• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
Alright maybe I will skip the first one, watch a synopsis & go to two but I really wanna give it one more go.

seems like the third entry is divisive too.

It's not divisive at all, don't let the loud minority fool you. It sits at 92 on Metacritic for a reason, it's a very fun adventure game, just not the best Uncharted. If you like Uncharted 2 you're probably gonna like 3 as well.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Skip 1. They were just getting their footing and it really shows. Also has some of the stupider plot stuff in the series.

Afterwards, 2 is pretty solid and the series pretty much gets better with each successive entry imo.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
seems like the third entry is divisive too.
Keep in mind that 3 will probably be harder to go back to if you try it out after having played 4 and TLL, and contrary to what many on this forum would have you believe, it's a really good game that you should at least play once. It's not lightning in a bottle like 2 was when it first came out, but still really good.

I'd say decide if you want to play it based on what you think of 2. If you really, really like it, then definitely do not skip 3.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people keep saying to skip 3. Kinda feel like Uncharted 2 is put on a pedestal where it doesn't belong. All of these are great games, minus Uncharted 1 which is pretty mediocre.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
I don't know why people keep saying to skip 3. Kinda feel like Uncharted 2 is put on a pedestal where it doesn't belong. All of these are great games, minus Uncharted 1 which is pretty mediocre.

To be fair I do think that Uncharted 2 is way better than Uncharted 3, but that doesn't mean that 3 is bad, it has some of the best set pieces in the series for sure.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
If you're not enjoying the first in the collection then it's unlikely you'll enjoy the rest. I found them alright but the combat is pretty tedious and there's A LOT of it. There are some (but not enough for me) puzzle solving sections where you check Nate's notebook against the environment but for the most part the games are really same-y. I know there were improvements to how Uncharted 1 plays but I didn't get around to it until the PS4 collection so didn't notice much of a shift in quality between the first and second. I'm sure the impact of much of each game's spectacle was lost as a result of playing them so late.

I also wish there was more to the clambering than just holding a direction and hammering X.

I'm playing the fourth one now since it was free on PS Plus. It was cute visiting Scotland (though I didn't hear anyone Scottish) but for the most part it's been much the same as the earlier games. It's taken me weeks to reach that point as every fresh firefight fatigues to the point where I just put a different game on. I'm in a wee jeep with a bit of exploration now and a friend tells me there's some nice puzzles to come so I'll press on with it. The writing is definitely far beyond the earlier games and it's nice to experience it while the spectacle is fresh.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I think you don't like it.
Games are mostly played for entertainment, and liking something can greatly increase that entertainment you get from it.

So, i would say try something else.
Sorry, that i didn't even try to convince you.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Don't skip 1.

Don't worry about story, just care about how the characters interact between each other.
Embrace Nathan's jokes. Have fun.

Also, don't play on hard, it is not fun.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You tried 4 times and still don't like it? It's probably a sign you should just drop it and go to UC2. I think that'll confirm if the franchise is for you.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
This is wrong. 2 and 3 play considerably better than 1.
They do but it's iterative. Especially playing the remastered versions. The only real leap is going from 1,2,3 to 4 and LL. But 4 is pretty long and imo though I liked it less fun. So I suggest he try LL and then if he liked it then 4. The story is very separate for the most part in 4 anyway.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Switch UC1 to Easy difficulty

Play the game with the playstyle of running, shooting (with blind fire) then melee finishing enemies. Playing that way is really satisfying, because if you use melee on an enemy already clipped by a bullet, you take them out in one melee hit (you know you're doing it right if you're sliding under and nut shotting enemies)

Alternatively, you could try playing Uncharted 4 first. I actually started with UC2 and didn't really get it. Then somebody gifted UC4 to me as a present, I played it and then I got hooked for whatever reason. Went from "this series isn't just for me" to "okay, I get the appeal. I need to get the UC Collection"

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
For what it's worth, the main characters are really likable and written well through the series (especially Sully/Nathan and their friendship), so if you are able to keep at it long enough to get a feel for their personalities, it makes it much easier to stuck with the less than satisfying shooting.

I played 2 first though

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Uncharted 3 recently (I beat the first two when they came out)... it is rough. This game isn't that old, but it has still managed to age extraordinarily inelegantly. I think it is because it helped establish the standard that so many modern games have progressed. It just feels extremely awkward to play now.

That being said, I have heard great things about Uncharted 4. So maybe skip right to that one?

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
The hate for 3 is disturbing.

It is just as good as 2. Lost Legacy was quite boring to me, Uncharted 4 was far better.

TheTokenGeek

May 22, 2020
Bit of a tangent, but I initially felt the same way about 'The Last Of Us', the start grabbed me and then my interest waned a bit so I left it. Going back to it now with Part II coming up is like a breath of fresh air and I'm loving it now...

