• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
My friend is also my co worker. He is in the process of buying a house and is a little short on downpayment, but he said he is about to get a settlement from insurance after he had an accident the settlement is upwards of 30k. Its just that he won't be able to get it before closing. My wife said no but I really want to help him out. What should I do?

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
No. That's a risk for him to work out with a bank. If you say no, perhaps you lose a friendship. If you say yes, you'll lose a friendship and 25K.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. Listen to your wife. Only ever loan money if you're okay with never getting it back.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is fucking insane and I'm with your wife on this one. What the hell? $25k?

The saying usually goes, don't give out a loan you can't afford to have it be a gift.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't lend 25k to anyone.
He can wait to buy a house until he gets the money to do so himself

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason for you to do it whatsoever. Please don't. The only two possible outcomes for you are a neutral one and a horrifying bad one.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't. That kind of money will ruin your friendship, and be nothing but heartache for all involved.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Never lend someone money if you want to get it back.

Unless you're such tight bros with this guy that you're totally willing to spend 25 grand on him and never see a penny of it returned to you, don't give him the loan.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. Never lend people money you're not comfortable never getting back.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Don't do it. If your wife is against it, there's no version of reality where you give him the cash and it all goes well for you.

Even if she wasn't against it, lending someone that much money is a bad idea. It will destroy the relationship you have with that person. The only exception is if you're rich enough to just call it a gift and take away the obligation to repay the loan.

But considering the circumstances? No no no.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell you what to do. But I have lent money to friends before. And I can honestly tell you, it has NEVER ended well. Not a single time.

I've learned my lesson now.

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you're planning on just giving him $25,000 than no, don't do that.
Besides, he can wait until he has the money. He should have waited until he had the down payment.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A friend is a friend until he is not and then you are down 25k.

Whats more important to you, a happy friend or a happy wife?

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
That's a large sum of money and if both of you cannot agree then don't do it.

I wouldn't do it regardless, your wife is right if you ask me.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
On the upside of loaning your friend the money, that's $25k you don't have to worry about splitting in the divorce.

Nov 16, 2017
I'm all for helping your friends, but the only way I'd give my friends 25K is if it was a matter of life and death. This isn't that OP. Save your money, save your marriage. Way too much could go wrong for you here.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, I wish I had the bravado of someone who would ask $25k from a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.