• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Outside of the internet, do you personally know someone who's trans?

• I'm cis and I'm close to someone who's trans

• I'm cis and I personally know someone who's trans

• I'm cis and I do not personally know someone who's trans

• I'm trans, non-binary, genderqueer or agender and I'm close to someone who's trans

• I'm trans, non-binary, genderqueer or agender and I personally know someone who's trans

• I'm trans, non-binary, genderqueer or agender and I do not personally know someone who's trans

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
Cis man.

I have one friend who came out to me and our mutual friend. I had absolutely no idea they were trans until they came out as having transitioned with a new name.

I'm glad to say her family have been nothing but supportive and she's in a really good place.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
One of my best friend is trans, known them since college and spoke at their wedding.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I don't know any people who are trans. Closest I've gotten is chatting with random trans people who were on grindr.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Cis man.
A co worker is trans, transitioned from man to woman. Only Trans person I know honestly, I do have a lot of gay/bi friends.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I worked with one. She was amused that I was uncomfortable around her, yet treated her nicer than her other coworkers. I just thought it was bullshit how her boss acted around her. Let her do her job without being a dick to her. That's all she wanted.

Nov 21, 2019
I'm a cis man. My D&D dungeon master is a trans woman (in a group of exclusively dudes, unfortunately, it's hard to find any players around here). She's awesome. We're not close personally but she's a great gaming friend.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trans, and the only trans person I know offline is me.

EDIT: Actually I take that back. A friend of mine from middle and high school is a trans man. I didn't know until after he and I last saw each other though, and he and I don't really talk much anymore. It's been years lol. But still, he is someone I knew IRL, so he counts. And another friend (similar situation; haven't talked much in years, but used to know each other IRL) is enby.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cis man here, a childhood friend of mine is trans and I don't mind the slightest, best way to show it is by interacting like we always did over the last 26 years we've known each others, which is by simply having fun when we're together.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what the qualifiers mean in the poll, but yes I am friends with 2 trans people, one of which I see regularly.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I met a friend of a friend and he told me he was trans the same day we first met, after quite a bit of drinking admittedly. Very happy he told me openly because I think he saw I was genuinely interested in his life.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I know zero trans people personally. There are a couple I've met and am aware of, but I don't actually know anything about them. But I'm also kinda antisocial in general so there are few people I know personally overall.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I knew two 20 years ago from the BDSM scene. I have not met or seen another trans person IRL that I know of since then until my kids went to middle school where there is a child currently transitioning.

Last edited:

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I don't know anyone who is trans, but I'm starting to suspect I'm not truly cis.

This coming after feeling like I'm not heterosexual either. It's been an interesting time in my life.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
Lived in NY my entire life. I'm not white, spent many years living in Manhattan, and I have a pretty diverse group of friends.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've directly interacted with a trans person. Just not that common based on percentage and population.

Honestly my main exposure is in media and on the internet. If it weren't for those two things, I could easily see many people going through life without ever even knowing what trans means in terms of people.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Cis straight dude here, while you'd think that when I started following my local drag scene that's when I'd have met trans people, I'd say a good portion of my friend group is trans, and while it did increase after following my local drag scene, I still know more from friends I met in highschool/college.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Tons. My partner, their partner, their old housemate, one of the members of my game group, my ex. And then some acquantainces and friends/family of friends or ex friends.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I do. They were one of my good friends at one point, but we don't speak much anymore. Not related to their transition (I think?). They did go through a bit of a period where they didn't talk to many people that they used to, but from what I've heard that's gotten better. We do live in different places now, though, so that could certainly contribute. Anyway, they're really cool and I miss talkin' with them.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I had a student come out to me this past year. It was one of the most impactful moments I have had in a decade of teaching. I have a good rapport with many of my students but for him to trust me like that really meant a lot.

dabbert

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Drinking buddy in college was trans. Wu Tang Shaolin Style and shitty dollar beers all night. She dropped out to start a business and I lost contact with her after Friendster (lol) died. I knew another person at college who I believe transitioned, but we weren't that close other then him dragging me to parties a couple of times he wasn't comfortable going to alone.

