• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Do right now close to two years.
Getting a kitten this week, have no money and am the only person to sleep in my bed.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
With the exception of last year, I've lived alone all my adult life. Last year I moved in with my then-girlfriend about an hour drive away, and spent the entire year commuting 2-3 hours a day to my old town until I landed a job in the new town. I had barely started when she fell for a guy at her new job, broke up with me, and I had to move in with my sister until I could find my own place back in the old town again. Because of COVID I can work from home instead of commuting the other way, but also due to COVID I wasn't able to get my old job back.

And she cheated too, so there's that. Anyway, I found it hard at first to go back to living alone when you've been in a domestic relationship. But it's more the relationship aspects of it I miss.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
I love living alone and don't know that I could ever go back to living with someone again.

My place. My rules. I come and go as I please. I do what I want. Don't have to explain myself or answer to anyone. It's just pure, blissful freedom.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I fantasize about living alone but have no idea how to pull it off

What are some cheap rent states where I can get my own place for under $1K a month?

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I've lived alone since I moved out of my parents house, 30 years ago. I'm not sure I could ever live with someone now, after all this time. It changes you.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
I've only ever lived with my parents or with a roommate so far. Finding my own place is the dream.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently living alone. Been doing so for the past 4 years. It gets lonely, but that's what call girls are for.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've always wanted to try living alone and I have been for the past two months, so far so good, though at times it does feel strange and intimidating being solely resposonsible for a whole place yourself.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yes, it was awesome.
Unfortunately my finances took a turn that I had to move back with my mom. But I absolutely loved being by my lonesome (with cats)

MajorTom

Nov 5, 2017
England
I've been living on my own for a few months now.
Me and my girlfriend bought the house early last year, and then she cheated on me earlier this year.
She moved out in July and I've been alone ever since.

it's been a bad time for my mental health. I really struggled at first, but it's become a little easier over the last month. It's the loneliness that gets to me the most. COVID has made that part more difficult too.

Outside of the loneliness though, it's pretty good. Nice that I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, in any room of the house. Did make me realise that my ex did a lot more of the housework than I thought though 😂

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
For me, living alone was crucial. I also dated someone through college, then started living together after, and one of the reasons I ended things was just the feeling that my life was being railroaded and I needed time to live alone and not be responsible for anyone. I lived alone for about 2 years before I met someone else, and now we are married. Those two years living alone were great, I matured a lot and grew into my adult self. It made me way more independent and interesting, bc before I would just go along with whatever my gf wanted. Towards the end it definitely got old, and I'm happy to be married now, but I definitely needed that time in my life.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
I've always wanted to try living alone and I have been for the past two months, so far so good, though at times it does feel strange and intimidating being solely resposonsible for a whole place yourself.
For sure. I also find it empowering at the same time. I've learned so much and have taken care of so many things on my own that I didn't imagine I was capable of some 13 years ago when I first bought my home.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
i technically had a roommate at the time, but we worked literal opposite shifts (i worked Fri-Sat-Sun from 6am to 6pm, he worked Mon-Tue-Wed-Thurs from like noon to midnight and had a two hour total commute) so we almost never saw each other. if thats what really living alone is like... it was fucking awesome. having a place to yourself, where you are the only one responsible for everything (in this case, we cleaned up after ourselves and never encountered anyone elses messes/clutter), and can enjoy it according to your own whims and pleasures is absolutely fantastic. it also helped that the apartment was incredible. i miss that shit a lot tbh

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Been on my own going on 12 years now and I love it. I just love the freedom and I think it'd be hard to go back if I ever did settle down with someone again. I lived with numerous people in the past, some girlfriends, some roommates and they all were enjoyable at times but now that I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, without the risk of annoying anyone else and not getting annoyed myself... it's hard to give up.

I also live really close to my dad which is nice so we can visit a lot and I have friends that aren't far away. I won't lie and say it's not lonely at times, but nothing that seems to impact me all that much day to day.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
I've been living alone in a 2-story house for the past 8 years. The cats keep me company. I wouldn't change it for the world, it rules.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's pros and cons, I love living alone and I love living with people I love.

I also get sick of both sometimes and miss the other.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yes, I've been living alone for more than 7 years. I dated someone a couple of years back and she lived with me every other week, and after a while I kind of hated losing that me time, lol. If I'm being honest with myself, this is probably a big part of why it didn't work out between us. I've been living by myself for so long now that I kind of don't want to stop doing so, even if that means I'll stay single

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've live alone a bunch.
It's my favorite. Though I do tend to stay up later than normal just because I don't have to worry about disrupting people later at night.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Living alone can be great, but I don't recommend doing it in a city where you don't know anyone and have no friends to invite over/go out with.

