• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are crushing me with these City of Heroes recommendations :(

Bombadil

Oct 25, 2017
Near the Withywindle river
Lord of the Rings Online is F2P for the most part. It's probably my favourite interpretation of Middle-earth, full of quests and lore. The community is also very friendly and eager to help out newer players. The gameplay is a bit stiff, though. There is also a new LotR MMO in the works but there's very little information on it.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
So if I want to try the game the best option would be to buy the base game and later if I'm interested get the sub? This way the only missing content would be the last dlc? Also, there is no free trial at the moment right?

They run free trials every now and then, not sure if there's one right now., but yes, buy the base game and try it out before getting a sub. Sub is mostly great for the DLC and crafting bag that saves a ton of storage space, but isn't required.

Here's a great site to check if you do end up playing it with a bunch of guides for beginners and other useful info.

https://alcasthq.com/

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Oct 28, 2017
I would enjoy ESO way more if the latency wasnt absolutely atrocious.
320 minimum because fuck having servers anywhere near Australia.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thing is... Dungeons aren't endgame for GW2. They haven't been in ages.

Fractals and Raids are the actual endgame.

Which both benefit from players specializing.

I was thinking precisely of fractals when I posted that (they're, well, dungeons, for all intents and purposes). As I mentioned, I stopped playing around 2014-2015 and fractals were the hot thing (raids didn't exist yet), so I assumed newer dungeons would follow the same model.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
A) The story picks up right around where you quit. Compared to virtually every other MMO which has almost no story whatsoever.
B) FF14 has like, the LEAST kill X quests in the critical path of any MMO. If you mainline the story you barely have to do anything besides poke around and watch cutscenes. They keep nerfing the XP requirements at those levels too, so you don't have to do any sidequests.
C) LOL? To complain about those two things and recommend swtor to me is ludicrous. SWTOR 100% wow clone with some ok stories, some bad ones, and 2 good ones, and literally ONLY kill quests, which you ahve to subscribe to avoid.

A: It was picking up around the beach area, then it wanted me to do more quests just for padding reasons.I'm a champion but I have to get you wine and foof to prove myself? Jog on NPC. I figured it would get better as you got closer to 50, but at that point, I was tired of the amount of time I wasted. And notice how I recommended MMO's with storytelling at their core.
B: It has less kill quests and more running from point to point to get tiny tidbits of story. XP nerfing seems like it was after my time.
C: The complaint I originally stated was FFXIV does a poor job of making me care about kill quests or explain why I'm doing it properly. SWTOR does this better. Of the story that I played of both, TOR was more enticing and has far greater pacing. And my other joint favourite MMO is wow so I ain't knocking it for that.[/QUOTE]

Reader

Oct 27, 2017
I recently swapped from WoW to FFXIV. WoW would have been the recommendation from me if it were still in Legion, but the new expansion has been... A real lackluster for me. And you already stated that you did not enjoy WoW. I think ESO would be the game for you. It has voice acted quests so it feels like playing a Elder Scrolls game. I tried to get into it, but I don't find it fun. There's also the Star Wars MMO that also has thousands of voice acted quests so that might be worth looking into. And uhh, FF XIV is really fun for me right now. Loads and loads and loads of single player content. Great story, graphics, and more.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
You should play Warframe.

*Cue the rolling thunder sound of a thousand people furiously typing out that Warframe isn't an MMO*

Warframe scratches pretty much every itch you might want to have scratched by a traditional MMO, and arguably plays better than basically all of them. There's an enormous amount of content, it's super easy to jump into, and it's also totally, fantastically, truly free. Dipping your toes in to see if you like it before jumping into one of the other games is your best bet here.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
ESO, hands down. Combat in all other MMORPGs is hot garbage once you've played it. The game actually takes and rewards skill. There are no cooldowns. Also, steady content delivery and your choice of three platforms to play on. All playerbases are healthy, but generally PS4>PC>>>Xbox in terms of population, so consider that when choosing. I imagine we'll get cross platform next gen anyway, so platform choice won't matter so much.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
  • Do you want one of the best stories in an MMO (and one of the better ones in any Final Fantasy Game?): FFXIV
  • Do you want Skyrim but with other people that you can group upwith: Elder Scrolls Online
  • Do you want to mess around with a character creator for hours, then obliterate mobs: Champions Online
  • Do you want less options than the above, but meet up with a bunch of DC characters: DC Universe Online
  • Do you like Sci-Fi, and want an awesome space combat system: Star Trek Online (on-foot is rough, although it got better a few years ago)
  • Do you like quick pick-up-and-play for a mission or two, and like D&D tropes: Neverwinter (DDO is hard to recommend nowadays, and is slow going, so Neverwinter is the better of the 2 D&D MMOs)
  • Do you want to play something more akin to a classical MMO, but still with a ton of lore and interesting classes: Lord of the Rings Online
  • Do you not care about playing with other players, and just want to go through an epic story in a connected world?: The Old Republic (Subscribe for 1 month, just do the main storyline/class quest missions. Consider playing a Imperial Agent, Bounty Hunter, or Republic Commando over any force users)

All of the above are free to play other than the first 2 in some form.

