn't exist any more in the rap game. If that's the best you can do then you got nothing
Middle age white guy problems would be interesting. Exploring aging in a genre dominated by younger people is good and he's like one of five big mainstream rappers who can. At worst it's be more interesting than just bars for the sake of bars or serial killer raps.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
After Eminem excised the cancer of Trump supporters from his fanbase (line in the sand stuff), he became goat for me. People in entertainment industry, especially those within the toxic masculinity, sexist zones tend to be shitbags who wouldn't piss off their voters with political stuff. AKA "Republicans buy sneakers too" mentality. But Eminem despite making at times misogynistic and sexist garbage in his product, stood up and told Trumplings to fuck right off. And this was also huge because alt-right and Trump Republicans were making Eminem "their" guy on account of his potty mouth behavior.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
After Eminem excised the cancer of Trump supporters from his fanbase (line in the sand stuff), he became goat for me. People in entertainment industry, especially those within the toxic masculinity, sexist zones tend to be shitbags who wouldn't piss off their voters with political stuff. AKA "Republicans buy sneakers too" mentality. But Eminem despite making at times misogynistic and sexist garbage in his product, stood up and told Trumplings to fuck right off. And this was also huge because alt-right and Trump Republicans were making Eminem "their" guy on account of his potty mouth behavior.
I'll be real, for as shit as Revival is, if Eminem took that kind of content and put it over decent production and restrained himself from his more annoying writing habits and flows, I would actually be interested in hearing it.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019

You know I'm on your side right?

just saying for argument sake that's the only objective counter point people can make

yeah seems most people just want
him to stop existing.

Jun 7, 2018
Bite is the thing most rappers do
But I can write my own thing too
I can understand things most rappers say
'Cause rappin' is my thing and I do it every day
I'm the number one rapper, yo, my name is Sven
I can rap more raps than a superman can

Unless you're calling DJ Sven a liar, that's proof right there that the best Eminem can manage is second place.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
Em used to be amazing but he's fallen off big time. His schtick just doesn't work anymore. And he's def NOT the GOAT.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
He's your favorite rappers' favorite rapper...

[points to rapper who's been irrelevant for 20+ years]

brb, trying to imagine the life of the cornball who posted this thread

Oct 31, 2017
The only Em song I listen to with any regularity is Infinite. That's still a classic jam, to me.

we loved him in middle school and by high school he was officially cheese

He reminds me of the year 2000.
When people call him the goat, I have flashbacks of comedians saying "the greatest golfer is black and the best rapper is white waka waka waka"

and I just wonder about these people who hold outdated opinions for decades just to keep some lame "ironic" joke relevant to themselves

It's fair to call Em a "rap god" based on his rappity rap ability and influence but that's it.

MF DOOM is the best of all time. Kendrick is unquestionably more goated

is this your king?

www.google.com

Eminem expresses regret for anti-Trump freestyle, claims he was questioned by Secret Service

Eminem has addressed the response to his 2017 BET Awards Tump freestyle, and claims the president sent Secret Service agents to interview him.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
The only Em song I listen to with any regularity is Infinite. That's still a classic jam, to me.

we loved him in middle school and by high school he was officially cheese

He reminds me of the year 2000.
When people call him the goat, I have flashbacks of comedians saying "the greatest golfer is black and the best rapper is white waka waka waka"

and I just wonder about these people who hold outdated opinions for decades just to keep some lame "ironic" joke relevant to themselves

It's fair to call Em a "rap god" based on his rappity rap ability and influence but that's it.

MF DOOM is the best of all time. Kendrick is unquestionably more goated

is this your king?

www.google.com

Eminem expresses regret for anti-Trump freestyle, claims he was questioned by Secret Service

Eminem has addressed the response to his 2017 BET Awards Tump freestyle, and claims the president sent Secret Service agents to interview him.

