• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So when I heard of the amount of caveats going along with a name change on PSN I was really hesitant to make the jump even though I've really been wanting to update my username across all my platforms.

Now that it's been out in the wild for a significant amount of time how many roadblocks or inconveniences have you experienced from doing a name change. Has it seemed worth it? With PS5 looming I'm inching up on the idea of doing it again. I'd just like to hear feedback from people who have already done it.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I didn't end up doing it because i saw how it ruined a guy on youtubes ps3 stuff, he lost everything if I remember right. I think if you only play ps4 onward youre good though. I just wonder how name changes may effect any future ps3 bc. I already had doubts but it only made em worse.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I did it during the initial beta. No PS4 issues.
No PS3 issues either, name change works and displays there too.
On Vita however, one of my games stopped allowing me to earn trophies (MGSHD)

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Didn't use it because I like my username, but it definitely made me confused while looking at my friends list at times.

Drop Dead Ken

Nov 16, 2017
I didn't want to change mine and haven't hard any friends change so I was curious how it would work. Glad to see it's working as planned. : )

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
People with 0 issues maybe add what platforms you use your account on (PS3,4, Vita) and if you still use them regularly enough to even notice any problems.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
No issues at all. Nothing broke with anything. I believe Sony just gave warnings just to be safe. Just like other companies do. The name change works everywhere even ps3 games.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Absolute zero issues including everyone I know that changed their IDs as well.

And yes, I've tested PS3 and Vita as well. All good as if nothing's changed.

This so much. I don't recognize a third of my friends list anymore. So in that regard I wish there was a way to see the original ID; maybe like with real name requests.

Obviously not a permanent solution, but the original name is listed under the new name in the user's profile page for a month after the change.

I just sent a mass message to all my friends noting them of the change lol

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
This so much. I don't recognize a third of my friends list anymore. So in that regard I wish there was a way to see the original ID; maybe like with real name requests.
Being able to see the original ID would completely remove the point of the feature. What they should do is implement the ability for users to set nicknames for their friends. Steam allows this. You see your friend's current name in big bold letters, and then in small letters you see the nickname you've set for them. This way you can always recognize who is who.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Reading this thread with envy. I want to change my username, but for some reason the name isn't allowed. It isn't taken, it just isn't allowed.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No issues at all. I haven't played on my PS3 and Vita since though so I don't know if there'd be issues there.

Syysch

Oct 30, 2017

I think you're able to opt in to displaying your old name along with the new to existing friends for like 30 days when you go to change it.

I haven't had any issues after changing right when it became available to all. Everything works just fine on ps3, vita, and ps4. I think the ps3 games I've played for the most part display the old name, which was expected.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
No one I know had any issues altho I might've deleted some people during a purge cuz I don't recognize them after the change.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't encountered any issues (PS4 & PS3), so it was painless in the end.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I changed TWICE and no problems.

For some reason the second change only costed $5 with a 50% plus discount.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I went ahead and finally changed my ID that I've had since December 2006. Hopefully I don't run into any issues like most of the people here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I want to change my name, but concerned about running into issues on PS3. I think the issues are game specific, but I really dont want to run into problems because I will still jump on the PS3 for a month every once in a while.

I think I remember a Mystic video where he had issues in a PS3 COD game

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
This is good news. I was considering a change a while back but it wasn't critical, so I waited.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've been thinking of changing mine up but have not because of similar concerns. Don't play on anything but my PS4 (my niece has my PS3 so that's whatever) so if there are no issues there maybe I should go ahead.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
it's ludicrous they charge to change your name

completely absurd

it should be unlimited whenever you want for free
Being able to change name at will could case some problems and spawn more scammers and spam. MS also charges to change the name. And most mobile games i play they also charge you (in game currency) to change name.