• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
It's a bit repetitive, but it's a great game. If you're willing to overlook some issues with pacing and story, and usually like games with good turn based combat, I'd recommend it to you (plus, it looks and sounds amazing). Definitely one of my personal favourites of the year.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone who has played a lot and exploited these systems:

What is the main benefit to exploring secondary classes? I've unlocked a few, and I've switched some classes around for some of my characters, but I'm not sure if I'm seeing any major benefits yet or what I'm supposed to be exploiting. For example, I turned Ophelia into an apothecary, and I guess it's cool that she can use an axe now, but what else?

Are you looking mainly to stack different job passive skills, or do certain classes give significant stat buffs to certain characters?

Can you give me an example of a non spoilery combo you found useful?

honestly the best part about the job system is that there's no wrong way to approach it and the game even expects you to switch things up because the passive skills that you unlock for the secondary jobs can be used whether you have that job equipped or not

but in terms of how you should go about choosing which character and which job I usually go one of two routes, buff the stats that the character is already strong with or make a more well rounded character by expanding the weapons they can use for easier breaking

or you can just equip the job that gives you the best sprite like dancer therion

krg

Oct 27, 2017
this is like a Ni No Kuni 2 kind of thing? most people seem really disappointed..

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Would this appeal to someone who greatly prefers FFV to FFVI?

I didn't really care for the characters in VI and found the gameplay inferior to the more systems driven approach in V.

Unequivocally yes. While it shares some aesthetics with VI, it has a job system not dissimilar to V, and greatly rewards people exploring and finding synergy within that job system — as well as creative use of its original Break/Boost systems.

It's essentially a JRPG's take on an open-world where the player has complete agency over what they do, where they go, what they acquire, and when.

Goddamn it. Why is it not on sale in the NA shop too. :(

If it isn't going on sale in the U.S. eShop, presumably you can change your region.

Someone who has played a lot and exploited these systems:

What is the main benefit to exploring secondary classes? I've unlocked a few, and I've switched some classes around for some of my characters, but I'm not sure if I'm seeing any major benefits yet or what I'm supposed to be exploiting. For example, I turned Ophelia into an apothecary, and I guess it's cool that she can use an axe now, but what else?

Are you looking mainly to stack different job passive skills, or do certain classes give significant stat buffs to certain characters?

Can you give me an example of a non spoilery combo you found useful?

The long-term goal of using the sub-job system is to learn passive skills, which your characters can equip four of regardless of their current jobs (e.g. you can learn a Scholar's passives on Primrose, then change her to a Thief and still equip those Scholar passives).

Short-term benefit of changing your characters' class combinations would be weapon/magic type coverage for breaking, access to a certain job's active skillset, etc.

As you fully unlock each class' passive abilities, stay on the lookout for ones that would benefit other characters. A common and extremely powerful example is the Cleric's final passive, Saving Grace, which allows that character to be overhealed beyond their total HP. That's potent on any and every character, so every character has a reason to spend JP in the Cleric job.

The Warrior's final passive, Surpassing Power, is another crucial one for endgame builds, because it changes a character's damage cap from 9,999 to 99,999.

As for job combinations for each character, well, there's loads of viable builds. Without mentioning advanced jobs: Thief/Merchant for Therion makes him a useful SP battery and support debuffer for your team. Apothecary/Warrior makes Alfyn a meaty tank who can still use his Concoct to be a healer, too. Merchant/Cleric or Merchant/Scholar allows Tressa to offensively spend SP because she can Rest to regain SP (Therion can do the same thing with SP Thief).

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Loved it, the combat mechanics are suberb and the OST is wonderful really. Some stories are weak (Cyrus) but it's a great game overall.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
It's 40% off on the EU eShop. Don't think it's ever been on sale before, neither digital or physical here where I am.

The only thing that makes me reluctant is the difficulty. The boss in the cave in the demo was too hard for me, so I never finished the demo, but I liked everything before that boss.
The first boss might be something of a struggle, but the game evens out as you gain characters and can start playing harder with its mechanics. Because good usage of abilities is extremely beneficial, poor usage or when you just don't have a lot of characters/abilities can make fights a slog. You start out that way by default but the game is quick to hit its stride as you gather partners.

