• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Inspired by a Twitter thread I saw yesterday...

Name something you're really good at. Don't put yourself down ("I'm really good at ruining a conversation") or anything like that. Just something you do well. Don't overthink it.

For the sake of 'rules' don't just say "video games" either. If it's gaming related, then be specific.

My thing that I'm really good at: I have a knack for technical writing. Specifically task-based instructions based on notes scribbled together by very smart people. I can bust out a technical document in short order. This makes creative writing more difficult, in my experience, though.

So, Era... What are you really good at?

Force me to upgrade to Era Clear if this thread is bad.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really good at being mediocre or slightly better than average at anything I set out to do. I legitimately don't think I'm great at anything, but there's also nothing that (at least if I devote time to figuring it out), I'm bad at (math aside...).

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Supporting my friends? Does that count? I always get told I'm such a great listener and I always build them up to the best of my ability

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I was always good at essay writing in school.

Owning Christians on Reddit (Catholics in particular)

Braising meat

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really good at being mediocre or slightly better than average at anything I set out to do. I legitimately don't think I'm great at anything, but there's also nothing that (at least if I devote time to figuring it out), I'm bad at (math aside...).
Came to post exactly this (minus the math part). I'm good at quickly understanding the basic concepts of a thing and being able to apply them and getting decent at it fairly quickly. I'll get good enough at things so people think I'm amazing, but I know in reality where I stand. This has actually served me pretty well in life.

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
I have a really good memory. I often won't watch a movie twice (unless I really like it) because I can remember everything that happens as if I just saw it, once I go somewhere for the first time I usually won't need directions a second time.

My job is delivering mail, and I'll glance at the names/addresses of people whose parcels I have for the day as I'm loading the truck. Sometimes I'll be approached by someone expecting a package that day, and I'll know right away if I've got it or not.

I will also remember very specific numbers or dates, and I've learned to get more general with it ("around 1400" instead of "1434"), so I stop freaking people out with it.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Selling people stuff they don't really need (especially regarding logistics and accounting). Been topping generated revenue for the past two years at my firm.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Copyediting for spelling and grammar is one of my best skills. Sometimes I mess up when I post online, or I use wacky sentence structure because I feel like it, but still. Errors jump out at me in all kinds of written material. By extension, I'm good at catching malapropisms.

I also have a huge vocabulary, from when I read like crazy as a kid and learned new words for fun. I try to dial it down and write casually. Speaking in thesaurus looks pretentious when you're just having a conversation.

Last edited:

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprisingly lucky- at least when it comes to school. The shit I've managed to get away with is kind of unreal.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually pretty damn good as a DPS Warrior in WoW.

I'd look up logs to see what other players were doing, watch videos studying their rotations to see what I could do better and practiced all the time to make sure every second of the fight I was outputting the most DPS as possible. I would be disappointed in myself if I didn't AT LEAST hit 90th percentile in a normal DPS fight. Ended up quitting WoW when my guild fall apart but was invited to join the new one my friends were making, if I had gone with them, I would've been playing in a top 60ish US guild.

If only I was able to tap into that same dedication for other things in life.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can write a pretty decent limerick about any subject using any basic rhyme word unless it's "orange" oh wait.

there once was a Lady named Solange
Who mounted a peak in the Borange
Her daypack was blue
But deep down she knew
The more Mountainous pack had been orange

and I'm decent at SWAT in Halo like an elephant that can press buttons to receive treats
I have a really good memory. I often won't watch a movie twice (unless I really like it) because I can remember everything that happens as if I just saw it, once I go somewhere for the first time I usually won't need directions a second time.

My job is delivering mail, and I'll glance at the names/addresses of people whose parcels I have for the day as I'm loading the truck. Sometimes I'll be approached by someone expecting a package that day, and I'll know right away if I've got it or not.

I will also remember very specific numbers or dates, and I've learned to get more general with it ("around 1400" instead of "1434"), so I stop freaking people out with it.

