• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deodorant or antiperspirant

• deodorant

Votes: 126 64.0%
  • antiperspirant

Votes: 71 36.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
ERA, I've been using antiperspirant all my life, but I read that, besides staining your clothes, they are kind of bad for your armpits (for its use of Al). So, I wanna know, is deodorant better? When I tried it in the past, it still made my armpits smell, that's why I went with antiperspirant.

Has the situation changed? Or did I use a shitty deodorant to begin with?

Oct 31, 2017
Shave your armpits with an electric trimmer, particularly if you live in a hot climate. As to your question, I prefer deodorant.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I have weird skin and my arm pits always transpirate and found none work me, I tried a lot of stuff, even powder as a cure but always need to wear an under shirt. I used sticks and sprays and it never made a difference.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019

For ages they used dangerous molecules, specialy aluminum salts because they close the pores and hence limits sudation. The problem is, these salts don t stay on the surface, they impregnate, and in prolonged use greatly increase the occurrence risk of certain cancers, particularly bladder cancer.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For ages they used dangerous molecules, specialy aluminum salts because they close the pores and hence limits sudation. The problem is, these salts don t stay on the surface, they impregnate, and in prolonged use greatly increase the occurrence risk of certain cancers, particularly bladder cancer.

Can you provide sources on this?

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I ditched antiperspirant for deodorant several years ago and haven't looked back. I actually sweat less than I did with antiperspirant and have much less of an issue with pit stains.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Antiperspirant for me. Always used it and I hate the idea of while still having it in your arm pits that you still sweat like crazy with regular deodorant. Also, I'm in my 30s and never shaved my armpits.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I highly recommend Dr. Mist deodorant. I've tried lots, and it works better than everything else. Side benefit is that it happens to be free of chemicals you might get warned about by your aunt on Facebook.

Shaving/trimming your armpit hair is the best thing you can do though. Body hair is the enemy of smelling delicious.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
antiperspirant is ruining your shirts! Save money and itch by sticking to just deodorant.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Antiperspirant, I feel like Deodorant only lasts like 2 hours and then it's gone.

And I've rarely had issues with it ruining my shirts.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Nah it's fine . Use a clear gel and my shirts are still good for months ... and that's gym shirts.
Use deodorant if you want but smearing scent on stink doesn't do shit for me. You still sweat and it still smells
I grew up and lived in AZ for most of my life. I haven't had A/C in my car for 3 summers. For years I used antiperspirant. I learned they were the reason I'd get white and yellow pit stains, so I switched to just deodorant (same brand). While I did technically sweat more, I didn't notice a different in smell. You're still going to smell after a long day, after all, regardless of how strong a deodorant/antiperspirant is. When I initially switched my pits itched a lot and eventually stopped with just deodorant. I didn't realize how often my pits were irritated from using antiperspirant.

Everyone's different, but it is pretty clear cut that antiperspirant is lessening the life of your shirts. Then again, most people go through their clothes faster than me. I have shirts old enough to drive, but they don't have pit stains.

Also, sweating is important for body-temp regulation and to block that up just means you're probably running hotter and you're sweating disproportionately more elsewhere (ie taking longer to cool down and thus sweating more overall, but not in your pits). I ain't a sweat scientist, but that's my thought on that.

edit: Also gel sticks are horrible in my opinion, like putting slime in there. I use AXE deodorant sticks - they used to be white/dry, but now they are more of a gel-like color, but aren't like the sticks I've used in the past that oozed out of slots and you smeared on.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Antiperspirant is awful for you. Between the aluminum worries and the fact that ALL you're doing is closing pores and forcing your body to get hotter and find other ways to sweat and cool, nah. Switching to a simple deodorant (Herban Cowboy Unscented) was a wonderful switch.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Antiperspirant discolors your shirts. I like Native, though my dermatologist and a friend who is a doctor recommend stuff with charcoal.

Sevacro

Oct 4, 2019
By antiperspirant you mean the stick? How can you use that, it always leaves residue on my shirts that with time becomes hard.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Are there not stick versions of both deodorant and antiperspirant? I'm confused by some of the responses. I've always used stick deodorant and there's been sticks of antiperspirant right next to it in stores.

I always have used deodorant since I assume antiperspirant actually tries to reduce sweating, which seems weird? I just need a some that smells sort of pleasant.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Can you provide sources on this?

Studies were ongoing when my dad passed away of bladder cancer, it was in the suspected increasing factors in the sheet about the disease (along with tobacco, arsenic, inks, and others).

In Europe there was a wave of limiting their use, some even trying to ban them. "No aluminum salts" became a sales pitch, though some of those transitioned to natural aluminum sulfates rather than processed aluminum salts (usually hidden behind terms like "natural Alun" and thingslike that).

I don't have time to gather papers ofthe time, though here are 2 links, first to be taken with the pinch of salt required, second for the ban

https://www./health/article-4484782/Switzerland-seeks-BAN-deodorants-aluminium-salts.html

(edit: the mail is a forbidden source, can be found easily in google)

Life kills anyway, there's no psychosis to be had, however i prefer not to apply chemicals for comfort, since obviously i have risk of cancer in my direct family.
My thesis director always said: nothing is good or bad, only dose matters.

Last edited:

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Shave your armpits with an electric trimmer, particularly if you live in a hot climate. As to your question, I prefer deodorant.
If you shave your armpits the sweat just rolls right down. If you sweat more than zero then this will just make you uncomfortably slick all the way down your ribcage

To answer OP's question, it does not matter. I use an antiperspirant but I still sweat. I have learned to live with this

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
regardless, still get sweat spots on the shirt. Wear a jacket to cover the spots. Jacket makes me sweat more. The cycle continues.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
But the thing that discolors shirts is the aluminum (the thing that makes it antiperspirant), so I'm gonna need to see some receipts.

I use Dove Men+Care Antiperspirant Deodorant, Stain Defense Clean and it hasn't ruined any of my white shirt like previous antiperspirants I've used. My receipt is me saying it works for whatever that is worth.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
from what i know, you are SUPPOSED to sweat, so any thing impeding your body of functioning the way it should, is dangerous.

idk about causing cancer tho.
I dont know anything about cancer but I have heard this.

Ultimately the less chemicals the better

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Peeled beetroots do a surprisingly good job in absorbing most of the foul-smelling toxins our bodies produces and citrus halves are great for supressing the sweat glands, plus it smells real good.