As to the game in general, here are my thoughts from the GotY thread:

Octopath Traveler

This is an interesting game: open-world RPG meets FF-ish JRPG complete with the focus on character narratives and a job-system (combined with clear influences from Atlus's battle systems).

It think it mostly works as such: the characters are varied and charming and tend to have an at least competent narrative reaching into a great narrative through thematic ambitions that sometimes land, sometimes don't entirely. The pacing also works because the wealth of content and the relative importance of weapon/armor values compared to level values makes it such that grinding is never really a thing unless you want to engage the content in a hard-headed way.

The battle system is also superb and incredibly engaging. It puts stacks on the enemies that you must cut through by exploiting weakness and makes your own offensive stacks develop automatically, which is an interesting Atlus inspired twist on the base of Bravely Default's combat.

The town gameplay, with the path actions, is interesting and well-utilized in organized side quests and just disorganized town activities, like stealing. It is, however, poorly utilized in story scenarios, which never really leave tutorial mode. This is the source of my main frustration with the game: the town scenario sequences are frustratingly non-interactive and cutscene laden. Games have been doing this content so much better since this content existed and Octopath itself does it better outside of the core scenarios! It made me want to get out of those sequences ASAP but they are also where most of the exposition and thus, with Octopath's conceit, story occurs.

Octopath is a very beautiful game, at which to look and to which to listen.

I would recommend it. It is a very unique game. It tries interesting things and succeeds overall I'd say. It might be a bit strange or not what you generally expect in a JRPG but it is a different voice worth hearing. (And you might well love it for how it does things differently! Many do!)

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's a great game, but one that needed a bigger, more interconnected story.

It's almost worth playing just for the soundtrack alone. The Octopath OST is fucking godly.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
skikwXR.gif

jZ3prxV.gif

fVekdz0.gif

jAavfLo.gif

It looks phenomenal in motion.
Look at the main focus of the game, the characters. Most of the time they're just motionless jpegs. Yeah the background looks good but it's ruined by the lazy minimal sprite work.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
It has a great battle system, but suffers from a few major issues:
-the characters feel completely disconnected from each other because of the story structure.
-characters have to be leveled up individually, which is a complete hassle with 8 characters.

I just lost interest like 30 hours in.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Aesthetically it is at the top, score is amazing, combat system is inspired and one of the best for any turn based JRPG but the dungeon design and lacking story beats hold it back from being a top tier game.

Top%Rattata

Nov 27, 2017
I'd say the things to be aware of are;
+ music is really great
+ great visual style, particularly in the snowy areas.
+ the battle mechanics are excellent but
- can get repetitive ~50 hours in, mainly because of some necessary grinding
- the 8 stories of the 8 characters are basically all seperate, although
+ a lot of the 'short stories' have great, touching moments that I enjoyed a lot. Stories are more small & personal, than grand.
- also, the 8 main characters don't interact with each other during their individual chapter

It's definitely a good, or even very good, game. It just has some unfortunate flaws that you have to be able to get past in order to fully enjoy it.

Interesting side note for anyone that's played the game: Go back and look at Octopath Traveler's initial reveal at the January Switch event 2017. Pause the video at exactly the moment when they show you the world map, and compare it to the actual game's map. I definitely get the impression that the developers had a bigger vision for the game that they weren't quite able to realise.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks great. Unfortunately it's really repetitive and grindy. Also the party member interactions are terrible.

There is literally zero need to grind during the main game at all. Levels are even statistically negligible compared to gear and build.

Party interactions could have been better, however, most people only saw like 20% of the party interactions in-game. In reality, every chapter has interactions between its protagonist and all 7 other travelers — but you have to rotate them into your party to get the notification. That's 168 in-chapter banters, and 6 banters between any two travelers, which isn't even counting the dozen or so post-CH4 tavern banters involving several travelers at once.

The mechanics of said interaction could have been handled much better in terms of plot cohesiveness and missability, but there's really quite a lot — with zero gaps in characters interacting, which very few other JRPGs can say for their parties.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Great battle system that I hope to see implemented elsewhere. Really enjoyed the job system/character customization too. The writing is... eh. I'll admit that some parts just had me skipping through to get on with it.

