• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
il_570xN.1374376080_h3ne.jpg

Some context: I live in a small city in Southeastern Georgia. I've seen MAGA hats on a near daily basis for the past 2 years or more.

Anytime I've ever come across a parody MAGA hat, I feel like the person wearing said hat has zero self awareness, and has not considered the optics. Anyone who supports MAGA will see your red hat, white font, and feel validated and emboldened in their viewpoints. They will feel a sense of pride and unity through you. "One us us", if you will. They might not ever approach you, read your hat carefully or find that you have a difference of opinion from them.

That is why, in my opinion, parody MAGA hats are akin to taking a Swastika and trying to repurpose it. You only strengthen Donald Trump's message by wearing one. If you're imitating Donald Trump's most widespread and famed piece of campaign merch, you're not helping anyone who stands against him.

The red hat, white font is a symbol of nationalism, intolerance, and racism. It should not be imitated, no matter what the message becomes.

What do you think?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Don't. They're all bad. Not because of the message, but because it stresses me out trying to squint and read the text on a goddamn hat.

Deleted member 13364

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very cool to have everyone more than 5 metres away from you think you're a Trump supporter so you can wear a hilarious parody hat.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They have no place.

It's like trying to "reclaim" the swastika by using one that predates the Nazis and insisting that no one has any right to be upset because the spiral goes the other way.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't wear one. I was gifted a shirt that says "MAKE AMERICA THINK AGAIN" but am afraid to wear it in public in case it pisses someone off without them reading the entire thing.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the last thing i want people doing is looking as my ugly head

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the kind of joke honestly, sometimes it works (like that tom morello hat) and others it feels edgy for the sake of it

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
At this point I see a MAGA style red hat and automatically think "racist piece of shit" and I probably wouldn't even bother checking to make sure what the hat said seeing as MAGA hats are already so prevalent. Not gonna waste time checking to see who is making a joke and who is a waste of oxygen.

Nox Potens

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dont like them at all. Anytime I see any red hats anymore, I immediately judge the person wearing it rather harshly. Whether it is a MAGA hat or not.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I saw a portly gentle man with a one piece tshirt and a red hat that said Make Anime Great Again in a Best Buy's not to long ago. Then realized it was my reflection in a fridge and I cried....

this is a joke

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only works if they're not red.

This right here. If it's red, 90% of people will skip the text and just assume you're a MAGA drone.
Also there's no point doing it if it's not a direct slam on Trump. Anything else, to me at least, is a tacit endorsement.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
MAGA parody hats are basically saying you don't care. You're deliberately wearing something to make people have a double-take because they think you support his views, it's not a joke.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I dont even think it should reference MAGA as a parody. A red hat with "You Stupid Motherfucks" seems more fitting to get the message across

Oct 25, 2017
If I recall correctly Everything Is Terrible released a limited run "Make Everything Terrible Again" hat. I found the idea pretty funny, but yeah, I'd have been remiss to actually buy and wear it in public. Too close for comfort. People are just going to read the iconography of it, not the parody text.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
At this point I see a MAGA style red hat and automatically think "racist piece of shit" and I probably wouldn't even bother checking to make sure what the hat said seeing as MAGA hats are already so prevalent. Not gonna waste time checking to see who is making a joke and who is a waste of oxygen.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I see the red hat and think, "Oh no." But if I look closely and see that it's saying something else, I just shrug it off. I don't hate it, but I really don't find any sort of humor to it either.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'd say the MAGA hat is white supremacist regalia and wearing it is an implicit act of aggression designed specifically to make other people uncomfortable. The response people have to the MAGA hat can be really strong and upsetting. It can be enough to make you leave a restaurant or vacate a premises. I would not encourage someone from where I live to wear a parody hat because it places undue stress on people around them for a payoff most people will not find satisfying. I have a negative response to red hats in general now. People would not appreciate the joke.

But I live in New England where a MAGA hat is a rare sight. I haven't seen one in over a year. Maybe people are desensitized elsewhere and the hat would be received differently. I can ultimately only speak from my experience in my environment. But I would say no. MAGA hats aren't funny.

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they've never been funny and the only people who wear them also would readily wear the real thing

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not trying to get close enough to someone wearing a red hat with white text to be able to read it. So if your wearing one I'm going to think you are a cult member.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Parody MAGA hats are too easily mistaken for the real thing from a distance, and I'm not going to drop everything just to walk over to you and confirm you're not a racist asshole instead of just a regular asshole.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
(deleted photo of Charlie Chaplin in a fake Nazi uniform to save scroll space)

There's a bunch of stuff you can dig into when it comes to Charlie Chaplin wearing a fake Nazi uniform, but the biggest takeaway from him doing it is that it had a clarity of purpose that good satire requires (just like the fake Nazi uniforms in The Producers). If you can do the same thing with a MAGA hat, sure (the Tom Morello photo is a good example of that, given the context of RATM), but you can't wear it "just to be funny".

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't seen a single MAGA parody hat that's actually funny, and I'm already stressed enough as it is having to check exits every time I see someone wearing a red hat given that my city's baseball team's main color is red.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen a single MAGA parody hat that's actually funny, and I'm already stressed enough as it is having to check exits every time I see someone wearing a red hat given that my city's baseball team's main color is red.

Seriously, my heart skips a beat every time I see a Phillies cap.

I've only seen the actual hat twice in the wild, and barely restrained myself in both cases.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I've been called out for someone misreading a shirt up close, so I wouldn't want to be seen with a hat even remotely close to MAGA since it can be easily recognized and misidentified from a distance. I also don't want to propagate the "meme" and just want it to disappear with the administration.

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
I won't even wear a red hat anymore because people behind me will think I'm a trump supporter

Jul 20, 2018
Nah cause most people will think it's a MAGA hat. My kids got a red Mario baseball cap they all share and I get nervous with them wearing even that.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
They're very outdated. Trump parodies were funny in 2015 before it looked like he'd even have a shot at the nomination but they're exhausting now. Nothing about Trump is funny anymore and this especially does not make you clever for wearing it. All it is now is an outdated attention grab with the initial scare factor of "this guy looks like a bigoted asshole"

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
It consistently makes me do a double take to read what's written, not really a fan myself. But people are free to express themselves however they wish.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Don't like it. Making a parody only makes the original appear more iconic than it should. It just basic red hat with fuking ugly text.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
7dxpHt4.png

I think it can work.
Timing and context matters a lot. That wasn't even a day into the new presidency. The more time passes, the more news of atrocities originating from this White House gets out, the faster and stronger the negative response to the badge of the white supremacist enabling it all gets, and the less effective an ironically worn parody red hat becomes.