• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Would say FF14 but no anime. It's got a story focus and most of it is a solo experience besides the required dungeon to advance the story. It's by far the best mainline FF since 11 and probably the best story in a looooong time for FF. 1 character can be any job, every job has its own story quests, and there's a ton of optional other side quests with a ton of story, most solo-able.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you define as "Anime" but like most have said, FFXIV is arguably the best mmo on the market right now. But if that's too anime for you I can recommend Guild Wars 2.

If you do cave in and decide to go full anime though, Tera Rising has excellent action combat (fair warning it does not shy away from fan service) and the same goes for Blade and Soul (also fair warning for gigantic tits and massive doses of fan service). I will say though, that Blade and Soul has a surprisingly good story and production values if you can look beyond the fan service.

Last edited:

whistleklik

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
MMORPGs are a thing of the past all that is left are remnants. ESO is pretty good. You can use whatever weapon and various abilities that you want. I have a dual wielding werewolf archer orc and its pretty fun. FF14 isnt really a good choice if you want to solo. They straight up force you to do dungeons in that game. I also hate how they force you to go through mountains of irrelevant content to get to the next expansion pack. I heard they had a pay pass now but that is just complete garbage. The new WoW expansion is a turd so you dont want to play this one. Not sure how they dug this grave especially after legion was them returning to form kind of. I can't really think of anything else out there. Like I said earlier the genre is pretty much in its grave and buried.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I also think there are other MMOs that are even more solo friendly and I guess it's a personal pet peeve that FFXIV is frequently recommended for this kind of playstyle when it's not really so straightforward.

Even as someone who doesn't mind grouping up, I do roll my eyes a bit each time I have to halt my story progress and decide if tonight is a night where I want to read up on and attempt a new trial or not.
Just because you have to SEE another person doesn't mean you have to like, speak to them or do anything. Just queueing alone into a dungeon does not diminish the fact that you're playing through it by yourself.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It always looked cool but I always gave it the side eye because it came from pay to win gaming land. Korea has good gaming talent I wish they wouldn't focus so much on the MTs, etc. I was thinking of giving it a whirl since it's free on game pass.

Its the most deep and detailed MMO you can find at the moment.
It is p2w if you care to be the best of the best, if you dont then the p2w:ness doesnt matter.
It is "only 10$" but I would say its more like 60$, like any game because getting 5 pets is really needed at higher level to get the loot for you, unless you are fine killing few monsters and looting them longer than it took to kill them.

It have 7 day free trial so I recommend to try it, I think its the best MMO that is out there right now.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Been reading through this thread and I'm thinking I might pick up ESO at some point soon.

I play a lot of GW2, and I do want to emphasize that there is much more of a trinity now than there was at launch, certain elite classes introduced in the expansions are clearly designed to be more suited to healing (druid, firebrand, tempest, etc) or tanking (chronomancer, firebrand) and then of course dps with certain classes being well suited to power damage and others for conditions/DoTs. It still definitely has a relatively light endgame, but its way better than it was 2012-2014. Unfortunately in the free portion of the game you wont see that though.

One thing that surprised me about gw2 is the sheer volume of voice acting compared to what I played of FFXIV. There's so much ambient dialogue on top of all the story scenes and it really helps sell the world.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can never recommend FFXIV because of the godawful starting experience with an incredibly uninteresting story and no attempt of adding spice to fetch or kill quests. I quit somewhere in the mid 30s. But people laud it for the later expansions and it seems you have a tolerance of that sort of thing, so you could probably push through.

I remember liking what I played of The Old Republic and Elder Scrolls Online. Good solo experiences with a focus on storytelling.

But I want to pour one out for the joint best MMO I've played, Wildstar. How you will be missed, sweet prince.
A) The story picks up right around where you quit. Compared to virtually every other MMO which has almost no story whatsoever.
B) FF14 has like, the LEAST kill X quests in the critical path of any MMO. If you mainline the story you barely have to do anything besides poke around and watch cutscenes. They keep nerfing the XP requirements at those levels too, so you don't have to do any sidequests.
C) LOL? To complain about those two things and recommend swtor to me is ludicrous. SWTOR 100% wow clone with some ok stories, some bad ones, and 2 good ones, and literally ONLY kill quests, which you ahve to subscribe to avoid.

