• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I watch old commercials on Youtube when I get bored (Damn you all playing Pokemon) and I keep bumping into PSAs I remembered back when I was 5-11 watching cartoon blocks or waking up randomly at night at 1-2am and fuck, the Ad Council and Drug Free America kinda haunted me for bit until post 9-11 thanks to the real scary shit was...well not these. However, they still should should be examined as we 80s-90s-early 00s kids into bitter adults go back and see which ads actually had an effect on us and which still are still haunting as shit.

Jeez...even the old Ad Council logo gives me a chill.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't even a kid, but those Canadian work place safety videos will haunt my dreams. Especially the kitchen one.

NSFL

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the one that used to play during the radio version of Love Line, it was set in the future and all I remember is an adult explaining to kids what trees were (because there weren't any left). It always stuck out to me as a vision of a potential future.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017

lmao, I remember the 90s psas took a particularly dark turn...

Last edited:

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017

Trigger Warning for Abuse against Women
That scream during the coffee part always fucks me up

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
the one that used to play during the radio version of Love Line, it was set in the future and all I remember is an adult explaining to kids what trees were (because there weren't any left). It always stuck out to me as a vision of a potential future.
That does seem pretty haunting, but now I'm sitting here trying to think of a scenario where something somehow killed off all the trees, but humans were still around. Not coming up with anything.

Edit: it turned out to be forest fires. LOL

Last edited:

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ugh, blaming the extinction of trees on forest forest instead of on mass industrial and commercial use is extremely disingenuous. That's always been a pet peeve of mine and I still hear it repeated in 2019 sometimes, with forest fires even being used as an excuse for clear cutting.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this came on about the same time i started getting high. it didn't scare me but my dumb buddies and i would laugh our balls off every time it came on

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

oh man i forgot all about this! one of my said dumb buddies worked at a local theater and he'd get us in for free every couple weeks. this scene killed us since it was ripped pretty much straight out of our lives at the time

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Gofer cakes parody commercial on the Dr. Doolittle vhs cassette. It was a PSA to tell kids to go exercise.

Deleted member 37303

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 2, 2018
PSA's never did shit. VH1's Behind the Music did. If Rick James couldn't handle blow, what chance did I have?

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
ugh, blaming the extinction of trees on forest forest instead of on mass industrial and commercial use is extremely disingenuous. That's always been a pet peeve of mine and I still hear it repeated in 2019 sometimes, with forest fires even being used as an excuse for clear cutting.

It was the Reagan-Bush era of shit. "It's not OUR fault, its yours."

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I wasn't even a kid, but those Canadian work place safety videos will haunt my dreams. Especially the kitchen one.

NSFL

God, fuck no.
I am NEVER watching that again.
I've seen some disturbing stuff on the internet, but somehow, a safety PSA shown on TV takes the cake.
That kitchen scene is WAY too real. This would have traumatized me as a kid.
Hell, as an adult it's taught me that I NEVER wanna work in a kitchen.
Canada doesn't fuck around with safety, it seems.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the TMNT one a lot just because of the ending

This is one that will always stay with me. I lived in the suburbs where my bus stop was about 2-3 houses away, and I never really thought about what someone else's walk home could be like.

lordmrw

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is one that will always stay with me. I lived in the suburbs where my bus stop was about 2-3 houses away, and I never really thought about what someone else's walk home could be like.

This one hit me the hardest. I grew up in a rough neighborhood and there were times I had to take the long way home for a number of reasons. It hit even harder when two kids from my elemntary school class were kidnapped and killed.