Rhaya

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if the concept of playing with other people is so off putting in an MMO i think MMo's are just not for you .

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Ah okay.

And is there a correct version of the game for the PS4 to buy? Like do they sell it with all of the expansions?
There's a $60 package that includes the base game and current expansions on sale for $35 this week on psn. Just be aware a new expansion is coming out in July so you can either buy the discounted bundle this week + the new $40 expansion later on if you make it that far in the story or pay $60 for everything in July.

You could also just download the trial to see if the game clicks with you, buy the base game (called starter edition) for $20 if it does, and if you want to keep playing after finishing the base game you can buy the new expansion (it includes access to the older expansions) in July.

I'd recommend the trial route just cause 98% of the expansion content is locked behind the story campaign and the base game story is a slog to get through till you reach the second climax on the tail end of the base game. It's not uncommon for new people to bail on the game before then or shortly after just cause of how rough it is reaching that point in the game. If you're enjoying it through the trial or see enough good to want to keep going, it only goes up from there.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
So if I want to try the game the best option would be to buy the base game and later if I'm interested get the sub? This way the only missing content would be the last dlc? Also, there is no free trial at the moment right?
That's what I'd do, yes. The base game lacks access to the Chapters (the big summer expansions) and the quartlery DLC, but you can buy them all individually as and when you please if you want to remain F2P, or a subscription will get you access to all the DLC, and the first Chapter - Morrowind. The Morrowind Chapter was made a subscription feature shortly after the 2nd Chapter, Summerset, released last year. So I think it's a safe bet that Summerset will also become "free" to subscribers shortly after Elsweyr launches a month from now.

The free ESO+ trial is on right now, until 6th May, but you still need to own a copy of the base game (super cheap these days). You can access it from in-game so you don't even need to sign up with any credit card details =)

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
They run free trials every now and then, not sure if there's one right now., but yes, buy the base game and try it out before getting a sub. Sub is mostly great for the DLC and crafting bag that saves a ton of storage space, but isn't required.

Here's a great site to check if you do end up playing it with a bunch of guides for beginners and other useful info.

https://alcasthq.com/

That's what I'd do, yes. The base game lacks access to the Chapters (the big summer expansions) and the quartlery DLC, but you can buy them all individually as and when you please if you want to remain F2P, or a subscription will get you access to all the DLC, and the first Chapter - Morrowind. The Morrowind Chapter was made a subscription feature shortly after the 2nd Chapter, Summerset, released last year. So I think it's a safe bet that Summerset will also become "free" to subscribers shortly after Elsweyr launches a month from now.

The free ESO+ trial is on right now, until 6th May, but you still need to own a copy of the base game (super cheap these days). You can access it from in-game so you don't even need to sign up with any credit card details =)

Thanks guys!

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
But wow bfa and start with the free level 110 character they give you, if you play alliance you get a very medieval fantasy experience.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
There's a $60 package that includes the base game and current expansions on sale for $35 this week on psn. Just be aware a new expansion is coming out in July so you can either buy the discounted bundle this week + the new $40 expansion later on if you make it that far in the story or pay $60 for everything in July.

You could also just download the trial to see if the game clicks with you, buy the base game (called starter edition) for $20 if it does, and if you want to keep playing after finishing the base game you can buy the new expansion (it includes access to the older expansions) in July.

I'd recommend the trial route just cause 98% of the expansion content is locked behind the story campaign and the base game story is a slog to get through till you reach the second climax on the tail end of the base game. It's not uncommon for new people to bail on the game before then or shortly after just cause of how rough it is reaching that point in the game. If you're enjoying it through the trial or see enough good to want to keep going, it only goes up from there.
Thank you!

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd echo people saying Final Fantasy XIV. The game isn't perfect but it's the best MMO on the market.

Guild Wars 2 is good unless you want long sustained endgame. Best leveling experience of any MMO and a neat Western-style universe, with a larger variety of PC races and classes compared to the competition, beautiful art and music, and good solo play.

I would hesitate to recommend any of the other MMOs right now. World of Warcraft in particular is a shell of its old self, with cratering subs and, after the ability pruning, abysmal combat.

I mean, the issue with ESO is that it's flat out a bad game. So...