GW2 is a good game, but it really lacks for interesting content imo. Everything expects you to grind. It's a game that has an economy llike an F2P game and it has the least respect for your time of any of these games. Yeah, you can beat the story pretty quickly and enjoy that, but it's not like the stories are actually particularly good, and you won't evne get the whole thing without shelling out cash (any 'seasons' you misse,d you have to buy, which is where all of the actual plot takes place, and the expansions barely make sense if you don't do this content). Beyond that, it's all just a chase for looking better, dyes, etc, but the economy and scarcity push you very much into 'grind forever, or pay real money for gems for this stuff' for most of the cool items. Every holiday event is just a huge grind to get the cool reward at the end. Every single thing in the game is a grind beyond just playing through the story.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Play as a Human in Guild Wars 2. Their starting area is more medieval compared to the other races. I haven't played in years but I can't recommend GW2 enough. There's more attention to detail in it than any other game I've ever played. It's really good and I think is now free to try.

Oct 25, 2017
Answer is FF14 but if you don't like anime-ish style...

Does this look interesting to you, if no then FF14 isn't for you

Last edited:

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Just because you have to SEE another person doesn't mean you have to like, speak to them or do anything. Just queueing alone into a dungeon does not diminish the fact that you're playing through it by yourself.

It does a bit, though, since those other people are relying on you to not suck and I've heard many people unfamiliar with MMOs expressing how they want to check out FFXIV for an approximated singleplayer FF kind of deal. Grouping with people online may bring about anxieties not entirely related to talking with them.

For whatever reason, though, people stil suggest FFXIV as a great singleplayer experience for these cases when it just ain't.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
FFXIV is by far the best answer.

WoW is imo in a horrible spot right now. Black Desert is a pointless grinders dream come true with typical korean MMO clusterfuck of an UI. Guild Wars 2 is also pretty solid and it's easy to just play a tiny bit at a time.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
It does a bit, though, since those other people are relying on you to not suck and I've heard many people unfamiliar with MMOs expressing how they want to check out FFXIV for an approximated singleplayer FF kind of deal. Grouping with people online may bring about anxieties not entirely related to talking with them.

For whatever reason, though, people stil suggest FFXIV as a great singleplayer experience for these cases when it just ain't.

Yeah, ESO is a much better solo experience compared to FF14. People saying FF14 is the best solo experience have clearly never played ESO.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I used to have those anxieties, but playing as a DPS class basically mitigates all of them. I've heard some people sass tanks who don't already know dungeon routes, and healers have a lot on their shoulders, but DPS can play the game as they play it alone. If anything dungeons are easier for them, since they ideally won't be taking damage.

People shouldn't recommend the game for solo players without putting in that "if you play DPS" caveat, though.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
SWTOR has hundreds of hours of if you play each of the class stories and then the expansions and it's very solo friendly. The story has full voice acting for everything and dialogue choices during the cutscenes.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Agreed that if you want the solo experience with XIV, it's best to play as DPS. You can kinda just wing your way through most of the 1-50 content, until you get to the hardest stuff and have to start helping out the group, but by then I'm assuming you'll feel comfortable enough to start branching out a bit.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Old school Runescape is very medieval fantasy. Everything also has 2 polygons, so might be too cartoony.

Lmao at straight FFXIV recommendations. Every MMO thread no matter the criteria.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Yeah, ESO is a much better solo experience compared to FF14. People saying FF14 is the best solo experience have clearly never played ESO.

Yeah, there's no comparison. Once you hit about level 20 in FFXIV you're forced to group up in order to play through the main storyline and when you get to about 50 you'll have to join a raid in order to finish it. That was not a pleasant experience as most people won't wait for you to watch the cut scenes before advancing, at least that's how it was when I played it a few years ago.

