• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Outside of the internet, do you personally know someone who's trans?

• I'm cis and I'm close to someone who's trans

• I'm cis and I personally know someone who's trans

• I'm cis and I do not personally know someone who's trans

• I'm trans, non-binary, genderqueer or agender and I'm close to someone who's trans

• I'm trans, non-binary, genderqueer or agender and I personally know someone who's trans

• I'm trans, non-binary, genderqueer or agender and I do not personally know someone who's trans

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Poll note: If I've missed your identity from those in my poll I apologise, let me know and will try to update. Didn't want to ascribe anyone to an "other" but am aware I may have missed something.
- - - - -

Recently you may have heard of the Netflix documentary Disclosure. In it it's recognised that 80% of Americans don't personally know someone who's trans. As a result a large amount of the public's perception of trans people's lives and bodies is influenced by the portrayals of us in media and Hollywood. Which, by and large, has been negative and a source of either humour or disgust. This also extends into games, especially this year with the widely anticipated Cyberpunk 2077 which features fetishized images of trans people and transphobic tropes.

According to a recent Pew poll, nearly 90% of Americans say they personally know someone who is lesbian, gay, or bisexual. However, multiple polls show that approximately 20% of Americans say they personally know someone who is transgender. Given this reality, most Americans learn about transgender people through the media.
www.glaad.org

Transgender Media | GLAAD

GLAAD Transgender Media Program Transgender FAQ Learn more about transgender people and the issues important to themMedia Professionals If you are a media professional working on a story, please check out GLAAD's resources for covering transgender people in the media.GLAAD's Work on Transgender...

As a result I'm curious as to what this community's relationship with trans people is, and how many people here personally know someone who identifies as trans outside of the internet. I appreciate this will cut off people who know trans people online, but I want to avoid people also taking it to mean knowing Natalie Wynn or having seen trans members on here. I also think it's important to get a sense of how close trans people are ourselves to others within the community, outside of the internet.

If you have Netflix I recommend checking Disclosure out, the trailer is below. There's some good criticism around the 'Netfix bias' it has when mentioning positive representation but I really want to focus on the aspect of it confronting how people have generally been informed by the media and Hollywood over the years, and how this has led to a lot of the transphobic sentiment we see today.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My best friends brother is trans. Not really something that ever gets discussed with them (just hasn't come up). But they also don't tend to participate in a lot of the stuff we do activity wise. So it's not something I have an abundance of insight into. Other than what my friend has shared about the agonizing process.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've known plenty of trans people throughout my life, all ages. Chicago is a very diverse city so I've been fortunate enough to be surrounded by all manners of people throughout my lifetime.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I knew a kid one grade lower than me in high school. Seemed like they were treated well. At least in the AP classes they were in.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I have many *trans friends. I've worked for years in a local trans-owned cafe that was also an hub for a lot of activist groups, so for a good chunk of my life most of my friends were actually trans :P

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
The rental house next to my house is currently lived in by a bunch of youngish trans individuals. They're nice.

One of my wife's cousin's children came out as trans a year or two ago as well. Everyone has been incredibly supportive.

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
A friend of mine is trans. I know a few others that are trans that I'm less close with (former co-workers, someone who used to bully me, etc).

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've known someone at my gaming store before and during her transition. Then covid happened so haven't seen her in a while.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am trans myself, and know many people who are trans. I've been a part of several trans support groups as well.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I'm not a social person when it comes to real life, so, unfortunately, I don't know anyone who is trans.

Even then, considering where I live, meeting, and befriending a trans person would be a death sentence for me.

Oh, and I'm cis.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
caveat to my i'm cis and personally know someone who is trans answer...i knew them before transition when they were my wife's friend's husband...now she is my wife's friend's roommate and they now live far away so I have not actually seen her since the transition...

does that count? or did i make a gaffe that i will now be educated about and not make again? (if anything is wrong/insensitive about this post that was obviously not my intention, let me know and i can edit/correct/delete whatver)

edit: forgot I have another acquaintance who is a trans...didn't know when I first met him and found out on Facebook years later...haven't seen him in ages but i do personally know him...

