• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your favourite David Cage game?

• Omikrom: The Nomad Soul

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Heavy Rain

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Beyond: Two Souls

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Detroit: Become Human

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Detroit. Heavy Rain is laughably bad in multiple aspects (writing, controls, VA, etc.) And Beyond is a chore.

Detroit still has its fair share of awfulness (mostly everything that isn't Connors storyline). Wolf Among Us and Until Dawn are still the best telltalestyle choose your own adventure games and it isn't close

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I liked what omikron was trying to do and also the one where you're dead and impregnate some woman.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Indigo Prophecy's (Fahrenheit) first 20 mins are stellar, but probably have to side with Detroit for an actual game because idk what the fuck went down on the last 2/3s of indigo. Loved the idea and situations in Heavy Rain, but it just didn't translate. Always thought it should just be "episodes" like the Taxidermists dlc.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Despite being nonsensical and the "twist" not working because of a GAME MECHANIC, I still like Heavy Rain

Benjamin

Nov 11, 2017
THE NOMAD SOUL (OMIKRON)

It was broken on Dreamcast apparently, but the PC game was great. Superb sense of style, a very cool story, mix of gameplay types, lots of inventive gameplay mechanics, an interesting world which felt both alive and oppressive, a fucking DAVID BOWIE soundtrack and even a Bowie character (2 infact) and even the font was cool. It's a little wonky, but I really think highly of it. Deserves a remake/sequel.

This is David Cage at his most inventive, pre-"emotion" as a true game designer.

It's available on GoG if anyone is curious.

2nd place goes to Detroit for the sheer scale of different story threads he put into that game. Then comes Fahrenheit, which was really cool for 50%, then became just QTE overload.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Detroit by far. Still one of the most intense playthrough for me this gen, I was completely hooked.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Fahrenheit.

Because it's so fucking stupid.

That game is dumb as shit.

streepmeryl

Mar 4, 2018
Every single title. They are all super good and top tier breath of fresh air in gaming.

512x512bb.jpg

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
So is DEtroit actually good? I hated HEavy rain and I can't stand David Cage in general. Did he improve greatly and actually listen to criticism after Heavy rain?

Thanks.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Detroit is technically the best game,but I have a better time with Heavy Rain.Loved all 3 last games.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Heavy Rain and Omikron. In Heavy Rain choices did actually matter in contrast to Beyond Two Souls. Detroit was a good game, too, but a little too blatant with "are androids human and deserve the same rights?". And Omikron had a variety of actual gameplay and wasn't just the context-sensitive buttons. The gameplay nowadays is so outdated and isn't much fun anymore, whereas Heavy Rain is still a good game today. Omikron's weird atmosphere is still great, though.

Indigo Prophecy could have been cool but that ending is an insult to the player and retroactively destroys any possible respect one could have for the game and any modicum of credibility the story could have. The game events literally contradict themselves. How can anyone write something like that, I'll never understand.
Fixed it for you ;)

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Connor's Story from Detroit > Heavy Rain > Indigo before LSD stuff kicks in> Everything else from Detroit >>>>>>>>> Beyond >>>>>> Indigo after LSD stuff kicks in

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Indigo Prophecy

It blew my mind when I first played it. The whole idea of it, guy comes to, and suddenly it seems as if he killed someone. I got to control the suspect, and the investigator. It was amazing, and after that games that did that were cool, but not as cool because I did it before (I.E. Heavy Rain).

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017

I only played Heavy Rain and Detroit from that studio, so I don't know about the game you mention, but what I'm saying is factually true for HR. If Cage pulled off the same bullshit in several games then even more shame on him. Thankfully he seems to have gotten his act together with Detroit now, hopefully it will stay that way.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
fahrenheit. i know thats the most sloppily written one, even for cage standards, but cant get enough of that 'new york under snow' setting

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Man, I cannot stand David Cage. This is like asking what my favorite Puddle of Mudd album I rock out to most. His games are emperors new clothing to the max.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Detroit has highest highs, but also lowest lows (Marcus' whole story was just impressively awful). Heavy Rain is most consistent, but has some really bad plot threads in it as well. Beyond was just kinda bad all around.

I guess I'll go for Detroit, since it does have Connor and Hank.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
If Cage pulled off the same bullshit in several games then even more shame on him
I think it was one of the biggest criticism he earned for Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit. It starts strong as a mystery murder case (you also play alternating opposing factions, the murderer and the police trying to get him) with a little supernatural component and then resolves in a convoluted mess that goes apeshit and way beyond crazy and totally looses itself and its supernatural stuff, goes full Matrix and anime-style combat choreography, and all other characters start to make less and less sense. Soundtrack and atmosphere is great, though.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Until Dawn is the best game in that style.

From the man himself though, it's Fahrenheit. It's at least half good (plus the start is still the best thing QD have done) before devolving batshit insanity.

Heavy Rain has sporadic moments of quality but cuts its own legs off, Detroit has good storyline out of three (Hank and Connor obviously) and Beyond Two Souls is just boring wank, which is impressive in its own way considering it had Willem Dafoe.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
OP why no Poll?

Detroit for sure. Heavy Rain was great, but it had it flaws. I dont even want to talk about Beyond two souls.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Played Heavy Rain as a young teenager and it was mind blowing at the time. Truly one of my standout gaming experiences. But I wouldn't dare go back to it lol. Played Beyond a few years later and it plays like ass, so I'm assuming HR did too. At least Detroit is playable without wanting to throw your controller through the TV because the movement is so shit.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Detroit. It's so much better than all the other ones. The writing is really good and it doesn't have these narative dead ends as some of his other games.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I just finished Beyond Two Souls two days ago,recently played Detriot too both thanks to PS+,played Heavy Rain back on PS3.
I thought Detroit was the best.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Fahrenheit was terrible, the quick time events and silliness are straight up bad.

Got bored with Heavy Rain - mind numbingly boring interactions.

Only played like 30 minutes of Beyond and was not interested.

Detroit was really fun, looks incredible and well worth playing.