The article you linked is the authors opinion and rips lines from lyrics and offers their opinion and not his own. He doubled down on his fuck trump shit when actually asked and quoted:

"At the end of the day, if I did lose half my fan base, then so be it, because I feel like I stood up for what was right and I'm on the right side of this," he told Billboard in an interview posted Thursday. "I don't see how somebody could be middle class, busting their a– every single day, paycheck to paycheck, who thinks that that f—— billionaire is gonna help you."

If the closest you can get to calling him a Trumpers is him saying:

"If I could go back, I'd at least reword it / And say I empathize with the people this evil serpent sold the dream to that he's deserted,"

Then thats a weak assed attack bruh. Especially when you got lil wayne taking fucking pictures with Donald Trump. Criticize him for legit reasons. Trying to paint him as a Trumper is stupid.

Oct 31, 2017
The article you linked is the authors opinion and rips lines from lyrics and offers their opinion and not his own. He doubled down on his fuck trump shit when actually asked and quoted:

"At the end of the day, if I did lose half my fan base, then so be it, because I feel like I stood up for what was right and I'm on the right side of this," he told Billboard in an interview posted Thursday. "I don't see how somebody could be middle class, busting their a– every single day, paycheck to paycheck, who thinks that that f—— billionaire is gonna help you."

"If I could go back, I'd at least reword it / And say I empathize with the people this evil serpent sold the dream to that he's deserted,"

Then thats a weak assed attack bruh. Especially when you got lil wayne taking fucking pictures with Donald Trump. Criticize him for legit reasons. Trying to paint him as a Trumper is stupid.

you think my post tried to "paint him as a trumper", really? How?

he said he regretted the line the poster said made him their goat, that's it

now he doesn't regret it; whatever

Last edited:

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Lmaooo OP needs to come online , twitter Gen z and younger millennials aren't crazy about Eminem either Lmaoo
It's not exclusive to ERA

Oct 27, 2017
Sentences like these sometimes I think I live in a different reality

I mean you probably do? Just off the top of my head, the libraries and careers of two other middle-aged white rappers (El-P and Aesop Rock) vastly eclipse Eminem's. And both are definitely putting out better music in 2021 (where I'd also argue that at the least El is much more relevant to music overall nowadays than Eminem).

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I see a lot of instances of the same exact lines repeated ad nauseam. Maybe 3 or 4 lines.

Makes me wonder how much of his catalog some in here have actually listened to because there is 25 years worth out there.

Just an observation I'm seeing.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017

This doesn't make Em a "Trumper" but he does essentially say he empathizes with Trumpers. Also, this CNN article is from January, and The Ringer was released in August. He's basically saying he regrets losing the Trump loving fan base he has by alienating them with his lyrics, instead of standing by doing the right thing and losing them. I'm pretty sure he says it again in his interview with Sway.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I mean you probably do? Just off the top of my head, the libraries and careers of two other middle-aged white rappers (El-P and Aesop Rock) vastly eclipse Eminem's. And both are definitely putting out better music in 2021 (where I'd also argue that at the least El is much more relevant to music overall nowadays than Eminem).

Some people who don't actually listen to rap or possibly like it (lol) are in this post. Its a perfectly legit argument to debate Em's greatness pro or against, but its odd how people see him as the alpha and omega of the genre.

El-P is easily up there; I would argue he's stronger at documenting abusive home life and struggle along with better constructed bars (his earlier flows are an acquired taste, lol) in his solo work and Run The Jewels is basically wide screen stadium hip-hop a la "Lose Yourself" but filtered through a sharp sociopolitical edge with stronger songwriting.

And we won't get into the fact EL is one of the greatest beatmakers of all time. Em's a fantastic mix of success and skill a la Jay, Biggie etc so its fun debating GOAT status on that level. But to say he's the best in the art-form factoring in underground less mainstream cats? Nah.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017

nah for real, why'd you interpret my post as trying to paint him as being a trump supporter?

The article I posted said he regrets the anti-trump line and he empathizes with trump supporters as if they were somehow tricked by trump and not willingly into his evil bullshit(which is dumb as fuck) but nothing in my post implied he himself is a trump supporter.

that you even interpreted my post as any kind of "attack" is some bullshit, for real
Eminem will be fine even if I did "attack him"...