• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
During this quarantine, I'm looking to enrich my mind.

Planning on ordering a kindle. Give me some of your essential books you believe everyone should read.

GreatBritton

Oct 29, 2017
I like the Bible quite a lot.
but I also like Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton and 11/22/63 by Stephen King.
If you're looking for Non fiction I recommend The Disneyland Story by Sam Genneway.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
Deep Economy by Bill McKibben
On Revolution by Hannah Arendt

Some of my faves in terms of general interest and self improvement

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1984, Brave New World, Frankenstein, at least one Harry Potter book, the Bible, and The Shining

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield.

It's about the Spartans at Thermopylae. It's fiction based on historical accuracy, about growing up in the Spartan military way, and then the incredible days long battle against overwhelming forces which followed.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Snow Crash for pure blistering cyberpunk escapism. I don't know how much it will enrich your mind beyond the act of reading, though.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
1984 by George Orwell and Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Catch-22 is essential, and relatable to an unfortunate degree for the time we live in.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
World War Z
Cats Cradle
The Stranger
The Stand (uncut if you have time)
On Writing (if you want to know what the most prolific writer of our times, Stephen King, thinks about writing)
Autobiography of ________ (insert person you look up to or want to know more about)
Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (Pulitzer winning novel in 40's America about kids who create a franchise serial character)

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The Deltora series, Warriors series (first arc and Firestar's Quest), Wings of Fire

Those are my favorites anyway.

Mulberry

Oct 28, 2017
How to Be Black by Baratunde Thurston

It is somewhat satirical but also helped me understand why white people don't understand why life is different for people of color.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
My essentials which I love and read from time to time: In Search of lost Time by Marcel Proust, The Human Condition and The origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt, Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann, The Man without Qualities by Robert Musil, Faust by Goethe, Oedipus the King and Antigone by Sophocles, Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was surprised by how immensely enjoyable reading the Iliad and the Odyssey was. I believe Robert Fagles' translations are considered very approachable for the modern reader.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
The Stranger by Camus
A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn
In the Belly of the Beast by Jack Abott
The Jungle by Sinclair

Always are high on my recommendation list. If you are looking at some escapism though, I'll recommend The Wind Up Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I was surprised by how immensely enjoyable reading the Iliad and the Odyssey was. I believe Robert Fagles' translations are considered very approachable for the modern reader.

Yeah, reading them in high school was probably some of my favorite "required reading" times. I loved them.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Book of the New Sun, easily. Then maybe John Dies at the End. John Langan's The Fisherman.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
Deep Economy by Bill McKibben
On Revolution by Hannah Arendt

Some of my faves in terms of general interest and self improvement
If you like On Revolution, you need to read Arendt's main work "The human Condition". For me it is still the the most influential and inspirational book regarding political theory.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Essential huh? Hmm. 1984 and Moby Dick for sure. The Great Gatsby too. For something more fun, I'd say Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet, and IT by Stephen King. House of Leaves too. Though that one is less fun :P

For nonfiction I got a lot out of The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
17349._SX318_.jpg

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
There's so many, but I'll give one great recommendation:

This work is the story of 15 billion years of cosmic evolution, transforming matter and life into consciousness, how science and civilization grew up together and the forces and individuals who helped shape modern science. The book aims to make scientific ideas accesssible and exciting. It is based on the television series of the same name. Subjects covered include the ancient library of Alexandria, the death of the sun, the evolution of galaxies, space missions and hieroglyphics.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Too many to list, just too many. I'll just say that Moby Dick is my favorite book and leave it at that.

