• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I have a bunch of colleagues not coming in and work from home because there's been a lot of cases in their province (Noord Brabant, in the Netherlands). I work for a large university, there's a lot of notices about washing your hands, don't cough in your hands, stay home if you're having symptoms, etc. Other then that, life currently seems to go on pretty much as usual. My home's pantry is always pretty well-stocked so didn't feel the need to load up. I think we could comfortably quarantine ourselves and eat decently for a month or so. I saw some supermarkets having less canned food than usual, so I guess people are stocking up a little more then usual.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I try to carry on (Netherlands) but i'm really scared they will cancel all events in the country. That would mean my business is done and I go broke within two months.

I really hope this stops spreading soon but i'm not confident it will.

Deleted member 36105

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Basque Country, Spain. 2nd most affected area of the country. I carry hand sanitizer, nitrile gloves and a unused surgical mask (in case I notice symptoms) in my backpack daily (I had them for dust and pollen allergy). Washing hands so often is making my eczema flare up badly, but the worst part is the paranoia whenever someone coughs in the backgrounds. I have begun getting up early an earlier train to work so that it is not packed and I can keep the recommended safety distance. Heck, I even take my temperature every morning, just in case.

At work, the hand sanitizer contactless dispensers at the entrance are being used non stop. There are posters everywhere reminding us to stay away from sick people, wash hands often and not touch your face. People at risk have started working from home, and we are starting to test the remote connection infrastructure under load and stress in case we need to close down. I was asked to stop going to the gym by my manager and she is probably right (something scary happened there on monday).

Lockdown, travel restrictions, and public event restrictions are happening already. The worst part is that while authorities recommend keeping a safety distance in public transport, it's impossible to do it due to buses and metro always being overloaded. So I'm using alternative transport and keeping track of peak times.

Edit: Oh, also we have started to keep the main doors to the office open. I'm not sure if the measure is to avoid touching the handles and fingerprint reader to unlock the door, or to improve ventilation and prevent stagnant air. This building can overheat badly in the evenings.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
I work at one the biggest hospitals in Spain, and ironically it's made my life "easier".
People with banal diseases (that shouldn't be in a ER to begin with) have stopped coming, so my ER shifts have become much more manageable.

Ward shifts one the hand... Full paranoia up there...

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
NYC here. Work in Manhattan, live in Westchester, so I'm on the D in the morning and Metro North at night. Besides seeing people wearing masks on Metro North, I haven't noticed any major changes; NYC is bustling as usual and my job has alcohol wipes + hand sanitizer at every block of desks

I'm lucky enough to have a job that's easy to WFH, have unlimited DTO, and managers who prioritize life/safety over work, so I'm probably going to start working remotely instead of making the commute everyday. I'm asthmatic so the ride is especially stressful given the increased viral danger

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I live in N-Brabant, the Netherlands, and forced to work at home. I really REALLY hate it, but know it's for the best to minimize the spread of the virus.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I live in D.C. and I think we're at the cusp of shutting things down here. I've stopped using public transportation to get to/from work, so right now I take a cab or if weather permits I walk.

Erik Zarkov

Dec 4, 2017
Yangshuo, China here. School still hasn't restarted since CNY started. Things are busy in town though, businesses trying to reopen. Starbucks is finally letting people sit outside, and both the McDonald's and KFC are open for seating inside once more. Although it's one person to a table right now. Still staying at home almost all day every day because there isn't anything to do if you did go out other than shop for stuff.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Long Island NY here. Changed my life a good amount, I have a 70 year old father in law with a bad heart and an 87 year old grandmother so I'm doing my best to avoid exposure. I have to go to hospitals semi-regularly for my job so when I go, I wear a face mask and am super conscious of what I touch.

Was going to An Islanders game in a few weeks which I've now backed out of. Avoiding anywhere with crowds, not eating out as much and basically doing as much social distancing as I can. Hope for the best but ultimately, there's a good chance im going to get the virus no matter how vigilant I am.

Thankfully I have good insurance and my agency said if any employee has to be quarantined that we won't have to use any sick leave for the 2 weeks.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Northern Italy, near MIlano.

We wash our hands dutifully, we try to not stay physically close to each other, we don't mix forks and glasses.
I go out only to work and to buy groceries. I actually wanted to buy a new pet bird for keep company to the ones I have but that's an example of "stupid shit" I can postpone untile the lockdown is lifted.

I work in logistics, which is deemed an essential service and as such has no restrictions apart from sanitary ones. I can't work from home, because I need to be physically at the warehouse.

I don't have sons, but my sisters do, and they have basically recruited our parents and their in-laws to watch them. My niece in particular misess school and her teachers.

We stay put. I mean, my grandfather fought in an actual war, they 're just asking me to not go to a gym. I can oblige.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden. Seems we just passed the 200 mark in the city.

Other then stuff like washing your hands after coming in to work or coming home(I travel via bus and subway to work), nothing major yet.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Feels like my area got quite a few cases in the last week with testing becoming more reliable and distributed.

