• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's the longest you've spent to beat a game this year?

• 1 to 5 hours

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • 5 to 10 hours

Votes: 4 0.4%
  • 10 to 20 hours

Votes: 25 2.3%
  • 20 to 40 hours

Votes: 117 10.7%
  • 40 to 60 hours

Votes: 190 17.4%
  • 60 to 80 hours

Votes: 193 17.7%
  • 100+ hours

Votes: 559 51.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
It took me 105 hours to finish Refrain earlier this year (I got the plat but reaching the good ending means having the plat so it's not a big deal), so I don't know if I really want the sequel to be longer. Is the game as good as the first one?

If I list all the games that took me more than 100h this year:

- Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki III : 130h
-Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk: 105h
-Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire + All DLC: 125h
-Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki : 110h
-Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition: 115 h

My Ao no Kiseki playthrough was 98h (so almost 100h again), and I'm sure that when I finish Sen IV next year (finished act 1 and waiting for the localization patch) it'll be more than 110h too. And yeah I'll play P5R some time next year too.

So far I'm liking it more than Refrain, even, so I'd definitely say it's worth playing. I'll see how I feel by the end.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
75+ hours into Animal Crossing, Valhalla took 50 hours and Trails of Cold Steel III was at least that.

Put about 60 hours into Persona 5 but just gave up. There's long games that keep you interested and there's long games that are a slog.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
80ish hours in Witcher 3. I finally got around to beating that game after trying 3 separate times to start it.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
So far I'm liking it more than Refrain, even, so I'd definitely say it's worth playing. I'll see how I feel by the end.
Amazing then, the only big complaint I have about Refrain is that the combat system feels kind of "automated" during the last hours, having a good squad is a lot of work and thought but the fights are kind of simple. The last hours were mostly reused content but it was not a big deal as most of the dungeons were rather quick the 2nd time, so I hope that a longer sequel means more unique content and no lots of re-use.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
All the posts about AC Vallhalla being that long make me wonder how deep or engaging the game is, to me 100h sounds a lot for an action game with some simple RPG mechanics. Is the main quest that long or are you talking about completing the entire map?

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I finished this out of sheer perseverance and I don't know how I did it. I really, really enjoyed 40-50 hours of this game and then I figured I might as well get to the end and it carried on for another, largely joyless 30-40 hours.

It's my own fault for not bailing, but can't escape the sense that they need to either slim these games down or make the combat more fun. Ideally both
My thoughts exactly. Don't like leaving unfinished business behind and really enjoyed the first 50 hours... But it's just too much of the same thing over and over and over.

RedNine

Sep 7, 2020
Funny you open the thread with Galleria, as that was also the longest game I've played this year.

Almost 70 hours to beat the main game, and 90 hours to get the true end, easily one of the longest JRPGs I've ever played. For comparison, Refrain took me around 45 hours to beat the main game and 55 hours to get the postgame ending.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really play long games so probably 30 hours on Dark Souls 3.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I've probably put more hours into other games this year (and certainly in the past, where 100+ hours games were more palatable to me) but The Last of Us 2 felt the longest.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Persona 5 Royal took me like 130 hours, it was basically my whole summer.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Nioh 2. Took me about 200 hours to reach the final boss on New Game. It should be noted that this includes a ton of voluntary grinding and farming; it could have been done in 1/5 of the time.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
FF7 Remake - 29 hours. I'm a critical path player and 30+ tends to turn me off. For what it's worth I thought FF7R would've been a better game if it cut 7-10 hours of filler.

Seriously impressed at people who can spend 100+ hours on a single game. I just...lose interest or feel like I'm sacrificing other games I'd rather play.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I played Dragon Quest XI for the first time and it took me about 90 hours. Did many side activities but didn't 100% it. Haven't had time for many big RPGs apart from that.

If talking games from 2020 then it's probably Ghost of Tsushima. Did all the trophies and I'm guessing it took 40+ hours.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I spent over 200 hours on Breath of the wild this year, minus the 30ish hours I played back during the Switch launch.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
I'm about 80 hours into yet another Skyrim playthrough that will end up well past 150+ hours when I'm done. I'm also currently about 70 hours into Valhalla, not sure how much is left in that one though.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've dropped well over 200 hours into Final Fantasy XIV this year. All of that was to finish the main quests for both A Realm Reborn and Heavensward (I'm in 3.4 content now). Still dumping time into it in hopes of being caught up when the trailer for 6.0 drops early next year.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
It was Skyrim and all DLC with the three big mods, Falskaar and Beyond Skyrim Bruma and Reach. Took me easily 120 hours.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
58 hours

