• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I'm curious at what my fellow era members would do if they won.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
dissapear, buy a cheap house and good car and just pretend like im still broke but at least im stable now. i dont need fancy shit

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pay off my student loans, pay off both parents homes, siblings homes. Continue working part time cause I like my job. Buy a home, donate a majority, invest the rest, live off the nest egg.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Buy a cozy house, move my girlfriend out with me, invest.
Invest invest invest invest. Go spending, then figure out a plan to make sure I can live comfortable off of investments and also donate a sizable sum of my money.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'd make sure the money went in my account, quit with two weeks notice, invest in a home and then start work on owning my own business

obviously paying off debt and stuff too. I can't see myself living some sort of extravagant lifestyle and my husband works for a credit union so we'd probably tuck a lot of it away in accounts. I'd like to travel a bit, though.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
If it was a record-breaking sum, i'd Give away my ticket haha. Life would be considerably more shitty with having to move and all and avoid all the press and leaches. If it was a couple mil? Pay off debt and buy a beefy computer.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'd make sure the money went in my account, quit with two weeks notice, invest in a home and then start work on owning my own business

obviously paying off debt and stuff too. I can't see myself living some sort of extravagant lifestyle and my husband works for a credit union so we'd probably tuck a lot of it away in accounts. I'd like to travel a bit, though.
Quit with two weeks notice...... fuck they're lucky to have you

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
quit my job
Get a different house and another somewhere in the Carribbean (or other warm beach-y destination).
Invest
Travel
Donate a lot to a cause/foundation that is important to me

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
buy a few pieces of rental property & shore up the kids college / trusts

take care of my parents

then live a nice upper middle class life with no work and spend my time raising my children and doing philanthropic work

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chuck my phone into buffalo bayou and disappear after paying off the debt of myself and my immediate family/girlfriend.

I'd set up a trust for the use of my family at large, and just do whatever the fuck I wanted to do for the rest of my days while essentially being a stay at home dad to my son.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Pay off my parents debt, buy em a house and whatever cars they want. Buy myself a house and the cars I want. That's it as far as big purchases go. I'll pay my sister's college as well and all the other monies in investments and what not.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'd probably invest it all immediately as we're financially fine currently. Then I'd be in a position in 15 or 20 years to really do some good with it, either for my own family or via charitable donations. I'd keep working.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
(All this is after I've squirreled the money away in savings and quit my job)

Buy a house in a nice but not overly nice neighborhood.
Travel extensively
Learn a foreign language
Volunteer/donate a lot to animal shelters
Play an absurd amount of video games and buy tons of tech shit

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hire a lawyer and financial consultant to help me deal with it. Isn't there some statistic that winning the lottery can be really bad for people's lives?

I don't know if i'm in a state where they announce the name of the winner, but I probably wouldn't tell many family & friends that I won if any. I wouldn't want to suddenly have all the relationships in my life tested by that.

Assuming all that goes well: retire and travel.

Oct 27, 2017
how much of a win are we talking about (different amounts of money open different doors)

I'd try and find a balance between financial security for family, some splurging, some good will causes/charity, some business opportunities.

- If you win a "nice but not life changing amount" then you live well but still try to keep modest.
- If its one of those insane jackpots, that isn't actually as great as you think it is because you have to start thinking about loved ones being kidnapped etc.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Refrain from tipping altogether in order to teach these youngsters that man, you gotta work to get to the top just like I did and I ain't into handouts

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would quit my job and continue making YouTube videos as a hobby, since I don't have to worry about an income any more. I don't know if this would cause me to upload more or less, now that I don't have a job any more.

I would also setup a scholarship fund for local schools. I would like to use that all that interest and/or capital gains generated over time and put it to good use.

Would probably travel more too. I'm honestly kind of a homebody sometimes, I'm worried I would become a recluse if I didn't have to go to a job 5 days a week.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Buy a house. Buy a house for my parents. Buy myself an old car, maybe a Chevelle or a Javelin. Drop down down to 32 hours or less at work. Do some volunteer work.

Maybe take an unpaid sabbatical and just drive with no destination in mind.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
buy a house, hire a personal trainer, learn a musical instrument. Travel once I knew my family was taken care of.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm curious at what my fellow era members would do if they won.

Get a team together of advisors, financial planners and attorneys. Find out if I have to publically disclose who I am, If I do, then I would create a blind trust created with someone from the team to act as the spokesman.

I'd take the lump sum, as pretty much everyone agrees that it is better to take the lump sum. I'd create a foundation and invest a large portion with proceeds going back to the foundation, which I would then start donating money/goods/resources to worthy causes that I believe in (Conservation, Renewable energy, Education, Clean Water etc)

I'd buy a new home, because I really want a bonus room for the kids, so they don't trash the rest of the house lol. I'd quit my job in the insurance industry and commit myself to discovering worthy non-profits to support.

That is about it.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much? Need more details. I would never work again, if it was enough. I can live a modest life, as long as I have a nice computer and tv, and can take a vacation once or twice a year.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Build a passive/energy neutral house and maybe invest a bit so I can subsist off dividends or something. The rest goes to charity.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
1) call a lawyer

I'd want to stay as off the books as possible. With a big payday I'd give money to most of my family and friends to pay off their bills, mortgages etc.

I think id quit my job and launch a passion project and do that full time. 10 years ago I would have launched a brewery but now there's too many even just to do good beer is hard.

Travel

Probably buy some vacation properties around the world in key areas, rent them most of the time but use them.

And I'd donate a ton of money to the things I care about.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
If it was in the low millions I would take 20% for myself, 40% for my parents in increments - including if they want to fund any charity within both sides of the extended family, then look into ways of investing the remaining 40% with profits going to charities.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
I would put every cent to something beneficial to the whole of society and contemporary infrastructure and not use a dollar of it to help myself or any of my acquaintances.

WHAT, YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, MOM? HAHAHA, WATCH MEH!

Leonadar

Oct 27, 2017
Pay my debts, buy a decent house and car. Help my Dad out with his debts. Invest/save the rest and hopefully retire early.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Help out family, big chunk of sustainable land, invest some for passive income, start a passion business. Live out the rest of my days chill-ly.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Set myself up for living a comfortable life and invest wisely (aka get a professional to help me).

Also, NEVER tell any family or friends that I wont the lottery.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Retire my mom and throw a lot of it in a trust. Probably buy a nice car because I'm driving a truck from the 90's at the moment.

Once I had the money in hand and a lawyer to secure it, I'd probably take a nice vacation somewhere I've always wanted to go.

After that...dunno, I don't think that far ahead.