• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are You Opposed To Concealed Carry With Extended Background Checks?

• Yes

Votes: 533 79.2%
  • No

Votes: 152 22.6%

• Total voters

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Hey all! I have been quite nervous writing this, but I thought I would ask about the opinions of handgun ownership. Now, I understand Era leans heavily to the left (As do I), so this is a topic that I expect to be controversial. To give you all a little information on my background, I am a Progressive Liberal that is Pro-Gun. What I mean by that is I am Pro-Concealed Carry/Anti-Assault Weapons/Anti-NRA/Pro-Extended Background Checks. I refuse to shop at gun shows because of their loopholes and have never once stepped foot in one (never will). Now, onto the question...

If we had extended background checks & psychological exams for everyone that wanted to purchase a handgun, would you be opposed to concealed carry? I just want to have a logical & polite discussion about this, as there are Liberals like myself who prefer to carry as a last-case defense at my house or at places where White Nationalist/Neo-Nazi terrorist shit bags would want to open-fire on the public. I expect many to disagree with me or think I am crazy (or both), but I just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on the matter since most gun-related topics deal with Assault-style guns.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I do not want to be around anyone with a gun who is not a trained law enforcement officer. I'm from the Deep South where guns were a pretty constant presence and I've had my fill.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to have a logical & polite discussion about this, as there are Liberals like myself who prefer to carry as a last-case defense at my house or at places where White Nationalist/Neo-Nazi terrorist shit bags would want to open-fire on the public. I expect many to disagree with me or think I am crazy (or both), but I just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on the matter since most gun-related topics deal with Assault-style guns.

If you need to defend yourself (with a firearm) against these kinds of things, there is something fundamentally wrong with where you live.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's dumb but I've never lived in a country where experiencing gun violence is a realistic threat. If I lived in the US or somewhere I might think different about it.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In an ideal America guns for civilians would all be banned, but I am convinced that is not realistic at all, so I'll take concealed carry, no assault weapons and background checks.

I am not American though.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm against carrying a weapon, if it's defending your house, you don't need it on your person at all times, keep it in a safe location.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
we have to get a serious handle on gun control laws before we even consider addressing concealed carry laws (as you addressed in the OP)

if the planets aligned and we were able to do that and gun murders/suicides were down enough and crime keeps plummeting... then yeah, i could see us have a talk about it. but just a talk! not committing to anything

Cheeky Devlin

Oct 31, 2017
Unless you are a farmer, or live/work in the wilderness where wild animals are a real possibility/threat I believe there isn't a single legitimate reason for owning a gun.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
No civilian should be allowed to carry or own any guns except very basic hunting rifles that require an extended background check.

Fuck guns and fuck the US' gun culture.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is absolutely zero reason in modern society for random people to need to be able to walk around with hidden weapons. It's pure lunacy.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be interested to know how many people in say, a supermarket, would react more to someone carrying an axe, machete and a bow and arrow, or a gun.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I'm an inspector and travel a lot to some really rough areas. I've always carried one. 15 years now. I was trained by an ex-marine/special forces in handling my gun.

Only had to pull it once in 15 years, and it may have saved my life. Had a guy try to come through the window of my work truck because I wouldn't buy his fake jewelry from him. Couldn't get to my keys so I pulled my gun on him.

Outside of that, I've not needed it in 15 years. I've never fired my gun once.

I still fully support massive cut backs on access to guns, deep background checks, and the elimination of semi-automatic rifles. There's no need for them at all. We'll never get rid of guns in the US, but we could make some massive changes.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
What's the argument for concealed carry over open carry?
If the goal is self-defense, seems a visible firearm would be a good deterrent.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
if you need a gun on you at all times you have problems. that shit aint normal

I just want to have a logical & polite discussion about this

I as
If you need to defend yourself (with a firearm) against these kinds of things, there is something fundamentally wrong with where you live.

Have you seen America in the past few years? Shit, I would LOVE to live in a world where weapons aren't a thing. I seriously would, but that's just not reality.

What's the argument for concealed carry over open carry?
If the goal is self-defense, seems a visible firearm would be a good deterrent.

A fantastic question! I'm not a big supporter of open carry, as in my state (Tennessee), you can walk anywhere with an open firearm without any training whatsoever. I would prefer there to be training for someone to carry in that manner like the training we receive for a CCW (to which, I believe the training needs to be expanded on).

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The "Good guy with a gun" has a much higher chance of accidentally killing someone innocent than actually stopping a shooter, so nah. Fuck that.

You REALLY want to protect yourself so much why not just go open carry.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yep, guns are trash.

