• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I forced myself to finish the last two books of the Inheritance Cycle as I already started Eragon and Eldest. I remember skimming them as they were extremely bloated and desperately needed a proper editor to trim it. Hard pass on this.

I loved those books but I really didn't need a 300 page explanation on dwarvish mourning customs and political strife over the sale of minerals and electing a new leader when a fucking war was going on in the background.

I became 1000x more interested in Roran than eragon

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
She might want to rename that one too.

Paolini's work is easy to both criticize and make fun of, but the title is fine. There's plenty of similar sounding titles across works that manage to co-exist without interfering with each other. And the association between seas and stars is so prevalent that it's not even accurate to say it's derivative so much as just something our minds naturally connect to each other.

And while Paolini's writing usually leaves a lot to be desired "To Sleep in a Sea of Stars" is actually a pretty good line. It's alliterative, it evokes a sort of dreamlike poignancy, and it's poetic sounding. It's iambic trimeter, if I'm reading it right, though you have to make "in a" a singular soft syllable for it to work. It's a good title and I hope the actual book is reflective of that quality.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019
I don't want to dunk on this guy but I don't recall him being the world's best writer, though he was just a teenager when he started so that's kind of impressive. I kind of forgot about him entirely, no idea if he's improved his craft since then.

His parents own a publishing company. Still impressive to write a book at that age, but that definitely helped him to get an editor and the attention of bigger publishers.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The Eragon series was terrible even when I read it as a teenager. Hopefully Paolini has improved as a writer now that he's older as I kinda did think it was cool someone close to my age got their own fancy series published.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I really liked the first two books, but I was also 15 and had never seen Star Wars or read LOTR.
Finished the series years later and the second half draaagged. Those dragon POV chapters were painful to read. And the resolution to the endfight is still the stupidest one I've ever read.

Please don't get me started. He spends more time describing the detail on a leaf than the final battle scene.

I loved those books but I really didn't need a 300 page explanation on dwarvish mourning customs and political strife over the sale of minerals and electing a new leader when a fucking war was going on in the background.

Or an entire chapter (or two? or five?) of how to forge a sword.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018

Gosh, I remember that. My man's pacing was horrific. I used to love those books, but I know it'd be bad if I ever went back to them.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I always really liked the books. I found the first half of the first book to be the toughest bit to get through, even in the 6th grade. But his writing improved a bunch after that.

But I guess opinions are like assholes or whatever.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was young enough to like Eragon when I read it. At the time I thought it was great, and knowing it was a book written by a fellow teenager at the time made me enjoy it even more.

But having tried to go back, it's exceedingly mediocre, and I stopped trying to read it again so I could preserve my nostalgia. Hopefully he's stepped up significantly as a writer since then, otherwise I don't think this will be well received.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Dude's writing is basically the equivalent to stale bread, but i can't fault him for staying in the game and keeping at it. Wish I could get published.

And on the whole, he's less offensive than Cline or Goodkind, so he's got that going for him.

ieo

Aug 7, 2019
The naive kid in me wants to check this out but I'm still haunted by that mind numbingly bad sword-smelting chapter in Brisingr.

People in here are talking about him ripping off other authors - he copied and pasted industry smelting instructions like he thought it wouldn't be the driest thing ever.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Finished reading it. As an opening chapter, I think it's a marked improvement over his other work, especially since he doesn't have to fill it with needless fantasy terms. He is still over descriptive in many places, he still isn't terribly great at characterization, and the pacing is still an issue.

Basically, all that happens in this chapter is a woman wakes up from a crash she had, notices she's in an alien room, touches a basil-like structure in the middle of the room and then gets covered by some kind of scifi space dust. The only reason it's as long as it is is because he is desperately filling in mostly irrelevant information like that her dream is to make an alien discovery or that she wants daddy to be proud or what organization she works for.

That stuff is important character building stuff, but it interrupts the action flow here so much. This lady should (and we are told she is) shitting herself at having crashed, made an alien discovery which is the biggest fucking deal in the world, and then is then swarmed by dust. This is highly intense shit, so you want her mind to be on the here and now, not thinking about what her dad's gonna want to hear. In contrast, since the backstory basically comes as an info dump, we don't really get much of a sense of personality for her. All I really pick up from her is that she is career minded and seems to like to follow rules/morals, which is a bit bland.

