• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's the longest you've spent to beat a game this year?

• 1 to 5 hours

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • 5 to 10 hours

Votes: 4 0.4%
  • 10 to 20 hours

Votes: 25 2.3%
  • 20 to 40 hours

Votes: 117 10.7%
  • 40 to 60 hours

Votes: 190 17.4%
  • 60 to 80 hours

Votes: 193 17.7%
  • 100+ hours

Votes: 559 51.3%

• Total voters

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
My most played games this year were Animal Crossing: New Horizons (400+) and Dead by Daylight (300+, I think?), but neither is a game with a narrative, so I won't count them. I think I got so many hours in both, because I had 10+ irl friends playing both with me during a year where I could hardly safely socialize. I've never put this many hours into games in a year in my life. The longest game you can traditionally "beat" that I played many hours of was probably Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity at 55 hours. Hasn't been much of a big single player game year for me. I mostly beat lots of shmups, arcade games, rhythm games, and short indie games (Sayonara Wild Hearts, A Short Hike, Telling Lies, If Found..., etc.).

Next year, I have a number of long games I'd like to beat, but I'll probably fail.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I'm pretty sure I've wasted more than 100 hours on Animal Crossing during the lockdowns alone.

For games with a clearly defined ending, probably Cyberpunk or Ghosts of Tsushima, i did around 35 to 40 hours on GoT and am already at 32 hours with CP.

Lilo_D

Oct 29, 2017
850h+ of Animal Crossing, this game saved my life during the most difficult time of this pandemic

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
I was in the 20-40 hour range with Revelations Persona, but then I remembered that I also beat Persona 4 this year. That was probably 45 hours. Currently working on Final Fantasy IX, so we'll see if I end up spending more than that on a game before the end of the year.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Huh, are you pushing like 60+ hours already o.O? Refrain was not a short game (and having gone through it on Vita where it had a shiton of slowdown / forget if the fast-forward was patched in yet, felt longer).

Uuuurgh, I'm this close to just impulse buying it.

EDIT: Also iunno, Shadow Hearts: Covenant + all the side content at like 50h might be the longest I've gone through this year since FFXIV doesn't count and Brigandine was a bunch of different runs (but is probably the longest I've spent in a game this year).

Like I said, I'll be making a thread probably sometime later this week/next week - it's very good, so feel free to import it. For reference, my time is so far on par with a streamer that finished the postgame @ 142 hours.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I've played TLOU2 twice, back to back. Does that count? Anyway, I put a lot of hours into this long, amazing game, and loved every second of it.

Other than that - WoW, for sure.

Also, spent more than 40 hours in FFVII but haven't finished it.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I was not expecting it but my most played is Infinipicross 2.0 at 150 hours...I've played a lot of other games this year because COVID and work from home and not enough to do but I was surprised at the number of hours I put into a like $5.00 puzzle game...

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Put 70 hours into FF XIV but it's only been 3 weeks since I started playing 😂 It's a surprisingly good single player game.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
41 hours of Wasteland 2 I think.

Unless 141 hours of Monster Hunter counts.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
It was Cold Steel III at around 100 hrs.

I might have spent more time in Animal Crossing tbh, but that's 'infinite' so not counting it.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
Trails of Cold Steel III, around 90 hours. Loved it, but really hoping the next arcs are shorter. I finished the entire Sky trilogy in almost the same time.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
o.O?

That's like 125 hours if you don't do any side stuff.

Almost is a little bit of hyperbole, but it was around 120 hours, yeah. 40h for the first, 50h for the second and 30h for the third. With a lot of turbo mode, but i also used it in Cold Steel, so...

edit: and regarding side stuff, i dont do everything, but i did a fair amount of sidequests in all trails games

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Three of the four longest games I played this year I didn't beat: Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and Baldur's Gate 2. The longest game I beat this year (that I remember) was Baldur's Gate at 40-60 hours.

Edit: And Ring Fit of course, fell off in August but that's still up there.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It will probably be Yakuza Like a Dragon, I'm at 40 hours now and I'll probably need at least 30 more to finish it.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Over 130 hours in Animal Crossing, but the longest game to beat was Dragon Quest XI. Reached the True Ending after ~65 hours, and that's because I rushed the post-game.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
I spent over 350 on NHL 20 and over 180 on Genshin but those aren't games you beat. Otherwise DQXI and Xenoblade: DE took about 100 hours and P5R took around 110.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
TLoU P2. That shit dragged on and on and on and on and on.

When I got to
the farm
the first time, I thought "yay this is it, we're at the end", but no sure enough it carried on even longer, even though it should have ended there.

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
Longest played is Animal Crossing almost 200 hours.
Longest to beat was Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at 70. Took about half the year to beat it.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
The longest single-player games I've beaten were probably 100%-ing the Pokémon DLC (about 60 hours) or Age of Calamity (28 hours), but I have played a ton of multiplayer games this year:
Black Ops 3 (220 hours this year)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (150 hours this year)
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (95 hours this year)
Civilization V (35 hours this month)

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Longest of the year from what I recall
  • Animal Crossing: 465+ hours
  • Dead By Daylight: ~130 hours
  • Xenoblade Chronicles DE: 95+ hours
  • Genshin Impact: 90 hours
  • Persona 5 Royale: 89 hours
  • The Witcher 3: 80 hours. (prob like..5 of those are afk)
There's probably another 5 or so in the 40-60 range
lots o' long games this year....quarantine hit hard lol

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I played three single player games for more than 80 hours this year. Persona 5 Royal, Yakuza Like a Dragon, and Crusader Kings 3.

I also played a bunch of multiplayer MW Borderlands and GTA V being huge time sinks for me and my friends.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Excluding WoW, maybe...AC Valhalla? At "too damn long", it has a long playtime, even if I enjoyed it. At least until I got Demons Souls, ofc.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
World of Warcraft..... This ride never ends, not sure I want to look how much time though.

vgp

Oct 31, 2017
Thronebreaker 40+ hours
Currently playing TLOU2 with already 30hours so this could change.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from World of Warcraft, which is by far #1 pretty much ever year, I haven't played anything that was super long. Bought Persona 5 Royal and Xenoblade Chronicles DE, but I doubt I'll get to them until next year.

I guess right now it would be FF VII Remake at like 43 hours, though with Christmas vacation coming up Cyberpunk may overtake that.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Assassin Creed Valhalla took me about 125 hours, but I couldn't access the final battle because one of the NPCs got frozen in a field somewhere.

Oct 27, 2017
I finally Platinumed The Binding of Isaac, but I think that most of the hundreds of hours I spent on that game were clocked over several years. I don't think I played that much this year.

So it's probably Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag with 81 hours. The multiplayer section of the game took a couple dozen hours. The Ezio Collection is at 116 hours clocked, but that's across 3 games.