The combat is really awful in ESO. I think some of the ideas are interesting but the combat is a dealbreaker, it's worse than Skyrim, which was a low bar.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
ESO is free to play, so worth checking out any time of the year, not just during their ESO+ free trials. If you enjoy it, an ESO+ sub gets you access to all the DLC zones up to the most recent big Chapter (yearly expansion).

The primary reasons ESO is so good, and does better than all the competition:
  • New content released every 3 months. Dungeon packs every 1st and 3rd quarter, small new zone every 4th quarter, big expansion every 2nd quarter (Elsweyr this year).
  • Designed to be played solo, with optional group content. Very story focused as a result, with everything fully voice acted, and lots of dialogue options and multiple quest endings.
  • Level cap is never raised. Your end game gear will never be made redundant by a new expansion. Instead, new gear is made attractive through unique set piece bonuses which alter gameplay and visual styles for fashion.
EDIT: Also, no anime here:

459a81df28822cfa877c23901883f4ac.jpg

6ad9d31408ad337863fbfedc7ba697c9.jpg

wRna3sJPGCj3AYgYGNAubB-1200-80.jpg
ESO almost sounds like Guild Wars 2

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
ESO no questions. It's loaded with content, tons of players, very solo friendly and they pump our new content pretty frequently.

Fresco Vivir

Apr 12, 2018
Well black desert online is fun and you don't have to pay subscription and there are tons of things to do such as hiring workers to do stuff for you , doing a business through trading and enhancing gears.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the OP's question I'd go with ESO.
I've tried to get into FFVIX several times but I could never stick with it.
I still believe WoW is the best MMO though, there's nothing that captures me like WoW can. If you can get over the art style, I'd give it another chance.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I find FF14s combat to be a bit slow and boring, what would you all suggest?
Wow is similar but a bit faster paced, but mostly I'd suggest you level up more in FF.

Every other MMO is either a variation of the same 'style' of combat (GW2, WoW, heck even everquest to a point) or is legitimately bad (ESO combat, every korean MMO in every area besides combat, etc).

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Wow is similar but a bit faster paced, but mostly I'd suggest you level up more in FF.

Every other MMO is either a variation of the same 'style' of combat (GW2, WoW, heck even everquest to a point) or is legitimately bad (ESO combat, every korean MMO in every area besides combat, etc).
True, i'm only just not finishing Heavensward but I think I am more like this because I play a WHM mainly then BLM and PLD and those aren't super dynamic at my level.

OP
OP

Deleted member 34132

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Ok, I started ESO on Saturday and I think this is exactly the game I was looking for. The look and the feel of the great and to my surprise this really plays different than the other Elder Scrolls games and I even like the combat.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
ESO almost sounds like Guild Wars 2
It took a ton of design queues from GW2.

Op I still recommend guild wars 2 if you ever want to try another after ESO. I think that while it's leveling and questing doesn't quite have the presentation and single player game feel that ESO has, gw2 has much better combat and a great community and tons of worthwhile group content that you can join in on by just stumbling across events and world bosses. It's also has a much cheaper buy in than eso if you want all the expansions/dlc.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Honestly if the concept of playing with other people is so off putting in an MMO i think MMo's are just not for you .

I dunno. MMOs scratch an RPG itch strangely neglected by even the biggest singleplayer RPGs. There's actually very few open world, third person RPGs with character creation and customization out there. It's one of the biggest reasons I stay playing them despite not caring either way about the multiplayer.

Skyrim, Dragon Age Inquisition, and Dragon's Dogma are the most recent, really.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
World of Warcraft is a great polished casual and solo play friendly MMORPG right now. It has mind blowing amount of content to explore and Blizzard writing is filled with their signature charm and humor. I tried most popular MMOs and none of them can fill the void that I feel when I take breaks from WoW. I don't want to offend fans of other MMOs, but every other MMO feels soulless. There is just something special about WoW that makes it stand out from the pack.

I love Blizzard art style, too bad you didn't, OP.

There is also WoW Classic coming out this summer. You will be able to play 2 very different WoW games for 1 subscription fee.

OP
OP

Deleted member 34132

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
It took a ton of design queues from GW2.

Op I still recommend guild wars 2 if you ever want to try another after ESO. I think that while it's leveling and questing doesn't quite have the presentation and single player game feel that ESO has, gw2 has much better combat and a great community and tons of worthwhile group content that you can join in on by just stumbling across events and world bosses. It's also has a much cheaper buy in than eso if you want all the expansions/dlc.

Already downloaded and waiting to be tested.

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't recommend anything other than FFXIV and GW2. WoW at this point is a very hollow experience, especially gameplay-wise.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
FFXIV. Twitch Key and Heavensward (First Expansion) are free right now and if you invest in Shadowbringers you get the next two expansions and a +30% EXP earring.

I've heard ESO is good but FFXIV is making entry really easy right now.