I loved every Uncharted game, but going back to number one now is a bit of a slog. I would probably start at number 2 and read the synopsis of number 1.

tusk

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Chicago, IL
Unless you really like narratives that ape hollywood 100% I really can't think of a reason to play it, the gameplay is quite dated and doesn't feel particularly interesting to me at least

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't, uncharted 1 is bad.
Jak 3 into Uncharted 1 is probably the worst fall from grace of a studio i've ever seen.

Oct 27, 2017
1 is rough and hasn't aged well but is useful in getting the basis on who Drake, Sully, Elena are and the relationship that brings them together. Worth playing but no shame in playing on a lower difficulty to go through it quickly.

Play 2-4 and ignore people telling you to skip them. All of them are great and have setpieces and character moments that are well worth experiencing first hand than missing out on because someone on the internet said you shouldn't. (Even If you feel the need to skip, then I recommend playing on a lower difficulty instead).

Then after all that definitely play Lost Legacy because its fantastic and much better than its "its a DLC" status would lead people to believe. Don't play them back to back though because you will burn out. Play each entry over a weekend or two.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
I have a stronger will every time I try at least.

F8jeQzz.png

Uncharted is still one of my favorite series. Jump to Uncharted 2 if you need to but come back to the first one as it does a lot of character building that makes the later ones more meaningful.

Edit: If you have a Vita, play Golden Abyss....if you don't, get one, then play Golden Abyss.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried 4 times since I've owned the Uncharted Collection since 2016! I always stop when I get the first level after the girl steals the briefcase or whatever, please.. just tell me I can do it; tell me I can love Naughty Dog again truly.

I'm going to try for my fifth time Saturday to push through the wall.
Don't play the first one, it's mediocre at best.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I've tried 4 times since I've owned the Uncharted Collection since 2016! I always stop when I get the first level after the girl steals the briefcase or whatever, please.. just tell me I can do it; tell me I can love Naughty Dog again truly.

I'm going to try for my fifth time Saturday to push through the wall.
I finally started playing the remasters, never touched the series before. As janky as the controls and movement are, the story is keeping me engaged enough to stock with it. Started part 3 on Monday.
I'm not sure why you're forcing yourself through it. It'll just make the game and experience even worse for you.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Play it on easy. If you're not enjoying it, skip it. If you're not enjoying Uncharted then leave it be. You're not obliged to like everything.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
UC2 is one of the best TPS adventure games ever made. It really captures your inner Indiana Jones. I can't recommend it enough. If you want a bite size of the modern UC experience, I highly recommend trying out UC:LL (all thriller, no filler) but you do miss out on Nate.

I am not as big on the other games but they are all good to very good and worth playing.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I say put Uncharted 1 on easy and cruise through it, enjoy the story and characters. Uncharted 2 improves on everything and from there on out the series is top notch.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
Uncharted 1 graphics might have aged worse than the rest of the series (of course they did), but gameplay wise is still great.
I remember missing U1 shooting mechanics when I was playing Uncharted 2 for the first time. I thought they were "kind" of more fluid.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
If you need convincing to play the series and weren't interested enough to do it on your own volition, then follow this advice:

Skip Uncharted 1 and go straight to 2.

If you play 1 and start to hate it, skip to 2. If you start hating 3, skip to 4, and if you kind of like that one, play The Lost Legacy.

2 and The Lost Legacy are my "no caveats" recommendations,

tusk

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Chicago, IL
Honestly, if you haven't played the Uncharted series yet - why start now?

They're no longer visual benchmarks, and the storylines are standard hollywood fare, the gameplay is also largely cinematic and dependent on your enjoyment of linear set pieces

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
Playing close interest to this thread because i''m in the same boat as OP, everyone raves about the series - is there a story recap of 1 on youtube so i'm not missing anything going into 2?

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Play 2 and maybe 4, and definitely play Lost Legacy. The rest are forgettable and I'm more likely to suggest just playing something else if you've tried four times already.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Skip Uncharted 1 and go straight to 2. Maybe watch a YouTube video of all the cutscenes in UC1.

Uncharted 3 is fine, Uncharted 4 is fine, and Uncharted Lost Legacy is incredible. Still worth playing 3 and 4, but 2 and LL are the crown jewels of the series.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
It's playstations best franchise, IMO. With their track record recently, that's something.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Girl stole briefcase? Elena?

Anyway... Drake's Fortune was pretty awesome at the time, but it hasn't aged too well, so if you're really struggling that much to endure it, just watch the cut-scenes at least and go straight to Uncharted 2 which is a great game, even by today standards.

I advised you to watch the cut-scenes because even though there isn't a continuous plot between all games, the characters relations are attached throughout the games and you watch them grow. If you end up playing the whole series and you reach Uncharted 4's epilogue you will definitely appreciate having played, or at least, having watched all cut-scenes from the first game.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Yeah skip 1, you won't find the mood to play that one.

Try 2, if you can't advance you may try 4 or Lost Legacy but you'll have to consider that the series might not be for you.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
idk I'll play all, starting from 1. If you can't take 1 after a while (I remember it getting harder lol) then you skip to 2 which is still the best I think. Then 3, which is pretty good, just not that memorable, 4 is great.