I know a couple of trans folks, but I'm not really friends with either of them beyond occasionally shooting the shit at a party. One acquaintance has the same Tarot tattoo as me and likes JoJo which usually leads to a long conversation haha

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Cis and someone in my close family came out as trans within the past year.

In school, I had 2 people in my program who were trans, although I only knew one decently well.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know a few, around 3 off the top of my head. Theyre awesome. Im sure I know way more though, they just havent come out yet. You all know trans people, you just havent been told yet.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cis Male

I have a cousin who is trans but we were never close. Beyond that I used to know a trans film major while I worked at GameStop. We were never particularly close but I would've called her a friend, she always had strong opinions about games or things in general. Had a few arguments once lol

coldzone24

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Cis male. I briefly dated someone who identifies as trans now, before they came out and we still keep in touch through social media occasionally. Also I went clubbing with a trans woman and had the time of my life at a gay club. But other than that I have had no other personal experience with that community.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I've had online acquaintances who are trans for a few years now, but I recently learned that one of my mother's cousins is trans.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Well, I'm non-binary myself (albeit not out & probably never will be, because Germany is shit when it comes to non-binary people or at least where I live I guess), but I don't know anyone else who's trans or LGBT in general for that matter who doesn't live at least a couple of hours away. :( 99% of my friends I made online are LGBT with a big part of them being trans, but I'm just a lonely non-binary lesbian out here where I live, it's awful. It just fucking sucks. So much.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I do not, and I really wish I did. Trans people are valid, full stop. I honestly don't meet many people outside the internet period (and especially not right now being in Texas with COVID being rampant). Most of my friends are on the internet.

Oct 25, 2017
Friends of friends/family, who I'm cool with but not personally. I'm sure there must be some acquaintance of mine who's gone on that journey before/since I knew them, statistically.

Thought it was important to respond as such to help build the picture of ERA users. Definitely interesting to see 45% vs the 80% quoted in the OP, does that say something about who the site attracts, or what being online can do to perceptions?

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I'm cis, and I don't personally know anyone that is trans, but I want to offer my support whenever possible.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Cis. At least two industry colleague and a distant co-worker, 2 women and 1 man. Two of them came out (is that the right term?) in the past couple of years.

I read it as a positive sign of people feeling comfortable enough to be in their own skins.

Epiphyte

Nov 4, 2017
I don't know anyone who identifies as trans offline, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't someone who identifies as something other than their assigned at birth gender in my circle of acquaintances

Is there a terminology for people who identify specifically as trans vs just their gender?

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I don't, but that I don't doesn't mean I avoid them. I have a small social circle as it is, and iirc the estimate of world population that is trans is less then 1%?

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
My cousin is trans. We both loved video games and we very close growing up. My family is from the rural south and when she announced she was transitioning it was a big shock to the family. Her mother even called me to try to get me to talk to her and "talk some sense" into her considering how close we were. I remember honoring my aunt's request to talk to her, not to try to talk her out of it but mainly to try to make sense of it myself. I wasn't negative about it but I wasn't encouraging either. It was my first exposure to anything like this and I wished that I had handed it better.

Years later, I reached out to her and apologized for not being more encouraging when she first let everyone know. I was honest with her because I knew how much she looked up to me and I should have been there for her. She told me no hard feelings, that I remembered our talks much more harshly than she did and we reconciled. Now we chat online and I get to have someone to talk to about jrpgs again. I love my cousin and that love drives me to support a world that is better for her.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Have a couple of trans coworkers. One had already transitioned before getting hired, the other transitioned after getting the job. I was actually the direct supervisor of one of my trans coworkers and she was one of the better employees I've worked with though unfortunately she moved to a different department.
I'm not best friends with either of them but I do consider myself friends with both of them.