That said, it may be the best game I've played this year despite its flaws. (although, I do consider this to be a weak year for gaming)

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing it now. The job system is very good, the battle system is OK, but also kinda repetitive outside of the (very tough) bosses.

Everything else is kinda dull, if you have played more than 1 hour you have seen everything the game has to offer in terms of dungeon/traveling/towns. It's like 1/3 of a game.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the most formulaic, boring, rote messes of a game I've ever played.
But hey it looks and sounds pretty.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
It's fascinating how divisive this game is.

I'm only 5 hours in, but so far really enjoying. I appreciate that it's trying different things instead of simply being a 16 bit Final Fantasy clone.

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
I liked it for how it reminded me of playing RPGs in the SNES golden era. The music is great also.

However I dropped it. Repetitiveness of it all and poor stories just couldn't hold my interest. A shame really - the only thing that kept me going as long as I did was that I wanted to see how the next boss looked like in-fight.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It has a formula, each of the 8 character chapters follow the same beat, some people will complain that this turned them off. And if you're really into one story, it's a bummer that the story ends far too quickly as it is only 1/8th of the story.

All that said, it has a great visual style, a great soundtrack and a great battle system.
There's a great playlist on spotify of all the covers for the Octopath and I just realized it's been a long time a JRPG has had so many memorable melodies and leitmotifs. The OST is amazing.

It's a great entry and I hope we see a sequel on Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
I really loved it. It has some of the most memorable music of the generation, a thought provoking battle system, and a nicely told story.

I suggest Cyrus as an early character. His ability to provide information on enemy weaknesses really helps with the perceived difficulty.

Proper management of your BP can make it possible to take zero damage in almost every battle. Ok, not every battle... but many of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly there's a lot the game does right (combat, music, visuals, gameplay) but so much the game gets wrong (story, pacing, repetitiveness). The stuff that was wrong with it was a bigger deal to me and I had to quit after 20-30 hours. I honestly can't be bothered to sink 80 hours into a JRPG if the story and the characters are just okay. I want there to be some serious payoff for the time invested.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
I hate open world games so Octopath was set up in structure to annoy me. And it did, despite the awesome look and music.

Not only do the 8 characters not interact enough in early chapters, the fractured chapter structure means every time I start getting interested in 1 character's story, I can't access the next chapter until 10+ levels later.

Also, due to the open structure, even npcs in the starting towns give generic replies, which is really weird. Like if a character taught in this school for years, don't give him a generic line of introduction for that school. And even more soul crushing was using a character to talk to her store-keeper parents, and there's no personalized message at all, only generic "hey want to buy some stuff?"!

Its formula/ideas have a lot of potential, and I'm still interested in seeing how the follow up tweaks things. But it's a 7/10 for me for all the gripes I have.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Liked the gameplay enough to get the true final boss. The story was pretty weak and it doesn't help some of the characters are beyond irritating. The gameplay, visuals and soundtrack carried me to the finish line. Hoping the sequel improves upon it.

Also Ill never understand how people can say you don't need to grind. There are some end game bosses that will rip you a new one even when over leveled. Especially that ridiculous final boss. Unless you look up optimal builds and strategy you're gonna have a bad time since you're redoing that segment from the very beginning.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dull junk. The demos showed promise, but everything was so slow by the time I finished everybody's chapter 2, I lost any desire to continue. The story structure outright sucked. Boss fights also dragged ludicrously long and weren't fun at all. A regretful buy.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
I could be wrong, but I feel like my feelings on it are similar to a lot of people:

Great style, combat, concept... boring, drawn out, and repetitive in the long run. Seriously one of my favorite games of the year my first 6 hours. Couldn't play past 15 hours because I got bored out of my mind, so I never finished it.

Now I know plenty of people really loved. A few hated it. But I get the impression that many feel the way I did. I genuinely hope they make a sequel of sorts and make all the stories and quest for cohesive and add variety to the overall game.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I loved the game and thought it was fantastic. The soundtrack was one of my favorites and the stories were really interesting. Some characters were boring to me, but I did end up enjoying their stories anyway.