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky First Chapter (Steam/PC): 58 hours
Assassin's Creed III (Steam/PC): 41 hours
The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask 3D (3DS): 31 hours
Red Dead Redemption GOTY (PS3): 30 hours
Tales of Innocence (NDS): 27 hours
Final Fantasy (iOS): 20 hours
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Steam/PC): 20 hours
Tales of the World Radiant Mythology (PSP): 20 hours
Sly 3 Honor Among Thieves (PS3): 18 hours
Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded (DS): 18 hours
Ratchet and Clank All 4 One (PS3): 16 hours
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (3DS): 15 hours
Devil May Cry 3 Dante's Awakening Special Edition (PS4): 15 hours
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (3DS): 14 hours
Gears of War Ultimate Edition (XGP): 12 hours
Gears of War 4 (XGP): 11 hours
Costume Quest (PC): 10 hours
Devil May Cry 2 (PS4): 9 hours
Sonic Forces (PC): 6 hours
Devil May Cry 1 (PS4): 6 hours
Tekken 2 (PS1): 4 hours
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Xbox Game Pass PC): 3 hours
A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV (PS4): 2 Hours
ACA NEOGEO Metal Slug X (Xbox Game Pass PC): 1 Hour

Small Red Boy

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 9, 2019
Around 70-80 hours to Persona 4 Golden. Which is surprising because last time I played a game this long it took me a lot more time in terms of months not hours (namely Persona 3 FES or Dark Souls 1 which I am still finishing after 2 years, according to my steam achievements).

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
The "game" isn't long per se, but I've put 45 hrs into Satisfactory which is far and away the most of any game this year for me.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Uh, I wanted to beat Witcher 3 until I realized it's near-endless and I gave up somewhere in Skellige. I'm one of those people who can't ignore side quests and what not so I spent a perverse amount of time in Velen thinking that was basically the majority of the game :/

By the time I slogged my way through the endless boredom that was Novigrad, I was coasting on fumes when reaching Skellige. I love the atmosphere in it but holy jesus are open world games not for me.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I started playing the Baldur's Gate collection on Switch last year that I think carried into the beginning of this year. If that counts, between BG 1 & 2 combined it was around 200+ hours.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is the other which I spent maybe 100-120 hours on.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
After struggling to play anything for more than 20–30 minutes for most of the year, I recently ended up spending 24 hours with Half-Life: Alyx over the course of about a week and a half.
That rekindled my desire to play games again (I find gaming difficult to get into when stressed out) and I've since put a decent amount of time into other games that I picked up in the Steam sale, like Death Stranding and Disco Elysium.
If you have a gaming PC and the means to buy a VR headset - particularly the Quest 2 since it's wireless - I highly recommend it.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Persona 5 Royal. Took me 103 hours to be exact.
Really made that lockdown period my country had a lot more pleasant though, very thankful that it came out when it did.

Kapote

Jul 3, 2019
Divinity: Original Sin 2 ~ 170h
Assassins Creed Odyssey ~ 130h
Animal Crossing New Horizons ~ 130h

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 Royal.

For the past 3 of 4 years, my most played game released that year has been a JRPG
2020: Persona 5 Royal - 171h
2018: tie between Ni No Kuni II and Dragon Quest XI - 91h each (and I didn't even do the Post Game/True Ending for DQXI)
2017: Persona 5 - lol

My 3 most played games on Steam are JRPGs. Also I just found out my top 10 most played games on Steam are Japanese games and the only one for which you can't argue at all about being some kind of RPG is Puyo Puyo Tetris.

1. Dragon Quest XI
  2. Tokyo Xanadu
  3. Tales of Berseria
  4. Monster Hunter World (not even done with the base content)
  5. Yakuza 0 (also not even done with this one and there's the whole rest of the franchise waiting)
  6. Dark Souls III
  7. Puyo Puyo Tetris
  8. Tales of Zestiria
  9. Final Fantasy VII
  10. Final Fantasy XV (haven't done DLC yet)

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
LOGistICAL 3: Earth - 80 hours

The map covers the entire globe and I've only uncovered like 1% of it, completing most of NZ and just dipping my toes into AU and US, lol.

Aug 23, 2018
Currently have almost 90 hours in Valhalla with at least 3 alliances left. Given the amount of days and hours left in the year I'm not even sure I'll beat it. But whenever I do it'll be well over 100 hours

Previously I have spent 70 hours on Yakuza 0, still need to finish that