• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
sUZXX7L_d.jpg

Found this guy while studying. Body is about the size of my thumbs fingernail.
Should I set everything on fire now or later?

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capture it in a cup or container or something, set it free outside.
Then set the place on fire if you really feel like it.

OP
OP
Mariolee

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It just tried to crawl in my shoe and looked big as fuck.

Right now in library with nothing to capture it in so will just let it be.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
They're harmless to humans. the most you'll get is a nip lol

edit: and that photo is just fucking with you. the biggest ones only get 6 inches.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
You're like a bazillion times bigger than it and can crush it without even trying. Why are people so afraid of bugs?

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just grind souls until you're able to one shot it with a plunging attack. Other than that: git gud.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
That picture famously manipulates perspective to make them appear enormous, they actually max out at about six inches
or do and remember the person dangling it is several feet in front of the person who seems to be- and it's actually an extreme closeup of a small specimen maybe four or five inches max.

the notion of that spider being six inches in length is still really alarming FYI - spiders don't grow anywhere near that big where I live in canada. Its also just a pretty crazy looking spider.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
It just tried to crawl in my shoe and looked big as fuck.

Right now in library with nothing to capture it in so will just let it be.

They are sometimes called camel spiders, and sometimes called sun spiders. They are called the latter because if you spot one during the day they may try and run into your shadow causing straight panic obviously. Don't be alarmed though they are harmless, just really really fucking quick lmao.

I had a cool opportunity to see one in South Africa during a hot day, and was able to observe how they burrow into the sand to stay cool. Their face and chelicerae are nicely shaped that it is a pretty good shovel!
And their chelicerae are paired and independent, so they have chomping action on both sides and alternate noms.

solpugid_jaws.jpg

Pretty wild stuff.

Also it's not a bug, it's an arachnid.

Last edited:

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
It's harmless but can run fast. If you have a waste paper basket you can herd it into that and release it outside.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
or do and remember the person dangling it is several feet in front of the person who seems to be- and it's actually an extreme closeup of a small specimen maybe four or five inches max.
lol. The fact that you think that thing being "only" four inches big is not a big deal is where we differ. I don't know that I have seen a bug more than an inch big in my life that wasn't behind glass.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Don't set it on fire, it could exhale toxic fumes and melt your skin.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
You're like a bazillion times bigger than it and can crush it without even trying. Why are people so afraid of bugs?
This is a completely armchair theory, but bugs are the biggest threat in the animal kingdom to humans. They're very weird looking, which makes us automatically weary of them. They're so small we usually can't see them or feel them, even if they're on us. They can hurt a lot, and the worst ones are venomous. Finally, they're some of the few animals that can easily encounter us. It's easy for them to get in ours homes and stay there, so we really can't avoid them the same way we can avoid most other fears.

Anyway, if that was a rhetorical question I apologise lmao.

On a related note, spiders are really cool and misunderstood. As a shark fan and snake fan, I gotta sympathize with people who love spiders.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Those suckers are fast. Was out at smoke pit with co-workers, saw one 10 feet away, within the span of a few seconds had run up my coworkers' collar of his shirt and was staring at me. I immediately ran of course, then as he looked weirdly at me I yelled back what was on him lol

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Looking at the screen 24h first thing came to mind is you had a bug in your windows pc or something and you are scared it will ruin you computer or something along the line, actual bug didnt even cross my mind. Man I really need to see the sun

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, as I grew up in the desert and these little fuckers run at a billion miles an hour.

I've literally had scorpions rain on me (plus I got stung) and I hate this creature more.

Something about it viscerally terrifies me

I don't blame you they are the quickest arthropod I've ever encountered I think. And the weird shit they have on the bottom of their abdomen always freaked me out. They have a look that says fuck nah.

What? Scorpion rain?! Please expand I'm curious.