Last edited:

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Cis male, and I personally know a trans man. He takes his disclosure very seriously so I won't provide any additional information about him so as to avoid even the smallest potential of being identified.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'm cis. I had a trans classmate that I was friends with (stopped talking so much after the class was over). I learned a few years later they had a transition (I knew them pre-transition). Same for 2 rather close online friends I have. Also a few acquaintances.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm cis and I know a person who's trans. I've pretty much known them through all of grade school and learned about the change a years after high school.

Before the transition, she was the smartest person (or at least top 3) in our high school. Went to Harvard I believe.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I've had several trans coworkers over the years, most were at a bakery in Seattle. One even wrote and performed an autobiographical show at some of the local lgbt centers, which was neat.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
As a professor I have taught several trans students.
But I have no close personal acquaintance with any trans individual.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Someone who I used to work with transitioned from male to female. I knew them and worked with them before and after but they weren't someone important in my personal life or anything.
Edit: Hope I wrote that correctly, no offense intended if I didn't.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Enby reporting. There is no one I personally know in person who's trans. Have quite a few LGB coworkers and such aside from that, but as far as I know I'm the only trans person in my very small social circle.

(edit) To be clear, I definitely mean openly so. I don't mean to presume anything of anyone in my circle.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I worked with a transwoman at a call center right out of high school but I didn't know her well at all. My roommate's relative was trans too but I didn't know him well either, just met him once. Outside of that, I don't know anyone personally currently but I think that might have to do with living in rural Alabama.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm NB, my niece is trans, and I know personally 4 other trans men or women, albeit on mostly an acquaintance basis.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's both a little surprising and heartwarming to see and read the results so far, appreciate people popping in to post and/or vote.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Our neighbor growing up transitioned when he was post high school. The process was difficult for his family, but they have all been very supportive.

It was also a positive thing for the people in our neighborhood, who got a real education and a deeper understanding. My father, who isn't an asshole, but doesn't usually seek understanding, got to understand what it meant and he was very supportive once things clicked. He finally understood and appreciated that Natalie was Nate, and had been all along.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I know several (mostly through work), at least one on a personal level.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A person I know from highschool is trans, though they transitioned after highschool, so it was after I moved from the area. We don't really have much contact besides following each other on instagram. I don't know what poll option that would be since I'm not particularly close to this person now, though in highschool I would have considered them a friend.

chancellor

Oct 26, 2017
I have had clients with my work who are trans but I do not know anyone personally. I am not aware of anyone who I went to school with transitioning either.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Two of my closest friends are trans, and their strength to be who they are and talking to me about queer identity is directly what inspired me to eventually come out as bisexual. They're two of the best folks I know.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Fairly good friends with one and her wife. Sadly they moved to England years back.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's both a little surprising and heartwarming to see and read the results so far, appreciate people popping in to post and/or vote.

Yeah, I'm really happy to see that the results are skewing towards people knowing or being close to someone who's trans. Makes me feel validated.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Yarp. Shes outwardly one of the most positive people I've known and was glad to have worked and partied with her. She was also pretty open online about her transition, and even talked about some horrifying experiences in her life publicly. All around a wonderful human who was great to be around.

Hexe

Banned
Jul 1, 2020
I'm a trans woman married to another trans woman, that counts as close I think!

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
She moved away right about the time she told us she was transitioning, but I suppose it still counts.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I play in two different bands with two different trans excellent shredders. Also work with someone who is trans. And personally know at least a dozen others. But I live in a big City and involve myself through punk and nerd culture circles so maybe thats why

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, several people. First trans woman I met was a good friend's parent when I was a teenager.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I believe me and my roommate (we've all been close for years) were one of the first ones she came out to before going public on her Facebook almost a year later. I'm not sure what kind of reaction she was expecting but I'm laid back by nature, I think I just thanked her for being comfortable and feel free to chill at the apartment if you need anything, then I promptly asked if she wanted to smoke weed because I didn't want to pry into her business beyond that lol.

We all served in the armed forces together a couple years ago and as everybody here knows the military can be racist, homophobic and bigoted, so her seeing me as a confidant was honestly a dope feeling.