In ESO you can complete both the main storyline and your faction's storyline solo.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with dungeon design in GW2 is that it takes much more coordination for pretty much everything from crowd control to healing and rezzing, because everything is everyone's responsibility. This sounds great on paper but indeed results in a pretty chaotic experience unless everyone is at the top of their game, especially with randoms / without mics. This means than, on lower difficulties you can just wing it and hope for the best (which is an unenjoyable clusterfuck), and in higher difficulties, when you can no longer do that, it becomes a pretty unforgiving difficulty barrier.

Thing is... Dungeons aren't endgame for GW2. They haven't been in ages.

Fractals and Raids are the actual endgame.

Which both benefit from players specializing.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
RuneScape.

Lots of options for combat, skilling, and miningames. Hardly any fetch quests, most quests play out like point and click adventure games with combat sprinkled between. It has a relatively deep lore and world building but it also has some quirky, British humor comedic stories that I hardly see anywhere else.

Most of the grinding is really non intensive, so you can train combat and abilities afk or chatting with friends.

High level bosses are really well designed too.

The only part that I can say it really suffers at in on PvP, that aspect of the game is pretty broken.

Also, it has a LOT of free content before it starts to ask you to pay a fee.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ESO is the best MMO out right now. It's far and away the best as a solo player and has massive amounts of content and no mandatory sub. have a hard time recommending FFXIV to anyone new because the amazing story everyone talks about flat out sucks until the first expansion and the amount of time and effort it takes to get through all of that shit is not trivial by any stretch of the imagination. Plus it definitely has it's fair share of anime junk, which the OP plainly said they didn't like.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
ESO is free to play, so worth checking out any time of the year, not just during their ESO+ free trials. If you enjoy it, an ESO+ sub gets you access to all the DLC zones up to the most recent big Chapter (yearly expansion).

The primary reasons ESO is so good, and does better than all the competition:
  • New content released every 3 months. Dungeon packs every 1st and 3rd quarter, small new zone every 4th quarter, big expansion every 2nd quarter (Elsweyr this year).
  • Designed to be played solo, with optional group content. Very story focused as a result, with everything fully voice acted, and lots of dialogue options and multiple quest endings.
  • Level cap is never raised. Your end game gear will never be made redundant by a new expansion. Instead, new gear is made attractive through unique set piece bonuses which alter gameplay and visual styles for fashion.
EDIT: Also, no anime here:

459a81df28822cfa877c23901883f4ac.jpg

6ad9d31408ad337863fbfedc7ba697c9.jpg

wRna3sJPGCj3AYgYGNAubB-1200-80.jpg

Another vote for Eso!

Edit: Although the best MMORPG ever was Guild Wars 1:| Too bad they kill it in a crazy pursuit to overcome WoW....

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone play Black Desert? How is it?
Very disappointing. The combat is fun, but you can only attack a group of harden grapes for so long. Also someone that bought their way past the most free to play designed gear enhancing system will just take your endless grind spot possibly damaging your weapons and breaking your slotted crystals on your gear which can be pretty expensive. The game is mostly built around PVP, it's pretty though.

So to recap, fun action Devil May Cry like combat, pretty graphics, surrounded by horrible game design that will bore you to tears.

Just look up one youtube videos on enchanting gear "black desert enchanting."

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
ESO, it doesn't really play like Skyrim/Oblivion/etc. It has simpler mechanics (you can only have 5 skills + ult on your hot bar at once), you can do whatever you want in any order since everything scales to you, and it looks amazing. It doesn't have the greatest textures or detail, but the way the areas and worlds are composed is just done so well. I love the Elder Scrolls' lore too. I quit 6 months ago, wish I had more time to play it.

FFXIV is my 2nd favorite, but the world does not feel nearly as lived in as ESO's. A lot of the zones feel very empty and many areas are clearly designed to be a "game". A lot of the early-game unskippable dungeons can take a long time to matchmake for, depending on your class.

Last edited:

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
I think FFXIV is the best MMO on the market right now. That being said when deciding to use either "a" or "an" in a sentence before an acronym is it best to say "A MMORPG" because "Massively" is the first word of the acronym or is it best to us "an" because the first letter of the acronym is pronounced "em" making the first syllable a vowel? Thanks in advance...