My essentials which I love and read from time to time: In Search of lost Time by Marcel Proust, The Human Condition and The origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt, Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann, The Man without Qualities by Robert Musil, Faust by Goethe, Oedipus the King and Antigone by Sophocles, Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon.
Excellent selections 👍

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Unfortunately, it's only available in Spanish on Kindle for some reason 😞

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
A good place to start is the Good Reads (100 Books to Read Before You Die):
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/100-books-to-read-before-you-die

Some of my recommendations on books that I haven't seen mentioned here yet:

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
A really profound, affecting, and absurd novel about the potentially catastrophic effects of technology and how we use religion and ritual to cope.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Probably the most beautifully written book I've ever read. There is a poetic cadence to it that flows unlike anything out there. Absolute masterpiece. The subject matter is controversial but compelling.

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
It has been a while since I read this but it is peak Murakami in my mind.

The Three-Body Problem (Earth's Remembrance #1) by Ken Liu
It takes a bit to get there, but I think it may be the best sci-fi I've ever read and the trilogy is all fantastic.

My other note to you is that most classics are classics for a reason, they tend to be really good. Some of them might be more difficult to get into but are very rewarding once you do.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
The Shock Doctrine
Manufacturing Consent
A People's History of the United States
American Exceptionalism and American Innocence

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To kill a mockingbird, Three Comrades, Kafka on the Shore, Memoirs of a Geisha, High Fidelity, Americanah, A Song of Ice and Fire and Harry Potter

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
One Hundred Years of Solitude
by Gabriel García Márquez

The Tortilla Curtain
by T.C. Boyle

Lord of the Flies
by William Golding

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
by Edward Albee

The Corrections
by Jonathan Franzen

Oct 25, 2017
Hamlet
Macbeth
King Lear
Candide - Voltaire
Orlando - Virginia Woolf
Mrs Dalloway - Virginia Woolf
Dubliners - James Joyce
A Farewell to Arms, The Old Man and the Sea, For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
The Complete Dramatic Works - Samuel Beckett
Complete Poems - Sylvia Plath
Despair, Lolita, Pale Fire - Vladimir Nabokov
Native Son - Richard Wright
Collected Fictions - Borges
Kiss of the Spider Woman - Manuel Puig
Gravity's Rainbow, Mason and Dixon, Against the Day - Thomas Pynchon
The Names, White Noise, Libra, Point Omega - Don DeLillo
Wittgenstein's Mistress - David Markson
Infinite Jest, Oblivion - David Foster Wallace
Blood Meridian, The Crossing - Cormac McCarthy
White Teeth, On Beauty - Zadie Smith
2666 - Roberto Bolano
Underground Railroad - Colson Whitehead
My Year of Rest and Relaxation - Ottessa Moshfegh
Conversations with Friends, Normal People - Sally Rooney

Some that come to mind, mainly 20/21 century.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Fiction:

The Brothers Karamazov -Fyodor Dostoevsky

"Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love."

The Fall - Albert Camus

"A single sentence will suffice for modern man. He fornicated and read the papers. After that vigorous definition, the subject will be, if I may say so, exhausted."

Steppenwolf - Herman Hesse

"Every age, every culture, every custom and tradition has its own character, its own weakness and its own strength, its beauties and ugliness; accepts certain sufferings as matters of course, puts up patiently with certain evils. Human life is reduced to real suffering, real hell, only when two ages, two cultures and religions overlap. A man of the Classical Age who had to live in medieval times would suffocate miserably just as a savage does in the midst of our civilization. Now there are times when a whole generation is caught in this way between two ages, two modes of life, with the consequence that it loses all power to understand itself and has no standard, no security, no simple acquiescence. Naturally, everyone does not feel this equally strongly. A nature such as Nietzsche's had to suffer our present ills more than a generation in advance. What he had to go through alone and misunderstood, thousands suffer today."

The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov

"The tongue can conceal the truth, but the eyes never! You're asked an unexpected question, you don't even flinch, it takes just a second to get yourself under control, you know just what you have to say to hide the truth, and you speak very convincingly, and nothing in your face twitches to give you away. But the truth, alas, has been disturbed by the question, and it rises up from the depths of your soul to flicker in your eyes and all is lost."