I don't get the grind comments. I didn't grind until the true final boss.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
If you liked the demo, you'll enjoy the full game. However the game is repetitive with the structure, which kills it for some people. I personally really liked the stories and thought they were a breath of fresh air and the combat system is the best in the generation for an RPG. It's hands down my game of the year and should be tried by any RPG fan with a Switch. I would recommend going back to the demo and trying other characters though to see if you get bored but at 40% off I'd say it's a must buy.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
+ Drop dead beautiful visuals
+ Highly addictive and satisfying battle system
+ Compelling collection of stories
+ Immense freedom
+ Superb soundtrack
- Not a lot of variety
- Simplistic and repetitive dungeon design

It's a fun game to play in bursts but it can wear you down quick. It lacks a sense of event and momentum. Everything's kind of bite-sized and self contained. It's short on surprises, you rarely feel that pull to find out what comes next, since you already have a pretty good idea in gameplay terms. I'll admit, I tuned out after putting in 30 hours or so and I haven't returned to it, but for that duration I did have a good time.

If the game had more diversions, narrative cliffhangers and palate-cleansers like traditional JRPGs do, and a little more structural complexity, it could have been a classic. As it is, it's a nice enough little game.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the game, my most played switch game right now. The gameplay is fast and snappy, the graphics are incredibly charming, the music is amazing. That being said, the story and structure of the game is a bit of a mess, a cool experiment, but one that is not worth it in my opinion, there are some good bits here and there, but nothing of note.
Play it for the great gameplay, not for the story.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Looks nice and has a fun combat system but ultimately was structurally too repetitive. Didn't like the writing and VA either. I was tired of it after chapter 1.

Crispy

Oct 27, 2017
Was really looking forward to it, but proved to be too repetitive for me. I quit during one of the second chapters.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
I was hype at first, played it for like 20h and more or less gave up. I may continue it at some point but I felt too bored so it's best to put it aside for now. I like what I've played tho.
My biggest problem is how the story is presented. Each character having their own arc is fine but there are no strong connexion between them and that bother me a lot. When I play an arc I feel like my party is composed of soulless NPC :/

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Extremely repetitive with a structure copy-and-pasted throughout. The 8 stories lose their charm quickly when they all progress in identical ways. Town > story > dungeon > boss > story. Rinse and repeat. There's no real depth to the characters or battle system, storylines are cliche ridden and predictable, soundtrack is great but the (surprisingly) few tracks repeat over and over... and over. Ehhh, hugely disappointing wouldn't even recommend on sale.
Buy Torna for the same money.

OH. You travel with a team but in every cutscene your character is alone. That reads like a minor point but I really hated it. Constantly immersion breaking. You also can't switch out your main character until post game which was similarly annoying. Also the 8 path actions unique to each character are actually just 4 as 2 characters will share a functionally identical skill (the merchant can buy an item from an npc, the thief can steal an item from an npc... it's the same thing)... I could continue. Man there's actually a lot I didn't like about this game lol

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I think Octopath is quite good. In contrast to everyone else I think making 8 separate stories with minimal character interactions was a great idea. It makes each character's story small and personal which is actually quite rare for RPGs. I do agree that playing through them can get repetitive, but it's far from a deal breaker.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Loved it up until doing something like half of the chapters 3. Then the fatigue hit me. Will still try to finish it thought, just needed a pause from it's repetitive nature.

The game does many things amazingly well ( visual, ost, job system, combat ), but things like having your first character mandatory in your team until you finish his/her story in a game where xp is not shared felt really stupid to me. And while I can't deny most jrpg have a repetitive structure, this one make it far more obvious.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Loved loved loved loved loved it. It's not hard, it's challenging. Best battle system in recent memory, music is amazing, characters are interesting. I finished all eight stories and I loved all of them. This game is amazing, and you can't go wrong.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great but long game. I'm 20hrs in and only just now closing up my 8th character's first chapter.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Absolutely love it, love the game, love the graphics, love the music.

Like Bravely Default before it, it's like they looked into my brain and made the most JRPG looking thing I could think of into a game. I never expected a modern game to ever look like this, an unthinkably amazing retro style I'm in love with. I really hope they're working on a sequel or something else similar.

❤️ Primrose.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely phenomenal. Amazing graphics, sound, gameplay, and storytelling. I put over 120 hours into this game and loved every second of it. Easily my favorite JRPG of all time.