FFXIV is the best MMO on the market right now in my opinion.

https://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2012/04/using-a-or-an-with-acronyms-and-abbreviations.html

Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed WoW and FFXIV the most but WoW is sorta meh nowadays and haven't played FF in quite some time. I've sorta begun to loathe the sub model for MMOs now as I feel obligated to play and get my money's worth. I wish subscription models would just go away at this point. I've only played ESO beta which I didn't care for but no idea how it is nowadays or how populated it is. If there is an active era guild I'd probably try if it goes on sale.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Guild Wars 2 is a pretty solo-able experience. You'll have to buy the living world stuff though once you reach the end of the original story. Then the expansions. But it's very enioyable and after the main game becomes very challenging for even geared veterans, the open world becomes very dangerous in the expansions

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
My issue with ESO is that it's kind of bland I guess. I don't know but after 20 hours nothing is really hooking me.
I'm right there with you. I wish I could get into ESO as much as most people but the exploration just feels so bland. It doesn't help that I actively loathe The Elder Scrolls version of magic items because I have to recharge them, so any weapon just kills my enthusiasm. Plus the character models look like someone needs to put them out of their misery, so cosmetic items are also lost on me lol.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
ESO is free to play, so worth checking out any time of the year, not just during their ESO+ free trials. If you enjoy it, an ESO+ sub gets you access to all the DLC zones up to the most recent big Chapter (yearly expansion).

The primary reasons ESO is so good, and does better than all the competition:
  • New content released every 3 months. Dungeon packs every 1st and 3rd quarter, small new zone every 4th quarter, big expansion every 2nd quarter (Elsweyr this year).
  • Designed to be played solo, with optional group content. Very story focused as a result, with everything fully voice acted, and lots of dialogue options and multiple quest endings.
  • Level cap is never raised. Your end game gear will never be made redundant by a new expansion. Instead, new gear is made attractive through unique set piece bonuses which alter gameplay and visual styles for fashion.
EDIT: Also, no anime here:

459a81df28822cfa877c23901883f4ac.jpg

6ad9d31408ad337863fbfedc7ba697c9.jpg

wRna3sJPGCj3AYgYGNAubB-1200-80.jpg

So if I want to try the game the best option would be to buy the base game and later if I'm interested get the sub? This way the only missing content would be the last dlc? Also, there is no free trial at the moment right?

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Is FFXIV any good for people who don't have a consistent amount of time to put into it? I work full time these days and live with my girlfriend, so getting time to game is pretty hot and miss.

I'd love to play FFXIV, but realistically I wouldn't be able to get in more than a few hours each week.

I'm always worried I'll be forever getting left behind by updates.
I tried it because of the praise it got on Era and it was just alright. I played till I got to Heavensward and played that for a bit. The game really opens up when you get there but the journey to this expansion is not worth it imo. Mostly if you don't have enough time. The combat itself is kinda mediocre and it's really just standard hotbar combat, just mashing a standard set of attacks. You get to play with debuffs and all that jazz once you get into the high level dungeons, but again it takes too damn long to get there. I understand what people like about it, since the world and soundtrack is really good but the combat is just standard MMORPG combat and nothing to talk about. If you don't have a lot of hours to spend in this game, I wouldn't get it.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
I very, very strongly disagree with this I remember playing FFXI back in the day I remember spending hours just trying to get exp parties together here they have an automated duty finder that puts you into a que. In FFXI I remember grinding dynamis for years and still not having all the gear I wanted, here I can earn tomes and just buy my armor with them. In XI I remember spending hours upon hours waiting for coffer keys to drop for my artifact armor and begging my THF friends for help with drop rates, here it's iust a quest reward. Coming from that, FFXIV has a lot more respect for your time.
Yes but compared to other games now it isn't. Having to wait 30+ minutes just to get into a dungeon to continue the story is ridiculous. I understand why it is that way, but it simply doesn't respect your time.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
If I wanted to get into FFXIV, does it play well on a PS4Pro?