• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Given the problematic nature of the thread title, I've edited the thread title. I was not aware that this was a staple prior, and I have reopened it. Sorry for the mix up. Thanks.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wasn't sure if I should let a mod know this was one of those on going topic threads.

martson2

Dec 18, 2017
Can I ask if the thread title ever got changed on the other site? I only lurked there and don't remember anybody having a problem with the title or content!

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I ask if the thread title ever got changed on the other site? I only lurked there and don't remember anybody having a problem with the title or content!

Considering that same administrator gave me a stupid warning for saying I expect better from somebody with no reference to a site, you might wanna edit this.

Necro? Wouldnt call just over two months between posting a necro, lol

nobody would, especially for a thread like this that doesn't require a constant flow of updates.

that admin also doesn't reply to messages so who knows how they feel.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Okay NOW I'm offended by the title. I demand this thread be gay again, I will not stand for this homophobia.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Please leave feedback in appropriate channels. Don't need to get this thread locked again due to all discussion being about the moderation decision.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

There are a lot of people who will simply say nothing if they feel that their posts will appear to be confrontational. This is especially true of forums where a majority of the members are straight white males. Those minorities will simply post somewhere else. I'm one of those weird people who don't mind being vocal about such issues, though it can be depressing sometimes holding a perspective that only a fraction of the general population shares.

Please leave feedback in appropriate channels. Don't need to get this thread locked again due to all discussion being about the moderation decision.

I agree. Let's move on.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what happens when they continue posting those FIFA gifs?

gay is better than funny in that case?

I'll leave it alone but that's eh.

And like I've said, I've messaged that same admin twice for different reasons with no response so I'm assuming she's not open for discussing any of her decisions

martson2

Dec 18, 2017
There are a lot of people who will simply say nothing if they feel that their posts will appear to be confrontational. This is especially true of forums where a majority of the members are straight white males. Those minorities will simply post somewhere else. I'm one of those weird people who don't mind being vocal about such issues, though it can be depressing sometimes holding a perspective that only a fraction of the general population shares.

I mean I am a straight white male and I didn't have any problem with the previous title to be honest. I understood the reference from the previous thread but maybe I can understand people being offended if they didn't know the context of the thread.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
brainchild : not to antagonize you, but please do note that casting everyone that don't agree with you as "straight white males" is... well, let's just say it's not correct, either on the old site or this site. If you're alone against everyone, it might not be because of your sexual orientation. Just think about it.

Moreover, as I was saying, the sole reason I found this thread fun was because it lampshaded the machismo culture of soccer fans. Now that aspect has been scrapped because it triggered you, that's gone.
I'm not sure I'm quite comfortable with the idea that "it's problematic to call "gay" gifs where two male soccer players were performing very explicit sexual acts on each other". You're just making the word "gay" invisible "because it may sound insensitive" but it really just makes the gay word and the gay meaning of this thread invisible. I thought we had left this kind of attitudes in the 90's... Guess "Don't ask, don't tell" is back!

This thread will go from "let's make fun of the toxic masculinity in sports game" to "let's make fun of bad game developers that aren't capable of optimising a game they're forced to release on super short notice to appease their EA overlords". Not exactly a progress.
Unwatching now, have fun.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's not a crime to ask a question and reference some other site. I wasn't trying to be antagonistic it was a genuine query because I couldn't understand why anybody would have a problem with the title.

Oh, I know. I was just letting you know because I got a warning for bringing up off site thing without even referencing and the same admin was in here.

Just didn't want you to catch a warning over something dumb is all since I never got a clarification.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
brainchild : not to antagonize you, but please do note that casting everyone that don't agree with you as "straight white males" is... well, let's just say it's not correct, either on the old site or this site. If you're alone against everyone, it might not be because of your sexual orientation. Just think about it.

Moreover, as I was saying, the sole reason I found this thread fun was because it lampshaded the machismo culture of soccer fans. Now that aspect has been scrapped because it triggered you, that's gone.
I'm not sure I'm quite comfortable with the idea that "it's problematic to call "gay" gifs where two male soccer players were performing very explicit sexual acts on each other". You're just making the word "gay" invisible "because it may sound insensitive" but it really just makes the gay word and the gay meaning of this thread invisible. I thought we had left this kind of attitudes in the 90's... Guess "Don't ask, don't tell" is back!

This thread will go from "let's make fun of the toxic masculinity in sports game" to "let's make fun of bad game developers that aren't capable of optimising a game they're forced to release on super short notice to appease their EA overlords". Not exactly a progress.
Unwatching now, have fun.

Never did I say or suggest that anyone who disagrees with my opinions on LGBTQ issues is a straight white male. We have plenty of disagreements in the LGBTQ community. Disagreement isn't the problem. It's about handling certain topics of discussion with appropriate sensitivity.

If you want to blame me for taking your enjoyment of this thread away from you because I found aspects of it to be problematic, then I don't know what to say.