Dead Souls- Nikolai Gogol

The longer and more carefully we look at a funny story, the sadder it becomes."

Sanshiro - Natsume Soseki

"Nature can't influence the character of someone who can't translate nature into character."

Never Let Me Go- Kazuo Ishiguro

"Maybe from as early as when you're five or six, there's been a whisper going at the back of your head, saying: "One day, maybe not so long from now, you'll get to know how it feels." So you're waiting, even if you don't quite know it, waiting for the moment when you realise that you really are different to them; that there are people out there, like Madame, who don't hate you or wish you any harm, but who nevertheless shudder at the very thought of you – of how you were brought into this world and why – and who dread the idea of your hand brushing against theirs. The first time you glimpse yourself through the eyes of a person like that, it's a cold moment. It's like walking past a mirror you've walked past every day of your life, and suddenly it shows you something else, something troubling and strange."

Moby Dick- Herman Melville
The Picture of Dorian Grey - Oscar Wilde
Frankenstein- Mary Shelley
Invisible Man- Ralph Ellison

Non-Fiction:

The Wretched of the Earth - Frantz Fanon
Public Opinion - Walter Lippmann
Anti-Intellectualism in American Life- Richard Hofstadter
Common Sense - Thomas Paine
The Communist Manifesto - Friedrich Engels and Karl Marx
Reason, Social Myths and Democracy - Sidney Hook
All That Is Solid Melts into Air- Marshall Berman
Kennith Clark -Civilisation
Orientalism - Edward Said
Irrational Man - William Barrett
The Story of Philosophy - Will Durant
The Power of Myth - Joseph Campbell
Violence - Slavoj Zizek
Profit over People - Noam Chomsky
Tragic Sense of Life - Miguel De Unamuno

I am hesitant to recommend primary source philosophy texts but Fear and Tembling by Soren Kierkegaard is a must read.

Working on adding a quote for each book.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Practically anything by Ursula K. Le Guin counts, but I'm partial to The Dispossessed and A Wizard of Earthsea.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
No Longer Human
by Osamu Dazai

Play It as It Lays
by Joan Didion

The Stranger
by Albert Camus

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
by Robert Pirsig

(Perhaps a theme emerges, so let's switch gears)

Godel, Escher, Bach
by Douglas Hofstadter

Lolita
by Vladimir Nabokov

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you like On Revolution, you need to read Arendt's main work "The human Condition". For me it is still the the most influential and inspirational book regarding political theory.
Thanks for the recommendation, just popped it into my Kindle! I read "On Revolution" during a political theory class in my polisci degree which I really enjoyed called "Problems of Democracy".

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
To rep my avatar - read the Culture books by Iain M Banks. And the non-Culture ones and the general fiction ones too maybe :D That is if you like Sci-fi. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with the Discworld series by Pratchett and the Hitchhiker books by Adams. Or as others have said 1984 by Orwell.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Since I read it shortly before the Coronavirus outbreak and the parallels are so striking:

Blindness by Jose Saramago

40495148._SY475_.jpg

A city is hit by an epidemic of "white blindness" that spares no one. Authorities confine the blind to an empty mental hospital, but there the criminal element holds everyone captive, stealing food rations, and assaulting women. There is one eyewitness to this nightmare who guides her charges—among them a boy with no mother, a girl with dark glasses, a dog of tears—through the barren streets, and their procession becomes as uncanny as the surroundings are harrowing. As Blindness reclaims the age-old story of a plague, it evokes the vivid and trembling horrors of the twentieth century, leaving readers with a powerful vision of the human spirit that's bound both by weakness and exhilarating strength.

www.goodreads.com

Blindness

From Nobel Prize–winning author José Saramago, a magnificent, mesmerizing parable of loss A city is hit by an epidemic of "white blindne...

I was a really young and ignorant kid when I read this book, and it changed my life forever. I love Carl Sagan so much.