• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
its really really close if not exact for the JUST Egg product, but holy crap is it expensive. No idea what it is around the US, but in central IL where things are generally cheaper its still 9 dollars a bottle. That bottle is like 2 people's worth of a small amount of egg when cooked. The only time I splurged and got it was when my Aldi's was testing it, no one bought it, and it got marked down to 1 dollar.
Yeah, of the big name retailers, the only one I've spotted locally that's reflected Just's intent to price drop starting in May is Whole Foods - Amazon - so I'd love some other options at the $5 price besides Bezos.

From January 2020

Andrew Noyes, Head of Global Communications at Eat JUST, Inc., answered some questions about JUST Egg for CleanTechnica.

How much are you cutting the price of the liquid plant-based product?

We're targeting a 35% case cost reduction across retail and foodservice JUST Egg, which for retail (12 oz. bottle) consumers would mean $4.99 suggested retail price a bottle, down from $7.99. The new folded JUST Egg will also be $4.99 (SRP). We're always working to increase efficiencies and decrease cost.​

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Cheese and Steak.

As soon as we get replacements for these my life will be complete.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to make Seitan but getting my hands on vital wheat gluten during all of this is a pain. But for Americans, or anyone else who has easy access to Bob's Red Mill vital wheat gluten, look into making seitan at home as a general meat replacement.

First time I had it was at a (now dead) vegan restaurant where they had amazing fake-shrimp. Setian takes in flavours very well, so you can make it chicken and beef replacements (adding tomato paste adds beef flavour, iirc).

It does require practice to perfect, but there are plenty of recipes online for it.

BillerBomber

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I've been wanting to make Seitan but getting my hands on vital wheat gluten during all of this is a pain. But for Americans, or anyone else who has easy access to Bob's Red Mill vital wheat gluten, look into making seitan at home as a general meat replacement.

First time I had it was at a (now dead) vegan restaurant where they had amazing fake-shrimp. Setian takes in flavours very well, so you can make it chicken and beef replacements (adding tomato paste adds beef flavour, iirc).

It does require practice to perfect, but there are plenty of recipes online for it.

I used to use vwg but recently switched to wtf-method (wash the flour). It's flavorwise much better and not that much more work + dirt cheap! All you need is regular flour! 4 cups yield around 2 cups of seitan. There's an amazing fb group called "mangled brains & droopy genitalia" with a lot of methods to make the process as quick and tasteful as possible.

ps: loving this vegan-era stuff

Last edited:

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Note: My experiences extend to the UK and no further

Cheese is a weird one. There are some good "gooey" and "hard" cheeses. For example, Applewood's Smokey one is really good at being a hard cheese, grated and sliced, and melts pretty well if you want it as a filling in something. That said, none of the cheeses "crisp" the same way real cheese does. You never get that slightly toasted top like you would get on a pizza or similar. Its for that reason whenever I try to find a pizza I try to just find a cheese that tastes good, but isn't sticky or anything. Shame though, I really miss that.

Also Jaffa cakes. There aren't any vegan ones at all. Its a fucking travesty.
Yeah, though when I make my own pizza with Violife grated 'mozzarella' i'm pretty happy with the results.

I always check the ingredients whenever I see a shop brand of jaffa cakes just in case... no luck yet.

I've tried both Violife and Applewood's Smokey and I have to say that Smokey's is me and my girlfriends definite favourite and our preferred vegan cheese choice every time. If you want to pick up Smokey's it seems to be only available at Asda whilst Violife is available in nearly all major supermarkets.

I think the thing I miss most is proper seafood equivalent, I enjoy the Linda McCartney Fish Cakes (which help scratch the itch a lot) but I used to love Calamari, Shrimp and other seafood that I can't find any similarities for.

Oct 26, 2017
I still haven't found a good vegetarian/vegan hot dog.

If youre in the UK, look for the "Moving Mountains" hotdog. Particularly if you can find a restaurant serving it. I had to triple check with the staff that it wasn't an actual frankfurter. (On that note their burgers are really good too)

I've tried both Violife and Applewood's Smokey and I have to say that Smokey's is me and my girlfriends definite favourite and our preferred vegan cheese choice every time. If you want to pick up Smokey's it seems to be only available at Asda whilst Violife is available in nearly all major supermarkets.

I think the thing I miss most is proper seafood equivalent, I enjoy the Linda McCartney Fish Cakes (which help scratch the itch a lot) but I used to love Calamari, Shrimp and other seafood that I can't find any similarities for.

For a shrimp replacement, try and get some "Fry's battered prawn-style pieces". They're pretty good with a nice consistency!
frys-2019-vegan-prawn-style-pieces-product-img.png

For fish, I always go for the Gardein Fish fillet. It's £4.50 a bag in sainsburys (expensive), which as 6 pieces. I'd say 3 is the equivalent to a fish fillet that you'd get from the chilled isle. Tastes and feels really good though!

640x640.jpg

You can also get some fake pawns (not battered) and smoked salmon from Sainsburys in the frozen isle, but they weren't to my liking. You might want to give them a go though.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I have still not had Applewood's just because Asda is about the only supermarket that isn't a reasonable distance from me (and it's not on Ocado). I think they have the slices in Sainsbury's now, so will get some on my next visit.

Fry's prawn pieces are okay, but not going to scratch that itch. Had some decent banana blossom / tofu fish, but again, it's not really getting too close. Fish fingers and fishcakes about as good as it gets for now. That 'Good Catch' Tuna at Sainsbury's is okay, but maybe just because I haven't had the real thing for a few years now.