I don't have a consistently good memory- indeed I'll forget entire events, momentous dates, people etc - but I do have a photographic memory in the literal sense- I can recall and replay the scenes in my head and recall details like what song was playing, the smell, partial license plates, tree shapes- even irrelevant shit.

A few weeks ago I was cycling in Eastern Washington- I was pushing my bike in a very small downtown - waiting for Starbucks I overheard a family lamenting their kid's lost prescription glasses - I had seen a pair on the grass on a country road several miles away and I asked them "are they clear, gray oakley shaped plastic frames?"

"yes!"

I told them where they were- gave them side of rural road, the country lane closest to it (has a memorable name that now escapes me but it'll come back if I replay it) and two distinct road repair patches to triangulate from.

I don't know if they believed me but - yes- they had been there earlier on rented electric bikes and it's possible they came off there. Dad was suspicious AF of me and I think he thought I'd been following them or something. Mom wanted to know how to do photographic memory.

less about my memory and more about the chances of me bumping into them hours from either event.

Last edited:

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gassier than your grandpa, I am king of farts. Give me some beans and I'll give you a symphony of toots

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Good listener and conversationalist. I just love sitting and chatting with people, online or in person.

OP
OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
This is self-depreciating, but I'll allow it because I know exactly what you mean, just as Macheezmo said. It's actually a pretty good thing to be this way. Being able to adapt to new systems or whatever is an underappreciated skill.
Supporting my friends? Does that count?
Absolutely!
Selling people stuff they don't really need (especially regarding logistics and accounting). Been topping generated revenue for the past two years at my firm.
Nice! Sometimes I have to convince folks they should upgrade things when maybe they don't need to. It's an art.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
good memory and can pick things up fast

have been promoted 4 times in the last 5 years as a result

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say I'm REALLY good at something. There's nothing I'm exceptionally talented at. Except perhaps an above average level of curiosity and accompanying analytical thinking. I'm also a quite persistent person.

So if there's something I'm not THAT good at, but do like/want to do I can figure out the steps to accomplish my goal and just keep working to reach it. Which is pretty useful in a lot of ways. Be it writing a novel, getting a degree which is a lot of self study, learning ring muscle ups or beating mental illness. All things I'm not REALLY good at, certainly not the best in the world, but good enough to be proud of and enjoy doing them.

Edit: I am good at guessing stuff. How much somebody weighs, someones age, height...that sort of stuff.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really good at typing, and I think more than anything it has saved me so much time and effort in life. I'm trying to teach my kid but he has no interest :(

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
My hearing is so good it borders on a superpower. I can hear the slightest of noises and follow conversations at a very long range. I once noticed a PC hardware error because it sounded off, not a fan or a moving part, just the ambient noise of the PC was different.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd like to think I have very good long term memory, does that count?

Oct 25, 2017
memorizing music. there are obviously people a lot better, but i'm fairly good at hearing a song a few times and then playing it from heart

it was a bit of a problem i had to work on with my piano teacher. i have trouble reading bass clef and instead of strengthening my sight reading skills, i would start playing songs from memory after i got the melody down

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
'Analysis' (for lack of a better word) in general. I instinctively and automatically connect the dots between separate events, objects, etc., especially historical.

I also feel like I'm something of a social chameleon? I'm very good at interacting with any group of people and fitting in, no matter their background and whether I know them or not. I just get along with people, which is ironic because growing up I was painfully shy and had trouble making friends. Turns out I have a knack for it.

Maybe communication in general counts. I have a pleasant voice, I've actually grown to like giving public talks and lectures despite hating them for most of my (academic) life, and have no trouble keeping an audience interested in what I have to say.

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
less about my memory and more about the chances of me bumping into them hours from either event.
That's next level.

