• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts/hottest-day-ever-in-phoenix-oral-history-122-degrees-11477223

phoenix-hottest-day-ever-june-26-1990-122-degrees-downtown-s.jpg

BrE1yQECIAMUGjg.jpg

Esmé will always remember June 26, 1990. People don't tend to forget days when their underpants literally melted due to the heat. The Valley resident was working at Sky Harbor International Airport as a wardrobe artist on a commercial shoot for the now-defunct America West Airlines.

It was a bad afternoon to be out on the tarmac. The temperature was unusually high, even for Phoenix: 120 degrees at 2 p.m. — and rising. The original plan was to film inside the air-conditioned comforts of the terminal, and Esmé had shown up wearing an all-black ensemble: a long, sleeveless black linen dress and sandals. But a last-minute change sent them outside in the blazing heat to shoot ground crews at work.

"I wound up sitting on an apple box on the tarmac for hours and hours watching them film people loading and unloading airplanes," Esmé says. "It got boring after awhile."

But as the temperature kept rising, things started to get more interesting.

"My sandals were stuck to the tarmac, and I walked right out of them," Esmé says.

She also began feeling a burning sensation on her inner thighs.

"I thought, 'Oh my gosh, that really hurts.' I went to the ladies' room and the rubber around the leg band in my underwear completely melted. Completely melted. I had to pry it off my legs. I still have scars on my inner thighs to this day."

The temperature outside would eventually reach 122 degrees, a record hasn't been broken since. It was part of a miserable, weeklong heat wave in Arizona that — in addition to baking everyone's brains and giving transplants a reason to second-guess their decision to move here — resulted in dozens of hospitalizations and at least three deaths.

Phoenix earned headlines nationwide and was the butt of quips from late-night TV talk show hosts. Valley meteorologists had a field day. Entrepreneurs made a fortune selling commemorative T-shirts within hours. Local utility Salt River Project reported sky-high power usage figures. A lot of people freaked out.

Come for the many tales told from melted plastic suspenders, cancelled flights (allegedly) and Dairy Queen running out of ice cream.

Rob Birmingham, bartender: I lived in Tempe at this wild apartment complex known as Desert Palms. Some asshole parked in my reserved parking spot, so I baked some Toll House cookies on his car hood right around noon. By 4 p.m., the bottoms were pretty cooked. I was kinda hoping that the owner would come out to see me eating one off of his ride.

Today will be 111f and tomorrow will be 109, the closest we hit it again was in 2017 with 120F

097ca19251d2ae806119ce1d161f7ba0.gif

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a Houstonian but went to college in Tempe, I remember it hitting 119f and still preferring it over the 90s+humidity of Houston.

It's definitely a hot city, but at least there wasn't a bunch of mosquitoes.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have never read that before (from Scotland sunshine is rare lol). Anyone know the record for highest heat anywhere is?

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I experienced 105-110 degree temperature when I was in Vegas last year and it just felt...weird. Like it wasn't even "hot," it just felt like something I've never experienced lol.

...a.k.a. really fucking hot.