• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I am debating getting this jaw droppingly expensive 1tb drive for my series X because I have ms store credit.

Is it worth it? Is it overly expensive for what it is ? I assume waiting would be just offer higher storage for even more money....or less for less mulah as well. Or will there be MUCH cheaper and better options? I dont know the tech nor plans well enough to decide.

Thanks.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just use an SSD external drive, and transfer games when needed. 100gb transfers in like 4 minutes.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
it's not overly expensive for what it is, but it's still costly.

do you NEED it now? then if you can afford it go for it

but I believe MS has already confirmed there will be third party options available at some point. as high speed SSDs start getting cheaper I'm sure their MSRP for a 1TB will come down as well. around the time the 2TB drives are hitting that kinda pricing.

you may be able to get an equivalent external SSD + enclosure for cheaper. just depends on how much you wanna be running those games off useable SSD rather than keeping more XSX games in cold storage.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It works as advertised.

It's up to you if you're willing to pay the money, but it's not very overpriced for the type of storage offered.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Seagate (I think that's who it is) has timed exclusivity on developing the expansion cards, but once that's done, it's just a CFExpress SSD so there will likely be a lot more manufacturers for the SSD expansions as time goes on

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I am debating getting this jaw droppingly expensive 1tb drive for my series X because I have ms store credit.

Is it worth it? Is it overly expensive for what it is ? I assume waiting would be just offer higher storage for even more money....or less for less mulah as well. Or will there be MUCH cheaper and better options? I dont know the tech nor plans well enough to decide.

Thanks.

I am in the same boat...I have a $150 Amazon card. Looking at either an expansion card or saving it for when my next Elite 2 is needed.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm glad I bought one but I was committed to getting the most out of my Series X, regardless of the absurd price. If I had bought a Series S, I'd be pretty pissed that it's borderline essential and drives the total cost up so drastically.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Stupidly expensive. I think it'd be way better to grab a high capacity USB drive and rotate games in and out through it.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I just have a 5tb external drive that I plan to move games on and off of as I want to play them. It seems like games move fairly quickly (maybe around 10 minutes) and this will be fine for me until larger/cheaper expansion options are available.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Works as intended for me and honestly worth it for the price. You can't beat those sweet sweet load times and it's a nice integration.

Oct 29, 2017
For me, Im good using my external HDD right now. It can play old XBox games, and XBox One games I'm not concerned with getting an upgrade on.

That said, I got about 100 GB free one week after launch between games I play all the time that I want that Series X enhancement, and the games that I've gotten on launch week. (I love pain, and picked up both NBA 2k21 AND COD Call War.... I adore that COD lets you pick and choose what to install!)

I would LOVE the external drive, but at $219 + tax, that's more than halfway to a PS5 DE (which I want and do not have). In short, it'll be some time before I get it, but I'll absolutely get it at some point... hopefully after a price drop.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
It's not crazy for what it is, but do you really need one now? A usb sata based ssd can house all your one X games for a lot less and still have fantastic loads if that's your plan.
If you just want more space for series games, then it's a no-brainer

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Seagate (I think that's who it is) has timed exclusivity on developing the expansion cards, but once that's done, it's just a CFExpress SSD so there will likely be a lot more manufacturers for the SSD expansions as time goes on
Wait timed exclusivity on SSD? Is this actually real?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
There's not a great deal to discuss to be honest. It does exactly what it says on the tin.

I bought it and it just extends your internal SSD by 920GB or so. It appears as it's own device (so you can install there specifically or move games to it for hotswapping with other consoles) but, essentially, it does everything 1:1 that the internal SSD can do. And it's actually marginally bigger than the internal space because it doesn't have the OS installed to it and doesn't have any space reserved for Quick Resume etc.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
My thoughts are I love it so much that I wish I had the same option for my other new console. Simple and easy to install and use. And most importantly - readily available for purchase from day 1.

Feb 1, 2018
I'll wait for a $99 512GB version

Until then, im using a leftover 512gb m2 sata drive inside a USB enclosure. Works fine for BC and XB1 games

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
It works as advertised and adds a lot of convenience. It's nice having 1720GB (usable) of the fastest storage possible. Not much else to say about it.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
It's exactly what it is so it pretty much comes down to whether you can afford it or not. I can't remember the exact quote or article, but I could have sworn I read something about other 3rd party drives being possible in the future outside of just Seagate.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
I am not interested in it for that price. So for now, I'll limp along on an external 5400 for cold-storage.

