• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Ya know, a birth. Marriage. A traumatic event. Things that shaped your entire life so far, or gave your life meaning. Stuff like that.

Mine has got to be the breakdown of my relationship with my best friend. I failed her, and she failed me, and I've spent four years trying to get over that, and get over her. I still struggle with it everyday, I miss her everyday. But there's no going back now, so I base a lot of my decisions based on not repeating the past. I will never fail a friend like that ever again. I wonder what my life would have been like had I never met her.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Marrying my wife.

Birth of my kid.

I don't think anything can feel so amazing again. Maybe grandchildren if I'm blessed to have em.

Two monumental moments in my life that I wouldn't change for anything.

If the friendship led to you being a better person then it was absolutely worth it and you should hold those memories fondly in your heart. We all fall down but as long as we rise wiser it's a net gain. We're only human. Don't beat yourself up too hard, just learn and grow. You'll be iight.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Moving to Colorado turned me into the weird, aspiring vegan, mountain hiking, trail running, Subaru owner that I am. And now, I traded that life in to move back to LA and become a refinery contractor in pursuit of money :))))))))

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The things that really changed my life? My first relationship ending and getting kicked out of high school only to get into med school years later. My current girlfriend and living with her also changed my life a lot.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
3) Having our first child.
2) Getting married to the greatest person I've ever known.
1) Seeing Mario 64 for the first time at a Blockbuster kiosk.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Coming out to my mom. Biggest thing that happened to me where I can see a huge before/after sort of thing with.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Being on the receiving end of pure, supportive, unconditional love from a partner. Sadly, I was a young dumbass at the time so I took it for granted but once you see that yes, there are people out there capable of genuine love and support, it goes a long way in sustaining you through wading through the 99% out there who are just selfish dbags

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Meeting my partner some years back, though I didn't know it at the time.

Over the years, she's helped me become a much better person and a willing, useful and engaged partner who doesn't dump the emotional baggage of home upkeep on her. I am honestly, like, 1000% better because of her.

We've been together for over 6 years and married for the last half-year. It's been a wonderful 6 years and the wedding was exactly what we wanted, literally perfect in every way. The best part was that it didn't cost an arm and a leg (or even anything close!) We got the day we wanted, everyone in both our families showed up exactly as they needed to, our best friends were there to have a nice, chill dinner afterward and everyone loved it.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I'm just posting to remind the people reading this that you might not have a defining moment and that's okay!
It's really neat when we recognize a significant event as it happens. But those are rare.
Most of the biggest changes in our life (beyond deaths and injuries) don't happen in a day. They take years and years to slowly manifest.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Being lucky enough to having been born in the United States and having two parents that had enough money to support me and my sisters.

Life in the United States is so easy to how life is for the majority of people in the world that I can't really think of a defining moment of my life other than having won the birth lottery.

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
Death of my grandfather while I was in grad school. Completely changed the trajectory of my life. I had just started grad school in January, he died in March. I stopped going to class immediately and dropped out. Spent the next 9 months in a depressive funk. Dated a very abusive woman, moved to a different state and started working to get away. Never made friends there, depression got worse. Worked on self development and actualization after another move to another state. I don't know if I would have been the man that my wife wanted to marry if I hadn't gone through those things.
IF he had died before I left for grad school, I would never have left, and who knows where I would have been then.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
My marriage.

My life basically changed for the better after I got marrued. I got a house, a car, a steady income so I can buy stuff I always wanted, and this year, a kid. With no debt whatsoever, I'm probably set for life with my family.

Oct 30, 2017
I probably shouldn't class it as one but losing my sight to a bleach attach 5 years ago is probably the most interesting and defining moment so far.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Hm, I dunno. Graduating high school felt like the culmination of the first 18 years of my life so that I guess. I've since graduated college and got a somewhat halfway decent job but neither of those things gave me the same feeling.

This is also dumb but the moment I first played Pokemon Red is up there, it started a lifelong obsession with games that influences my day-to-day life more than maybe any other conscious decision I made during early childhood.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Marrying my wife
Birth of my child
Moving to Colorado

They all happened within the span of a year. But I grew so much during that time and took on more responsibility than ever before.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably when a suicide attempt was derailed when a bunch of drunk friends forcibly and unknowingly had me sit down and play Smash with them all night. That or seeing The Drowned Man for the first time

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
When I got misdiagnosed with leukemia as a kid and ended up being able to leave Siberia to live in England and subsequently move to the U.S. If that hadn't happened I'd still be in Siberia, doing fuck knows what.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Mine has got to be the breakdown of my relationship with my best friend. I failed her, and she failed me, and I've spent four years trying to get over that, and get over her. I still struggle with it everyday, I miss her everyday. But there's no going back now, so I base a lot of my decisions based on not repeating the past. I will never fail a friend like that ever again. I wonder what my life would have been like had I never met her.