Nevertheless, as I said, this is pretty leaps and bounds ahead of what his Eragon work was, especially the first book (which is the one I have read most recently). It actually starts with characters doing something important for one, and it atleast know to build some mystery and intrigue. Of course, this only the first couple pages and that's a very basic checklist of what opening chapters ought to do. We'll see how the rest of the story goes forward.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Finished reading it. As an opening chapter, I think it's a marked improvement over his other work, especially since he doesn't have to fill it with needless fantasy terms. He is still over descriptive in many places, he still isn't terribly great at characterization, and the pacing is still an issue.

Basically, all that happens in this chapter is a woman wakes up from a crash she had, notices she's in an alien room, touches a basil-like structure in the middle of the room and then gets covered by some kind of scifi space dust. The only reason it's as long as it is is because he is desperately filling in mostly irrelevant information like that her dream is to make an alien discovery or that she wants daddy to be proud or what organization she works for.

That stuff is important character building stuff, but it interrupts the action flow here so much. This lady should (and we are told she is) shitting herself at having crashed, made an alien discovery which is the biggest fucking deal in the world, and then is then swarmed by dust. This is highly intense shit, so you want her mind to be on the here and now, not thinking about what her dad's gonna want to hear. In contrast, since the backstory basically comes as an info dump, we don't really get much of a sense of personality for her. All I really pick up from her is that she is career minded and seems to like to follow rules/morals, which is a bit bland.

Nevertheless, as I said, this is pretty leaps and bounds ahead of what his Eragon work was, especially the first book (which is the one I have read most recently). It actually starts with characters doing something important for one, and it atleast know to build some mystery and intrigue. Of course, this only the first couple pages and that's a very basic checklist of what opening chapters ought to do. We'll see how the rest of the story goes forward.
Thanks for the review. Not sure I'll read the book but I'm glad to see he's improved.

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I somehow missed this, new art, cover, and a Mystery Gift promotion when you pre-order

ToSleepCover-reduced-768x1167.jpg

Tsiasos-Desktop-Wallpaper.jpg

www.paolini.net

To Sleep in a Sea of Stars - Christopher Paolini - Paolini.net

To Sleep in a Sea of Stars is Christopher Paolini's debut science fiction novel, set to be published by Tor Books on September 15, 2020.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Cover's nice atleast. It's an upgrade from how all the bored all the dragons looked in his other books.

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ok, one more thread bump otherwise I'll just assume no one else is interested haha

Jennifer Hale is doing the audiobook

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Getting strong Dark Universe vibes off that.

And I'm hoping he's smart enough to tell a complete story with the first book first.
Did he ever get better? I saw the movie of Eragon and it was the worst.
The Eragon movie is much worse than the book, but that's something of a backhanded compliment. I read his latest work, and...not really, it's still bad, but I also wouldn't see it as representative of what he can do. We'll see how this book turns out.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I remember reading the Inheritance cycle ten-ish or so years ago and not being overly impressed. My girlfriend absolutely adores the books though, just finished her reread of the series and she keeps pushing me to do the same. I really don't feel the need 😅

I'm a sucker for first contact stories, though: I might give this a go eventually.

"Fractalverse" sounds stupid as fuck, though.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I can't contribute too much, as I haven't read his books. But I take major issue with that blurb in OP. To describe the initial setting on Left Hand of Darkness as "a routine survey mission" is to betray that you didn't understand that book at all.

Also, announcing a "massive universe!!!" before anyone has read a page of the first book is a giant red flag.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't contribute too much, as I haven't read his books. But I take major issue with that blurb in OP. To describe the initial setting on Left Hand of Darkness as "a routine survey mission" is to betray that you didn't understand that book at all.

Also, announcing a "massive universe!!!" before anyone has read a page of the first book is a giant red flag.

The only person I'd trust to pre-announce an entire series is Brandon Sanderson, and only because he is pumping out three books a years consistently.

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
I read Eragon and the first sequel in fourth grade. By the time the third and fourth came out it wasn't exactly safe to be reading books about dragons openly in public school if you wanted to keep your lunch money safe ( I switched to the Edge Chronicles and the Gone series).

I wouldn't expect Eragon books to hold up now that I'm in my 20s, but I didn't know that so many people didn't like him or the series until reading this thread lol. This being said, this new novel doesn't seem like the most inspired piece of fiction but I'll probably at least take it out from the library eventually.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Reading Eragon effectively killed all my interest of writing fantasy stuff or anything else, tbh. Had an story in mind, and I can assure you, my idea was a lot worse than his.