• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How many "extra" controllers have you bought this gen?

• PS4: 1-2

Votes: 314 49.7%
  • PS4: 3-5

Votes: 135 21.4%
  • PS4: 6+

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Xbone: 1-2

Votes: 109 17.2%
  • Xbone: 3-5

Votes: 46 7.3%
  • Xbone: 6+

Votes: 11 1.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Bought an extra Ps4 controller because of the awful battery and an extra Xbox controller because of a worn out joystick.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm... I'll refrain from voting since I don't think how many controllers I've bought answers the question OP hopes to answer?

I've bought more than 20 Xbox One controllers. Just because I like collecting them. I've only had one where the analog sticks rubbed away and I stopped using it (actually it happened with my elite too, but I just bought an extra pack of analog sticks from Microsoft Support).

I've bought maybe 5 or 6 Dualshock 4 controllers. I've had one where the analog sticks rubbed smooth, but it was the 20th anniversary controller and I had already replaced the analog sticks with the grey rubber ones from the Advanced Warfare Xbox One controller (I liked how they matched, and I prefer the Xbox One sticks). Since then I've only used controllers, when I'm playing for a long time, with those analog stick toppers to keep them from wearing down.

I've never bought a controller this gen because another one stopped working. I'll just buy one if I like how it looks. I did hate that when I was marathoning Yakuza 0 I would have to use one of those external USB battery chargers since I would play for more than 2 hours and the battery would die. I think that was a launch DS4 though (maybe? It might've been the 20th anniversary one), I think they might be (a little) better now.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Bought my PS4 in 2016 with two controllers. Both are still literally as good as new despite intensive use. Zero replacements bought.

I buy XO controllers for PC. Had to buy one replacement because the early units were total dogshit, dropped connection like mad, pairing issues...

No problems with the electronics since I bought the redesigned controllers released wite the One S (new bumpers, BT support, textured grips) but the rubber on the sticks of both of my new controllers has already worn out to the point of needing replacements. I bought only the sticks and replaced them myself, but I guess technically you could say I've had to buy 2 replacements per controller over the lifespan of the XO for a total of 4 "extra" controllers beyond the two original launch units.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I have 5 DS4s and none of them were replacements. They're all still kicking fine, even my launch 2013 one.

Two Xbox One controllers, and apart from some very rattly vibration motors, they both work fine, too.

In fact, the only "replacement" controller I've had to buy was some joycons. My left red joycons started having drift and the cheap plastic peg that keeps it attached to the Switch has worn down so it randomly pops off

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
2 Xbox and 2 PlayStation controllers.

My Xbox Elite v1 controller is breaking down at the moment though and I've been put off getting the V2 because of all the issues I've been reading about. I wish I could get a new standard Xbox controller with the weight of the Elite.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I've owned:

2x Dualshock 4' - one that came with my OG PS4 in 2013 and one that came with my Slim PS4 in 2016. Zero issues with either of them. As much as I dislike how the controllers fit my hands and having a torch/touch pad/speakers on it I would have to say they have the best build quality.

2x XB1 One - Bought the first one in September 2019. the A button kept sticking and the left analog stick was drifting after about about 4 months. Got it replaced and, again, the left analog stick started drifting after a few months. This was right in the middle of lockdown so couldn't take it back to the store. I'm not even gonna bother replacing it because I don't really plan on using it anymore anyway.

2x Switch Pro - first one the shoulder button was sometimes unresponsive. got it replaced and it has been perfect.

8x Joy Cons - the original ones that came with my OG Switch in 2017 the left controller kept disconnecting and Nintendo replaced it. The right controller shoulder button kept sticking and Nintendo replaced it. This was within like a month of launch so between ~April 2017 to September 2019 both controllers were flawless. I upgraded to the model with better battery life in September 2019. They worked perfectly fine but i kept thinking one of the shoulder buttons wasn't clicky enough so I opened it up to try "fix" it and ended up breaking it lol. Sold it as faulty (probably was an easy fix) and sold the other one because I didn't want it as a spare. I got a new set and have been using them for about 11 months now without issue. Absolutely no drifting in any JoyCon i've used.