Replace best friend with previous girlfriend and that would be it. I found who I am and who I want to be thanks to her. And I am infinitely grateful for all the love and all the pain, and all the lessons on how I could always be better than I currently am.

I don't know how she's doing or what she's been up to over the last few years, but my relationship with her has been my defining "moment".

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to say the birth of my children. Getting married is a big deal but once the party is over, life doesn't change much.....until your kids come along. Then oh boy does life get interesting.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was 26 and had this powerful, sudden craving for an Orange Dreamcicle. Then I heard it, on cue. The Ice Cream Truck. I was filming a project for my college finals and I just... walked away from the shoot towards the music. I flagged him down and gave him my dollar. The day was hot, but the sweet and tangy popcicle was precisely what I needed. I have never been more satisfied or content in my life.

... Also marrying the love of my life and having our first kid. Distant second, but worth mentioning.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I was far too stressed out & worried when my daughter was born.

Actually I do have a good example, it was just a random night where I decided to turn my life around. All at once I decided to do it, and it worked. That was over 8 years ago.

OP
OP
Magic-Man

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Replace best friend with previous girlfriend and that would be it. I found who I am and who I want to be thanks to her. And I am infinitely grateful for all the love and all the pain, and all the lessons on how I could always be better than I currently am.

I don't know how she's doing or what she's been up to over the last few years, but my relationship with her has been my defining "moment".

I have to ask, would you ever want to get back in contact with her? Try it all again, or at least try to clear the air? I've always wondered if I should myself, because I would give the world to fix things, but I'm always worried that I'd make it worse.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Everything that I have now stems from the night ten years ago when my roommate forced me to stop playing Diablo 2 and go out with him, and I subsequently met my wife and the mother of my two children.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
1. Playing SNES with my cousins when I was 7. I had an SNES but did not get into gaming until they introduced me to wonders such as Secret of Mana and DKC. Almost 25 years later, here I am, still an avid gamer.

2. Going to Ohio for college not knowing anyone->Meeting my husband there 2 years later->Starting our crazy cat family.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mothers sudden sickness and death 4 years ago. made me change some things in my life and the past couple of years has been pretty positive. has me wishing i could share it with her every time something good happens.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a series of events for me. Two deaths and a suicide of family members in six months in 2015 put me into a years long depressive suicidal spiral that finally provided the spark for me to take a look at my religious beliefs and to leave my born in cult religion in 2018. Not killing myself in 11/2017, 5/2018 and 12/2018 are probably big ones too. Telling my family I was officially out in 11/2018 and losing all contact with them for months, but I had already quit the religion and moved before that, just hadn't told them I was out.

Taking MDMA for the first time. It made me a completely different, more open/loving person.

I tried it once and it kicked me out of a serious depressive episode and I didn't experience depression again for 9 months. It definitely can have an impact for the better.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
My dad thought I should learn to play the piano, I didn't care much about any of that but wasn't against it either.

they went to the music conservatory (!) ) in my home town because they saw an ad saying they teach piano there (a conservatory provides music education for professionals and concert pianists and my parents just wanted me to play a tune or two, not turn into a concert pianist or anything)

since I was 13 and had absolutely zero knowledge about music or piano, they told my parents "no way, he's way too old for this, he can try private lessons or something, but certinaly not here".

my mom almost begged on her knees to the principal to let me in. My mom just didn't want her son to be rejected, I had never played a single key so she couldn't have thought I had potential or anything.

after begging and "please trust him blablabla" long enough, the princpal said "m'am, this is pointless, but he can come and try to take lessons a couple of months, if he can keep the pace then you can pay fees and enroll him"

So I started to learn play the piano.

my life now? I went on tour to different continents, I performed Rachmaninoff and Chopin with orchestras and have a great job as a piano teacher at a reputable school in a Germany (and I come from the deep 3rd world too).

every single thing that happens to me today is a consequence of that 1 hour my mom spent begging the principal to let me in.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
The death of my wife in 2007. We'd been married for just six months. She died the day after giving birth to our twins. She was just 33 years old.

It's my Battle of Yavin. Everything in my life is separated to before or after that event. It split my life in two, in many ways.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Being close to death and rise like a motherfucking Phoenix.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Falling in love for the first time.
Breaking up with said love after four years.
Graduating with my MSc Chemistry degree.
Getting my first job.
Getting my own, first apartment.
Falling in love again.
Sharing a new/modern apartment after moving in with said love.

My 20s were a rollercoaster of emotions in hindsight. Live and learn.