• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
"Here"

Is usually my answer to this question. I work mostly with immigrants and I mostly get this question from them. I assume they're asking if I also moved here from somewhere else, so I answer that no, I was born and raised in this area.

If I was asked this while traveling, I would answer "Saskatchewan" if I was traveling within Canada or just "western Canada" if I was traveling abroad. I wouldn't answer with the name of a city, neither the one I was born in nor the one I currently live in, because nobody cares what city you're from unless it's a huge, world-famous metropolis like New York or LA.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
When my parents were married they lived in Huntington Beach, CA so that's where is say I'm from. Even though I only lived in Orange County for 1/3 of my life.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dad is adopted and my moms family ages back to greece we believe my father has asian qualities like his skin and eyes so i am truly like solid snake kinda 👀 part asian part white part greece 😱 so i just tell people i am a white asian greeceguy 🤷‍♂️ i am born in the hague btw and from the netherlands.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I don't even know anymore; I've lived so many places. I guess Los Angeles because I lived there the longest and most of my adulthood (so far) was there.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
I say Texas since I've been here since 5 years old. If they really push, "you don't have an accent", etc I will let them know I was born in South Dakota.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Chicago, though people can usually tell by the scent of Portillo's beef on my breath and my weird affinity for driving like a lunatic in heavily populated areas.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I've lived in Japan for 10 years, but I still say Toronto. I tell people that I live in Japan when they say my Japanese is good (which is every Japanese person I talk to, because they heard three words of Japanese), but in my heart, Osaka is my home. Wouldn't rather live anywhere else.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I say Montreal, I grew up in its suburbs as a kid and have been living in the city for a good decade and half.

Yeah, I was born in a different country and very pretty of it but I only lived there during my first infant year.

I have no problem when people want to know what my ethnic background is, it's a common thing to ask when meeting new people in a city that is diverse.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Worcester to people in MA, MA to other states in New England, New England to anyone else may add New England in the states to a non American.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Birmingham, England.

It's where I was born, It's where I live and hopefully It's where I DON'T fucking die. Fuck this place. It's shit. Great curries though.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Depends on their proximity to where I'm from. If they're from Pennsylvania or Ohio I can usually name the place, at least the county. Other Americans I'll just say Western PA, non-Americans just Pennsylvania.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Depends if I'm talking to someone who's not from my country: I'll then state my own country and that's it.
If I'm talking to someone who has the same nationality as me, then it'll depend from the context of the question? For example, I meet that person online, I'll answer by giving the town I currently live in. I meet that person IRL and we both know we live in the same town: I'll give the town where I was born as an answer. It's related to context to me.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I just say San Diego. Most people heard of it. A lot go, oh, I love San Diego! I went there on a vacation blah blah! Then they won't shut up.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I lived in 4 countries by the time I was 14 so I say, "From a few places but originally from" - and where I was born.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on who asks.

If it's someone from the city I'm currently living in I'd say my birthplace and where I grew up (two different cities).

If it's someone in another city, I'll tell that person the place I currently live.

If it's an international or if I'm abroad myself, I usually answer with the country I come from.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
From within my province, I say my hometown (+sometimes depending on the conversation adding my parents/family being from Newfoundland)

Outside my province (including overseas) I say Toronto

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Depends on who is asking and what the context is. I'm half Bolivian, half Basque, born in the former, and lived basically half my life in each in separate periods so it makes it complicated.

I was born in one, but my first memories are in the other. I spent my childhood in one, and my teenage years in the other.

So in truth I usually answer whatever will raise less questions, so it depends on where and with who I am at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.