I'd rank them:

1. DS4 - best build quality
2. Switch Pro - feels solid and that faulty button I got could easily be a one off.
3. Joycon - Early build quality I think was bad but now seems to have improved and also I was to blame for breaking 1 of them.
4. XB1 - most comfortable and feels well built except the analog stick drifting which is very concerning.

Last edited:

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a few PS4 controllers but they're all usable I just wanted some different colours and extras.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
The only controller I bought a replacement for this gen has been my joy cons.

My 2 DS4's have held up well compared to my old DS3's.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
0 for being broke. 1 PS4 for the Anniversary controller.

0 for being broke, 1elite V2, and 1 for color scheme on Xbox.

4 drifting joycons though. Should have an option for that.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
I've been lucky.

Bought a spare controller at launch. Both had the analog stick issues so replaced the rubber.

Eventually had bigger issues earlier this year and knew I'd be trading my ps4 and needed a new controller to do so so bought one then.

Launch ps4 has also survived. Sounds awful though.. Fingers crossed ps5 is quieter

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Damn, I voted without reading anything (just woke up, sorry). I bought one controller to play Borderlands 2 with my brother, but both of my controllers are in perfect condition. Never had any issues with them 🤷🏻‍♂️ I also bought an Xbox controller to play X cloud on my phone.

le-seb

Oct 31, 2017
The two DS4s I've got with my console in 2013 are still working fine.

Only reason why I've bought a third one last year was to be able to play CTR local multiplayer mode with a friend who was visiting.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I bought a ps4 controller because of joystick drift, the second controller also had joystick drift. At this point I opened them both and fixed them both instead of buying a 3rd. After the fix they both were working fine.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Replaced a DS4 where the analog mechanism pooped out, bought an extra Xbox controller for paddles. I don't even feel like I used my DS4 anywhere near enough for the analog mechanism to act up like that. It started out where I could fix the issue by cleaning it out but eventually became irreparable.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
None. Been using the same Dual Shock controller since I bought the system (admittedly about a year after launch)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Had to use some WD40 on both PS4 controllers on the buttons, the serial number stickers on the back are prone to pealing and the battery life is abysmal.

One of the XBO controllers has slight drift - not an issue on console as the deadzone is set so high by default, but on PC where I like to reduce the deadzone, it's an issue.

Overall I think the XBO controller is more robust but it's not a huge difference.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
Two ps4 controllers, but it was for the colors and not because I had one that broke, so I don't know if I'm supposed to even vote in the poll?

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of a zero alternative makes the poll difficult to interpret. Will people who didn't replace any controllers vote 1-2, because it's the lowest choice available? Or refrain from voting altogether? Or perhaps that situation is rare enough that it doesn't matter? Impossible to tell.

Voting was no problem for me personally, though, since I did get one replacement controller. My first PS4 controller developed a tear in the left stick rubber after a few years, as well a bit of internal plastic guiding the R1 button breaking off (making it slightly wobbly although still perfectly functional). Tried a number of third-party grips for the rubber issue, but wasn't really satisfied with them, so got a replacement controller (slightly revised model) in 2016. It's still in perfect condition, save from some wear on the underside barcode sticker.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I've technically bought 3, the one was the anniversary one just because I really like it so that doesn't count. I got the bad rubber on my launch PS4, and for whatever reason I have some odd drifting on the second controller I bought.

I've played a lot more on the PS4, and while I prefer the DualShock 4 I think the build quality is higher on the Xbox One. At least it seems that way.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Tough to count. I don't have my original PS4 or Xbox one, so those controllers are long gone.

I don't think my second DS4 is working, but that could just be because I tinkered around with it too much. I gave away my second XB1 controller. I still have the white XB1 controller that I bought when they changed the bumpers and added texture. Still have the red Gears controller.