That also reminds me of when me and my fiancee (then gf) went to Toronto for a weekend. We took the train in, and there was a guy across the aisle wearing an orange polo shirt, and I remember he brought his own beer onto the train. We go do a bunch of stuff in the city, stay overnight, and the next day we went to a museum to finish off the weekend before heading home. After the museum, we went to a restaurant across the street, and who happens to be sitting at the bar, but orange polo man from the train, still wearing the same shirt.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I'm extremely good at sizing people up. This leads to a myriad of opportunities, I can imitate people very well because of it, it's easy for me to know if I say something that was over the line, that they disagree with, have a problem with even when they're stoic. That kind of thing. It's also a big help when it comes to hooking up, job interviews, pitches, etc. I'm pretty much constantly analyzing the person I'm having a conversation with.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I also feel like I'm something of a social chameleon? I'm very good at interacting with any group of people and fitting in, no matter their background and whether I know them or not. I just get along with people, which is ironic because growing up I was painfully shy and had trouble making friends. Turns out I have a knack for it.

This is me too, word for word.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really good at learning. I learn new things very quickly because I will always unconsciously try to grasp the logic behind it, which makes everything easier. I'm pretty good at math, hard sciences, and learning languages.

I think I'm generally good at reading people too, I can usually tell what their intentions are or what they're thinking. Although that has caused more trouble for me than anything.

I'm also naturally good and comfortable in the water, I can swim and move my body very well. I have always been like that and have only realized that's kind of a talent when I realized most people can't swim and are terrified of being in the water with no footing.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm alright at drawing, but I haven't done much lately.
neal-akuma-yoshiroid-small.jpg

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I work well in teams. I can lead, follow or fill in the gaps. I have no real preference in what role I take, as long as the work gets done.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also naturally good and comfortable in the water, I can swim and move my body very well. I have always been like that and have only realized that's kind of a talent when I realized most people can't swim and are terrified of being in the water with no footing.

This! And it's just so much fun! Just going under and enjoying the feeling of weightlessness and being able to go in every direction. I love it. When I used to smoke weed I used to love swimming stoned. Made something already great feel completely blissful.

Oct 27, 2017
Music in general. I can pick up just about any instrument and "get it". I've been playing guitar, piano, drums, etc for years. Even when I just started playing drums, for example, my friends would hear me play and think I've been doing it for my whole life, when in reality it was just a few months after buying a kit. Same thing with making beats and learning software, sound design, production and mixing. I just picked it all up extremely fast. I've created many instrumental tracks and have gained a small following online on platforms like SoundCloud.

I have a good ear for music and can play songs after only hearing them a couple times. This make jamming with other musicians really easy for me. I can groove and stay on beat even if the other dude is just messing around.

I also have a very unique and diverse taste in music, but I wouldn't say enjoying the world of music more than your average person is a skill. I just understand death metal and progressive rock and modern hip-hop and 90s trance and any other genre you throw at me. I guess that makes me a "musical chameleon" at parties, because I can talk about the history of a variety of artists or bands with just about anybody, and I've been complemented on my knowledge, being able to do that.

Besides music, I've always excelled at both creative and technical writing, being able to easily crank out papers / essays in school. Definitely my strongest subject. Reading literature, reporting, analysis and everything in between. I've written many short stories growing up, winning awards at school, so it's something that came naturally through curiosity and deep interest.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
While I'm not a pro by any means, I do think I'm pretty good at writing fiction. Been doing it regularly for almost a decade now. I can finish a full novel in about 110 days and then have it fully edited in about a year from then. I'm good at working on things for an hour or so a day every day until they're done.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Driving. Its the one thing I'm probably better than the vast majority of people at. I've spent quite a lot of time on a race track over the years, I've done a lot of road racing as well as drifting. I also used to work at a dealership and got good at being able to put any car in any space.

Menthuss

Oct 27, 2017
I can be extremely determined when trying to get something done. The downside is that I tend to get tunnel vision and if I run into a lot of issues, I don't stop and try to look for a better way.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really good at reading people, to my detriment. I tend to call people out when I know their body language isn't quite matching what they're saying.

Also pool/billiards. Used to hustle people when I was a teenager.