Also wondering if the internal m.2 2230 will be user-replaceable with some hackery.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I bought it when it was 15% off at target a while back. Works great, like having 919gb extra in storage. If you have two series x machines it seems relatively easy to move the card between them as it's about the size of a ps2 memory card.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
A Waste, Imo. I bought 500gb SD a few months ago that I used in my PS4 Pro up until now and just repurposed it for X for Back compat games. Overall cost me about $70 for the SSD and the Sabrent USB Cable.

I can't imagine having enough games to fill up both the internal and the SSD with games that I genuinely will be playing in rotation, so the expansion is way overpriced at the moment.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd get it if it wasn't so expensive, I like having more space so I don't have to continuously uninstall/re-install my games.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's too expensive for me to consider right now, the value proposition just isn't there, especially when I don't really care for the portability and would actually prefer double the size or a much cheaper price and bigger drive instead, whether external or internal.

I will however get it eventually, probably on a Black Friday deal a year from now or whatever.

chocnut

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I have one and it's essential (but a total ripoff). Thankfully the series x was cheaper than I had initially budgeted for.

Sony look like clowns with their 600gb on a next gen machine tbh.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I'd wait for the price to drop myself. I just don't see the urgent need for expansion for the X at this time. If I had a X and needed to expand day one I would have just bought a X for the extra money.

Sundrowned

Oct 27, 2017
MN
My thoughts are I love it so much that I wish I had the same option for my other new console. Simple and easy to install and use. And most importantly - readily available for purchase from day 1.

Right there with you. I'm very happy I decided to pick one up day one. Not having something similar available for PS5 certainly affects where I choose to play games, among other factors.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It really comes down to you asking yourself how many Series X enhanced games you want at the ready without having to transfer them from external storage? If you are bouncing between several games and you used up almost all the room and don't want to wait to move them out of internal to external then it fits 100% perfect for you.

I have one and love it. I also have a 4tb USB SSD attached for storage of Xbox One, 360 and OG Games. All my Series X enhanced games are loaded on the Expansion and/or Internal.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
I just use an SSD external drive, and transfer games when needed. 100gb transfers in like 4 minutes.

Yeah currently doesn't seem worth it, I'm also using a USB external SSD and the transfer times are really fast.

Mid/late gen when we all need more space for Series S/X only games then it probably will be a worthwhile buy. Will hopefully also be cheaper then.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Loaded up the internal on day one with all the games I already had installed that became Series X Optimized. The expansion card has 1 game on it currently but it's the default for new Optimized games until I finish up the other games I'm playing.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you can afford it, I recommend it.
I wish it was 2TB, or that there was a second expansion slot in the back.. but for now it's good.

I wish I could do the same to my PS5. Microsoft's implementation is absolutely perfect.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I ended up buying one for my Series S but I didn't pay full price so that definitely helped in my decision to get it over just using and external SSD for transferring.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'd personally nab one of these for now, and buy the expansion drive in the future.

20-147-644-Z01.jpg

Linkeds2

Nov 15, 2017
North Bay, CA
External SSDs are a much better value than the seagate card.

But as of the current environment. The 1tb card is priced appropriately for its purpose and competitors

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm holding off for a 2tb model. I have actually been surprised by how much I've been able to store in internal storage as is. Downloaded a bunch of gamepass stuff, installed my AC disc, and still have space. Though I moved 360 games I downloaded to a regular external drive

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expensive and for me not worth it for the convenience. Just get a cheap usb hdd and move stuff around.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
On Xbox Series, external USB 3.1 SSD offers *identical* game load speeds for XB1 and back-compat as the internal drive. External USB 3.1 platter drives are slower, but honestly not too bad (and still support Quick Resume).

Get an external SSD to dump last-gen content. And/or dig up an old external platter drive to back up, like, your Xbox 360 games. Unlike PS5, Xbox Series does *not* limit the number of drives you can attach. I would argue that you can get by with the 1TB of internal storage for Series-exclusive games for at least the next six months, then wait for those Seagate drives to go down in price (or other drives to show up).

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I grabbed a 2TB external NVME and enclosure for the same price. Running all Xbox One (and BC) games off that. Once you count those out, not a huge deal to use internal space.