As a whole I wouldn't say that I fully wore out any controllers this generation. I've had to replace analog sticks on both controller, but I've replaced more DS4 analogs (especially at launch).

In terms of durability I'd probably give the XB1 controller a B+ and the DS4 a C+. While it's nice to have no visible screws on the XB1 controller, that certainly made the controller creak more than the DS4. The DS4 doesn't have the creaking, but the analogs and triggers wear out prematurely. It's also more difficult to put back together without potentially ruining the controller.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost guaranteed that PS4 numbers are gonna be higher regardless of controller quality since this forum is so heavily Sony skewed. I don't own an Xbox and I'm sure many others here don't as well.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Haven't bought a new PS4 controller as of yet; I have had yet since 2014. Though, the battery life is abysmal now. Wish they took batteries like the Xbox' controllers.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the voting options are pretty biased and in turn worthless bc you left off 0.

I only ever purchased a new Xbox controllers bc I got a Elite and an Elite V2. Both of which still work and we're only purchased bc I love these controllers.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Poll isn't going to give good comparative information because more people have PS4 so more PS4 controllers will be bought.

I've bought 4 controllers since launch but only two of which were replacements for busted ones (rubber on the sticks wore off on my launch controllers), other two were just because I liked the colour.

Ctalkeb

Apr 12, 2020
I've bought one PS4 controller, for the occasional couch session, not as a replacement.

My XB1 controller is also fine.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
Had to replace 2 on PS4 and wore out 3-4 or something on Xbox. Won't vote in poll because you had to be cute (dumb) and say Xbone.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember having to replace one of my XB1 controllers at all this gen. I had to replace the DualShock 4 that came with my PS4 Pro because it started to drift on the left stick making pretty much everything unplayable.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Xbox One controllers
DualShock 4
Switch Pro controller
A hot knife slicing through a stick of melting butter
Joycons

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
No 0 option. I still have the same controllers I got with the consoles. Maybe I just use them less than some folks.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
My launch DS4 is the sturdiest and most reliable controller I have ever owned. Thousands of hours over 7 years of PS4 and PC gaming. I only ever had to replace 360 controllers back in the day because these cheapo things break like nothing else.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
OG PS4 control never broke
ps4 pro control never broke
OG Xbox one control never broke
xbox elite that came with elite console, broke. Replaced. The bumpers broke again and the grips fell off.
xbox 1X Bluetooth controller is now my PC main

i won't touch Elite 2. Three friends all have broken elite 2s. damn shame on the build quality AGAIN

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I haven't had to replace any controllers this gen, so I can't vote. They've been fine. I will say that my DS4s have horrendous battery life now, but it was never good to begin with.

edit: thinking about it more, and I can't even remember the last time I had to replace a controller. 360 controllers were solid (but I had three consoles fail), Gamecube, PS2, Dreamcast, N64, PS1, all of them were reliable for me. An Amiga joystick broke, but they weren't first-party.

Last edited:

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
4 on Xbox One and 3 on PS4. I've been very unlucky this generation as I was last generation. It's honestly infuriation to buy a product for €60 knowing it's eventually going to break. I am very careful with them but a trigger or button or d-pad or stick will eventually start to malfunction.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've bought like 4 or 5 DS4's this gen because of messed up sticks or triggers over time. I really like the way DS4s feel but god the build quality and battery life is absolute trash. Really hoping the build quality is better with the DualSense.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
I have over 6 ps4 controllers, all have something wrong with them. I gave up and bought an adapter to let me use xbox controllers on ps4. I own both elite controllers, my first one still works fine, but the elite v2 has a completely broken left bumper and is now out of warranty. I've been pretty unhappy this gen with controllers and just want one that works. I own 1 ps3 launch controller that I still use to this day on my ps3.

Aug 4, 2020
2 extra ones. One to replace the original one which stopped working properly. Another just because the color looked nice.

Also having 2 helps so one can recharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.