Living with a partner/SO is significantly different to living with friends/roommates though. If they're the right type of person, you still get a lot of the freedoms you enjoy living alone, e.g. casual nakedness and the general not-giving-a-fuck feeling.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and I love it.
Wouldn't want to live alone forever but man, I enjoy coming home and being able to do whatever the fuck I want without having to think about anybody else.
I can just leave things lying around until they bother me, I can sit around in my underwear and watch TV, it's great.
Do I want to throw my worn underwear in the fridge? No but I could if I wanted to!

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I live alone (with a cat) - I'm very introverted, so I need my own space, so that part is great. Sometimes I feel lonely, having no one at home when you arrive, or to share your day, stuff like that. I have lived together with my then-girlfriend for a few years, and our dynamic allowed me to have some "me" time, so that was the best of both worlds for me. My experience of living with roommates was terrible.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Living alone is incredibly depressing for me. I moved across the country earlier this year on my own, and then covid happened. I've been living alone since march and it's very difficult not having human connection right now.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've grown up in a big family with TONS of friends and family always coming over, and i don't ever want to live alone honestly

Maybe with a dog

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I've lived alone the last 5 years. I wouldn't say it is the greatest thing ever. I never had an issue with roommates or living with a gf before so I never felt like I didn't have the freedom to do whatever I wanted when I did live with others.

The biggest issue for me is the loneliness. I have a dog but its not the same. I have a number of friends who I use to regularly see and do stuff with but that had decreased in the last few years with everyone settling down and having kids. Plus with Covid shutting everything down that doesnt help.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much always. I had roommates freshman year of college and then for about two months in 2012. Both times, I did not care for it. Like when they're out in the living room I was like "fuck, this is insufferable, I want to use the living room." Sometimes I think it might be healthier to have a roommate though.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Me and my girlfriend broke up and Ive been living alone for a month now. I think im happier now, but i guess I still have alot of emotions attached to living with someone. I think it comes from me being co dependent but im trying to change that.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Yes, I've been living alone for more than 7 years. I dated someone a couple of years back and she lived with me every other week, and after a while I kind of hated losing that me time, lol. If I'm being honest with myself, this is probably a big part of why it didn't work out between us. I've been living by myself for so long now that I kind of don't want to stop doing so, even if that means I'll stay single

I'm basically in your seat, tried the sambo thing with a girlfriend and I really didn't care for it. I have a dog I love very much though, and it'll be a very tough transition when she eventually passes to go from "by myself with wonderful dog" to "by myself". Unlike ending the sambo relationship which was a relief of a transition.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
I lived alone for a little over seven years from 2007 to 2014. It had its ups and downs. I enjoyed the freedom of having my own space and being able to keep whatever odd hours I wanted, although living in an apartment vs. a house meant I still couldn't blast my music super loud or whatever. The loneliness did get to me sometimes (I adopted a pair of cats about three years in, which helped), and as someone who was already dealing with social anxiety, I also started to develop more paranoiac and agoraphobic tendencies over time, especially during the winter or when I was under a lot of work-related stress. Since I almost never had guests over, there was no one to hold me accountable for keeping the place clean, and I'd let laundry and dishes pile up longer than I otherwise would have.

There are times I miss it for sure, but overall I'm in a healthier and more responsible state living with others.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I've been living alone for about half a year, and it's the happiest I've ever been.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Yes and it was the best thing in my life. No unannounced/drop-in guests who just show up whenever to see whoever in your house. No roommate bullshit. Can invite anyone anytime, can do whatever the fuck with my time. Can put on headphones because I wouldn't have to worry about someone needing me. Don't have to wear clothes. It was great. I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't wanna live like that again. Other than not being able to afford an apartment by myself, of course.

Sometimes I think about getting a hotel room on my off-day just so I can experience that again. Being away from the people in this house.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
About to turn 39 and will be living on my own 50% of the time (splitting custody of kids) soon. First time in my life, I'm pretty excited!

Nov 17, 2017
It's great. There are some things you can only do when you live alone and don't have to consider other people. If I'm lonely, I can just invite someone over and have that experience for a bit until I'm tired. Having an entire space to yourself to retreat to is so valuable.