• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so I've always been sensitive to input lag (thanks fighting games) and that has been the reason why I often forego playing games on my laptop which preforms better than my One X and Pro except when it comes to input lag.

For some reason, hooking my laptop up to my tv always introduced input lag compared to just playing on the laptop itself (makes sense right?).

Today, DOOM 2016 randomly decided to switch to a 16:10 resolution, specifically 1920x1200 (TV is 4K, normie 16:9)...and ERA, something happened. Suddenly it felt like the input lag had disappeared fully!

I quickly changed back to the resolution I normally play the game on, 1920x1080 (my laptop can't hold 60@4K and its native resolution is 1920x1080 as well). And wouldn't you know it, the input lag was back. Wtf?!

I played around with a bunch of resolution settings and anything not 16:9 had MUCH lower input lag.

Is this a case of TV vs gpu scaling rearing its head and affecting the end result somehow?

I'm -this- close to saying f it, rather play 16:10 on my 16:9 TV if it means the input lag is a fraction of what I'm used to.

What is going on?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Definitely sounds like the TV has a built-in scaler for 1080p, and that introduces input lag. Maybe try running at 4K with a lower internal res for games?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The only other theory I can come up with is if your TV somehow recognizes 1920x1200 as a PC resolution (which it generally is) and as a result activates some kind of PC mode that turns off most/all processing effects. That could also make a difference, and depending on the manufacturer I wouldn't put it past them to have such an arcane feature/bug in place.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Search your TV settings for some kind of Game or PC mode and enable it to disable any kind of post-processing it might be doing. It should alleviate or straight-up eliminate input lag.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Does your TV have a "game mode"? Is it enabled on the input your PC is connected to?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I am fairly certain I have game mode enabled!

I'm so confused lol

Many TV's hide their PC input lag reducing features behind completely arbitrary flags like if the input is named "Computer/PC" or if it detects certain resolutions. You really just have to look it up for whatever your TV is. Also 4K TV's tend to upscale content at 1080p/720/480p and that upscaling can introduce a lot of input lag.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
The only other theory I can come up with is if your TV somehow recognizes 1920x1200 as a PC resolution (which it generally is) and as a result activates some kind of PC mode that turns off most/all processing effects. That could also make a difference, and depending on the manufacturer I wouldn't put it past them to have such an arcane feature/bug in place.
Sounds about right.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly, the manual for the JS7200 seems to imply that the TV doesn't even support 1920x1200, though it does support lower non-16:9 resolutions like 1680x1050. That, plus the fact that apparently Game Mode isn't normally available during "normal TV viewing," whatever that means (possibly locked to specific input device types?), makes me think my original hunch was partially correct: your TV is shutting off a bunch of processing, either because it's detecting a PC or because it has no idea what to do with the resolution you're feeding it and gives up.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Try setting your PC desktop to 4K then setting it to 1080p in game

also, try renaming the input "PC" (seriously that matters on some sets)