I am NOT alone on these issues. Several people have sent me private messages acknowledging my concerns in many cases. Just because I'm the only one that speaks up, it doesn't mean I'm the only one who has a problem with this. Anyway, send me a PM if you want to discuss this further. I have plenty to address there anyway.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this community is already so harsh that people feel threatened to speak up, then it's no better than the rest of the Internet. That's quite sad. I hoped it would go better here.

And sorry, not particularly interested in engaging with your world views.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
and with that title change i now present my favorite game glitch gif

g51mR0L.gif

Nosgotham

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Wait why the he'll is the thread title changed? Ok now it's a different thread. Is gay an offensive word now? Wth era

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The title change doesnt match any of the content in the thread, whats the point of leaving it open. The FIFA glitches were funny because of the obviously unintended sexual aspect of the gifs, and the gayness was a side effect from the male only videogame. Might as well close the thread and ask anyone interested in "funny glitches" to make something new.

I find it hard to believe you cannot have this kind of content on ERA as the policing of feelings seems extreme, but so be it at least make the full statement by leaving the thing locked

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread title has been updated to better reflect the content within while going w/ something less direct than "Gay Glitches".

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol yeah cuz grindr is way less direct

if we can't have gay, what do you propose? this thread was for very specific glitches. i'm down for whatever as long as the thread itself doesn't change since it's not a malicious thread at all.

Most of the delay on updating the title was due to internal brainstorming for a title that was both better and wasn't NSFW. :-P

tbh, for all my complaining, i didn't even come up with an alternative, lol. glad you all settled on one.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that soccer is traditionally very macho and homophobic only makes this thread more valuable. These glitches simply highlight the weird cult of masculinity of some soccer fans in colourful and hilarious ways.

Just have to add in case anyone doesn't know, this was the core message of gay fifa glitches. While funny, it was gay culture inclusive and a small nod to normalisation in a mens sport rampant with homophobia.

Gay fifa glitches wasn't derogatory or homophobic. That wasn't the intent.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Do you actually play or watch soccer?

There's definitely a significant amount of homophobia in many countries' soccer programs / fanbases, and FIFA does not protect sexual orientation as a class.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41474944

Argentina were fined 75,000 Swiss francs (ÂŁ58,127) for two incidents, while Chile were fined 35,000 Swiss francs (ÂŁ27,000) having been punished for homophobic chanting on eight previous occasions during the past two years. Chile had also received a stadium ban during that period.

The other countries disciplined by Fifa include Brazil, Ecuador, Mexico and Panama, while European side Hungary were fined for alleged homophobic chanting that occurred during September's match at home to Portugal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...tical-homophobia-made-offence-2018-world-cup/

Fifa's disciplinary code specifically outlaws abuse concerning race, colour, language, religion or origin, with any breaches by spectators punished with a fine of at least ÂŁ23,000 for the relevant national association, with ejection from the World Cup the ultimate sanction.

But there is no mention of abuse due to sexual orientation, with Fifa having fined the Brazilian, Argentine and Mexican football associations over homophobic chants, using the offence of improper conduct, which has no such minimum tariff.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up playing football, being a pretty decent player, playing some semi-pro and yes, it is a very macho straight dude sport. Always has been and probably always will be unfortunately.

More on topic, I didn't see the need to change the title but each to their own. Now I just don't get it. What's the "grindr" thing all about? Is it an American thing?

I just want to point out this wasn't a general game glitch thread either. I hope it doesn't turn into one. That would be boring.

Thread should've just been called what it used to be imo. It was always a good laugh. You can tell from most of the responses.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely a significant amount of homophobia in many countries' soccer programs / fanbases, and FIFA does not protect sexual orientation as a class.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41474944

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...tical-homophobia-made-offence-2018-world-cup/

I actually just meant to bold the "very macho" part. I'm not denying there's homophobia and racism in soccer, but I've never thought of it as a particularly macho or testosterone heavy sport. Google defines macho as "showing aggressive pride in one's masculinity which isn't what I get when I read about some racist or homophobic incident int he sport

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
GrindrGlitches lol

I saw nothing wrong with the old title, gay male here.

You have one specific person complaining because they think that someone out there might think that these are funny because they are gay because they think being gay is funny. Like, no one did anything offensive. They just might be thinking something offensive. Despite having the intent explained, even by other gay people, because it was clear to other people, and instead of just going, oh okay I get that the intent wasn't what I thought it was; I won't stick to my previous assumption because there's no reason to.

Like no they're funny because they're sexual and out of place, and even more so because given they are sports games, when the glitches happen they always do with such enthusiasm, it's even better.

Nobody here thinks "sex is funny" or "making out is funny." It's the disconnect and clear unintention going in here that is funny.

Grindr in this instance just means gay again so I don't understand the point of the title change.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you actually play or watch soccer?

what does that have to do with its fanbase?

I actually just meant to bold the "very macho" part. I'm not denying there's homophobia and racism in soccer, but I've never thought of it as a particularly macho or testosterone heavy sport. Google defines macho as "showing aggressive pride in one's masculinity which isn't what I get when I read about some racist or homophobic incident int he sport

oh, okay.

maybe get your posts and argument down before trying to start shit, bro.