I live in the UK where this isn't a problem, but the idea of a populus being able to walk around with a gun that they can pull in the heat of an argument is just terrifying to me.

eclipze

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with it as long as they are not a danger to themselves or society.

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not at all. Last thing we need is more paranoid people armed in public. Society has failed miserably if it's at the point where letting people carry guns in public is seen as any solution to a problem rather than doing literally anything else.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I as

Have you seen America in the past few years? Shit, I would LOVE to live in a world where weapons aren't a thing. I seriously would, but that's just not reality.
I have, and it's somewhere I'd avoid if at all possible, until America gets it's head around the fact that the answer against guns is less guns, not more guns, I don't know what to tell you.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I as

oy... i kinda lean towards the way you look at guns OP.... but man this thread is going to be quite rudely smashed into your face. i'm sure you know that already... but it's mostly futile trying to talk sense into any of these people when is comes to sensible gun laws. they just want to them gone, which is of course completely unrealistic. god speed to you lol

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
No fucking civilian in a developed place should be allowed to carry any sort of weapon. Period.

Open carry is stupid and conceiled carry is even more stupid on top of being fucking dangerous.

Having a gun if you live in the african savannah or the middle of an Alaska forest, yeah, ok, it's to defend yourself again the fauna.

But in a city ? Even a small one ? Fuck off.

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a concealed carry license but I dont really carry. There is no real training to get it, all i had to do was sit through a 1 hour long DVD and point a fake gun with a laser on a target. However, I feel the focus right now needs to be to to close the used guns loophole which is ridiculous in Florida

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Extended background checks. You know I don't even know what that even looks at. I guess just criminal records?

Sadly that alone doesn't mean jack squat.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Second Amendment aside (which for the record I disagree with the Court's holding that it grants an individual right to own a firearm), I'd prefer to live in a society where most forms of guns (hunting rifles are an exception) are banned.

Nov 28, 2017
Americans, it's time to give up your sick gun fetish. I'm sure there are plenty of women and men who don't mind small penises.
The rest of the world is laughing at you.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
oy... i kinda lean towards the way you look at guns OP.... but man this thread is going to be quite rudely smashed into your face. i'm sure you know that already... but it's mostly futile trying to talk sense into any of these people when is comes to sensible gun laws. they just want to them gone, which is of course completely unrealistic. god speed to you lol

Yep, I was not excited to make this thread (especially being a Liberal that likes guns under certain circumstances), but I felt it was a discussion that needed to be had since Assault-style guns are the issue that everyone brings up, but there is usually never any talk about handguns and viewpoints on concealed carry. I expect people to continue acting out of emotion towards me (and that's fine), but at the end of the day, this needs to be ironed out.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I was not excited to make this thread (especially being a Liberal that likes guns under certain circumstances), but I felt it was a discussion that needed to be had since Assault-style guns are the issue that everyone brings up, but there is usually never any talk about handguns and viewpoints on concealed carry. I expect people to continue acting out of emotion towards me (and that's fine), but at the end of the day, this needs to be ironed out.
Hand guns lead to more deaths than assault rifles, they're honestly a bigger problem despite getting less attention

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The world isn't nearly a scary enough place to warrant needing a fucking life-ending weapon on you at all (or any) time. I'm mid-30s and can't think of a single instance in my entire life that would have been improved with a weapon. I've been burglarized several times and weapons wouldn't have even made that better (am I going to fucking shoot someone over stuff?)

I have a very good friend who doesn't come by anymore because we told him to stop bringing his goddamned gun into our house. "You live downtown and it's a dangerous place. There are homeless people!" Motherfucker I go jogging at midnight most nights of the week perfectly fine, you aren't in any danger at 5pm in the evening. Are you going to shoot someone for asking for a dollar because you "feel threatened?" Bug off.

This need says more about the insecurities of the armed than anything else. It's the same as toddlers needing to carry their blankey everywhere.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I live in the UK where this isn't a problem, but the idea of a populus being able to walk around with a gun that they can pull in the heat of an argument is just terrifying to me.
Ditto. It's a horrifying thought. It would change the fabric of society so much. Imagine just popping down to the supermarket and knowing that anyone could have a gun tucked in the waistband of their jeans. It's so far removed from reality over here (and in most of the civilised world) that it feels insane to even consider.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
First off, very anti-gun, preferably the choice is get rid of guns. But that ain't the case.

Among the various things obtainable for guns, concealed carry licenses actually require attending a class and proving you can shoot. I wish that was the standard for how we handle all gun purchases in the country, as well as waiting periods. Like banning all guns isn't gonna happen, but there's no reason this kinda shit can't.