BillerBomber

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

there's a dutch brand called vegan zeastar that you can buy in 'Jumbo' supermarkets in holland & belgium that has some very nice calamari & sashimi. They even have shrimps but never tried those.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Like what has been said, I find the cheeses pretty bad. Like, for how much they cost, and the additives required to get it to look/taste/feel like something it isn't, I usually choose not have cheese in/on my meal at all, steer away from foods that require it (eg pizza).

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I used to use vwg but recently switched to wtf-method (wash the flour). It's flavorwise much better and not that much more work + dirt cheap! All you need is regular flour! 4 cups yield around 2 cups of seitan. There's an amazing fb group called "mangled brains & droopy genitalia" with a lot of methods to make the process as quick and tasteful as possible.

ps: loving this vegan-era stuff

Ooooooh, I'll be saving this to try out later! Thanks!

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'd really dig a nice aged vegan Brie or blue cheese. vegan Gorgonzola, really sharp crumbly cheddar. Mmmm 😋
One can dream.
too bad science will do dull American "cheddar" or tasteless cheese like it first.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steak is pretty much the only thing. That was a rare treat for me though even when I ate meat, so wasn't too hard to drop.

Good cheese can be tricky to find, but I've got used to it.

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda gave up on finding "replacement" vegan foods awhile back.

Only one I long for is a decent melting cheese [Daiya functions OK for nachos].

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if it's just German brands but every chicken replacement has this cardboardy texture here. All these vegan nuggets are terrible imo.
For fish, I always go for the Gardein Fish fillet. It's £4.50 a bag in sainsburys (expensive), which as 6 pieces. I'd say 3 is the equivalent to a fish fillet that you'd get from the chilled isle. Tastes and feels really good though!

640x640.jpg
These look good

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Was reminded of something else today while eating - there's no real vegan replication of the 'richness' that comes from making a soup with meat. Lots of ways to add umami or thicken soups that are vegan, but there's something about the mouthfeel and body of a meat-based soup that's not really found in vegan stuff.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My fiancee has a severe dairy allergy (which is different from lactose intolerance). She has Daiya cheese every now and then and imo it tastes ok when its warmed onto something but it's like utter trash when it's eaten cold. She's always somehow been ok with it cold as well. We've found other speciality DF cheeses at different vegan festivals and farmers markets that were quite good so I knew there had to be a way I can make some cheese at home.

I managed to make one "ricotta", although it came out more of a cream cheese-ish consistency. The recipe I used is from OONI and my fiancee loves it and my whole family loved it as well(they all can eat normal dairy). I'd highly recommend it. It does use almonds so beware if you have a nut allergy.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Yogurt, sour cream and cheese. The trifecta of vegan nightmares

I'm not a vegan but try to buy vegan as much as possible. Can't do it with these three things just yet. Maybe there is an alternative I just haven't discovered yet

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Mostly pastries because of milk and butter. I was never a meat eater in the first place, but boy oh boy do I miss stuff like donuts and cheesecake.

My dude there are some amazing vegan donuts out there. Cheezecake is a little harder to come by but even the frozen Daiya one you can buy at the store is good.

It is very hard to replicate some of the flakiness of a croissant or things of that ilk, though.

I would say it isn't really that I can't find what I want, it's that the convenience factor is gone. I was lucky recently to live in a city where I could easily get vegan bagel sandwiches or vegan donuts or vegan ramen or all sorts of stuff but I moved for work and I basically just eat at the same place over and over again if I don't cook at home.

Oct 28, 2017
My dude there are some amazing vegan donuts out there. Cheezecake is a little harder to come by but even the frozen Daiya one you can buy at the store is good.

It is very hard to replicate some of the flakiness of a croissant or things of that ilk, though.

I would say it isn't really that I can't find what I want, it's that the convenience factor is gone. I was lucky recently to live in a city where I could easily get vegan bagel sandwiches or vegan donuts or vegan ramen or all sorts of stuff but I moved for work and I basically just eat at the same place over and over again if I don't cook at home.
Can confirm there are good vegan cheesecakes

ngower

Nov 20, 2017

I'm not a vegan but try to buy vegan as much as possible. Can't do it with these three things just yet. Maybe there is an alternative I just haven't discovered yet

I recently had a plant based sour cream that was pretty damn close. Brand is forrager.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

I always hated real yogurt but love some vegan ones. Even more so than milk I think the taste of vegan yogurts vary wildly depending on brands and I've definitely found some to suck, but the good ones I like. Ends up being plain coconut based usually.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
When I was vegan, the only thing I actually missed was cheese. I think there's good replacements for just about everything else though

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Not a Vegan but I gave all the Vegan foods a fair shot because I'm planning to become at least Vegetarian at some stage and... Steaks didn't taste like steaks sadly. ;-;

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Anyone tried these cheeses? Apparently good 🤔

AWARD-WINNING VEGAN CHEESE | RIND vegan cheese, Veggie Underground,

Award-winning vegan aged, sliced, shredded and cream cheeses made from vegetables – carrot, red bell pepper and parsnip
I've seen this served up at Riverdel in NY from a Thrillist YouTube video - got positive impressions if the jokey non-veg hosts were being sincere.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm extremely not a blue cheese guy, but I gotta try RIND out when I'm in the area of one of their vendors.