• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's the longest you've spent to beat a game this year?

• 1 to 5 hours

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • 5 to 10 hours

Votes: 4 0.4%
  • 10 to 20 hours

Votes: 25 2.3%
  • 20 to 40 hours

Votes: 117 10.7%
  • 40 to 60 hours

Votes: 190 17.4%
  • 60 to 80 hours

Votes: 193 17.7%
  • 100+ hours

Votes: 559 51.3%

• Total voters

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've been going through Labyrinth of Galleria recently, and I've been surprised to see just how much longer the game is compared to the previous title in the series, Labyrinth of Refrain. I want to make a thread about *that* game once I'm just a bit further in, but it got me thinking about the games I play, and how long they take to finish - naturally, writing for RPG Site, I'd guess that the types of games that I play probably skew a bit longer than most. So... what's the longest game *you've* finished this year, Era? Only counting games with a definitive ending, of course.

Not counting my 900+ hours and counting in FFXIV, the longest one I played this year was The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV, clocking in at 108 hours. How 'bout you?

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Persona 5 Royal or Trails of Cold Steel 4. Both 120ish hours total. I almost never spend that much time on any game.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Ignoring multiplayer games like Overwatch and Valorant, which are my most played, the longest game I've played through this year is Pokemon Shield, which took me like 35 hours.

Laurentius

Apr 18, 2018
Poll's missing the 80-100 hour choice, so I just picked 100+. I played Yakuza 5 for the first time, which ended up being about 90 hours (I did a lot of side content).

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Animal Crossing: New Horizons. 220 hours logged according to my Nintendo activity log, however accurate that may be.

Next up would be Ghost of Tsushima at 54 hours played, according to my PS5 activity log. I didn't know how much I played that game until the PS5 came out, all I knew was that I wanted and got the Platinum trophy. I liked many other games that I played more than I liked Ghost of Tsushima but GoT was really good IMO.

Then after that, Spider-Man: Remastered, which I Platinumed AND got 100% completion on all 3 of the DLCs that it came with, sine I had never played the DLCs on the PS4 version of the game. Racked up a grand total of about 40 hours to do all of that — the Platinum wasc a repeat since I did it on the PS4 as well, and that certainly expedited things.

Oct 28, 2017
I just accepted that GTA 4 will never run properly so I finally decided to go through the whole thing. I'm pretty close to the end of the main game with Niko at ~47 hours of playtime.
Second longest would be Shadow of the Tomb Raider with ~44 hours.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's gotta be FFVIIR, took me just over 40h the first playthrough. But recently started playing Cyberpunk and if I actuy decide to not return the game I can see it taking much longer for me to beat.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Animal Crossing is easily above 100+ but I don't know if it really counts.

Hades is clocked 60+
Hollow Knight 50+
Crosscode at 25 now, which is pretty much the same as Origami King took.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Hundreds of hours in Genshin Impact. Exploring the two nations that are currently in the game took ages and it was a great time. It's insane how much content the game has to offer for being F2P. Just imagine how big it will be once all 7 nations are in. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm at 500+ hours. I play it every day and still have fun, with new sizable content to come soon.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I jumped back to Destiny 2 this year (after 2 year hiatus) and spend another 500+ hours in it...

As for games with definite ending....Pillars Of Eternity 2 at 75 hours.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It took me a little over 60 hours to finish Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2, that was the longest by a little bit. The game isn't that long but I'm not a native Japanese reader so it took me a while to parse everything.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's either Euro Truck Simulator 2 or Forza Horizon 4. Both clocked around 100hrs this year.
But that's just ongoing games.
I think completed games took around 40-45 hours max.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
RDR2 took me about 120 hours. Persona 3 FES was my next longest game at 100.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100+ of my 400 hours in Total Warhammer 2 probably came from this year at least.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I started FF14 this year, played all the way through the main storyline and did nearly every Normal duty (dungeon/boss/raid) in the game at least once. Essentially I treated it like a story-driven single player game and didn't touch much of the other content. Overall it took me 650 hours.

I guess you can actually think of FF14 as series of 4 games (A Realm Reborn, Heavensward, Stormblood, and Shadowbringers), so on average that was more than 100 hours per game.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warzone I've probably spent more than 100 hours on it and Iceborne added like an extra 80 hours total time on World looking at steam.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I've been going through Labyrinth of Galleria recently, and I've been surprised to see just how much longer the game is compared to the previous title in the series, Labyrinth of Refrain. I want to make a thread about *that* game once I'm just a bit further in
Huh, are you pushing like 60+ hours already o.O? Refrain was not a short game (and having gone through it on Vita where it had a shiton of slowdown / forget if the fast-forward was patched in yet, felt longer).

Uuuurgh, I'm this close to just impulse buying it.

EDIT: Also iunno, Shadow Hearts: Covenant + all the side content at like 50h might be the longest I've gone through this year since FFXIV doesn't count and Brigandine was a bunch of different runs (but is probably the longest I've spent in a game this year).

Last edited:

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
If an MMO doesn't count, then Persona 5 Royal at 121 hours for the Platinum.

Otherwise, FFXIV at 400+ hours and counting (I've put an unhealthy amount of time into this game since I started playing it in August). I spent a ton of my first three months getting as much value out of "Road to Level 70" buff as much as possible, and got 13 jobs to Lvl 70, and am finally almost at Shadowbringers.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I finished The Witcher 3 this year, and wow that was a long journey. You notice just how long when the story took you back places you've been before.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i played shit tons of games this year to completion, but nothing outrageously long, im saving persona 5 for next year

so probably ff10
took me ~60 hours

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
60 hoursish when I beat FFVII earlier this year. If I manage to beat Valhalla this year, it's going to be that at over 100 hours.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Just passed the 30h mark for Romancing SaGa sfc. Not loving my time with it. I mean, it was fine up to a point, but now it's just grind, grind, grind.

Haven't really played that much this year. You'd think with the pandemic it would be the opposite, but no.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
With the pandemic, I've had more game time than usual and finished multiple 100+ hour games this year: Judgement (around 200 hours) and days gone (around 150 so far and still playing to platinum) as well as spending over 500 hours creating in Dreams.