Even before the cases were confirmed, some stores nearby were having the "prepper" style panic and running out of essentials like toilet paper. I have actually made a few trips to my local grocery store since I first noted that happening, but I haven't checked to see if I can buy toilet paper again or not... I think things have kind of normalized again, and the local governments do have information sites and resources available to help locals seek testing and treatment.

It feels like my local area, aside from an initial rush to hoard essentials, has had a reasonable response so far — I feel mostly assured that local government is stepping up and keeping track of what's going on, though I admit I haven't felt a very strong change in my own daily life as a result. There's a sense of visibility of local leadership stepping up, though.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
North-Brabant, The Netherlands. We may work at home which I don't mind. But my wife is having a good scare of it. She is almost 38 Pregnant and doesn't like that our little girl will be born during a epidemic . And when she is born I will ask people to wait to come visit , because I don't want my old uncles and aunt to catch it.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland here. 490 cases.
Almost all events get cancelled (and a job-interview got cancelled, which sucks >:( ), and it is recommended to do home office and stick with the hygiene guidelines. Some industries are impacted, especially the tourism industry, as we usually have many tourists from China.
Some countries also forbid Swiss people to enter their coundtries.

But besides all that, the life goes on as usual (yet), you don't really notice heavily that something is going on, and I don't have to do any adjustments besides take care more of the hygiene.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I live in the NY county that's the epicenter of the state's outbreak and work a few miles from the town that they are quarantining. I have made zero adjustments to my life or daily behavior.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle area. Doing the same as normal except for washing hands more often. I work from, though, so not that much contact with people except my two kids.

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
The coronavirus is way worse outside of the US right now. I wanna know how era members in Italy and such are doing. I saw a few updates from someone in Italy in the main thread and it sounds fucked. The post went pretty unnoticed though.
right now we are in complete lock down.

my region has "only" 34 cases, about 15 of those are in my city. despite that people need self certification to leave the municipality, when grocery shopping the cops are making sure that only few people at the same time are in the store and they take names of whoever goes in to track them back if necessary.

everything must close down at 6pm.
a couple of old people got fined 260 euros for driving around with no purpose (they claim that they wanted to take a walk)
other people got fined for leaving for no reason the municipality.

my postman delivered a package while wearing gloves and a face mask

many restaurants decided to just close up shop.

my mom dentist closed down the whole activity for the foreseeable future.

on the bright side groceries stores are full of supply and we won't be in danger because of that.

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle here, I ride the bus into work everyday, I make sure the first thing I do when I get to work/home to wash my hands before anything else.

Oct 27, 2017
Stamford CT here. I had always washed my hands (with soap, which seems to be a difficulty accomplishment for some) several times a day. Doing it even more times now.

We had the St. Patrick's Day parade last Saturday, but the other parades in the state all seem to be cancelled now. Sports tournaments across the state have been cancelled. Even my kid's intramural soccer playoffs have been cancelled. Report card parent-teacher conferences will be done by phone instead of in person. The schools are preparing contingency plans to get meals to kids in the event schools have to close (CT provides free and reduced-price breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner to kids - and free lunch to all kids during the summer).

One office building in town temporarily closed after one of the employees had confirmed contact with someone. People are working from home, and many other businesses are preparing to do the same. My wife's office building also had someone who was at an event with someone who got it, so that person is self-quarantining while the office gets extra cleaning.

Supermarkets seem ok. I notice more people working retail, postal, etc. jobs are wearing disposable gloves to handle money, etc.

But I just found out this morning that one of the practitioners at an urgent care center got it from the case New Rochelle, but thankfully was quarantined before they got it. But now they have to close a couple of urgent care centers temporarily. There are other urgent care centers available, but it just shows you how the impact can ripple through a community and beyond.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Live in Jersey City which is adjacent to NYC.

Working from home full time for what's likely going to be the remainder of the month. I haven't noticed much change in my neighborhood at all but downtown Jersey City seems like it's starting to get antsy. At the worst, I've had to buy more groceries since I'm at home for an extra 45-50 hours a week but even the grocery store was largely unchanged. I could easily get anything I typically get. Not sure about delivery options but my favorite pizza joint is still open.

It's also inspired me to finally invest in a bidet and dear god. Why the hell aren't more people doing this? They're like $45 on Amazon!

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I work in Baltimore. Mostly seems to be business as usual at the moment, but the school I work at has spring break next week and they're starting to tell students to stay away until the 3rd. Not really noticing changes in traffic or anything, just most people talking about the virus when out and about, but otherwise pretty normal for the most part.
...though I feel like it's only a matter of time due to the close proximity to DC, which has a lot of international traffic. I guess we'll see...

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Not worst affected but I'm in the UK. Life is normal. If I didn't see so much online about it I'd probably forget all about it. Sure people talk about it but it's just something we talk about for 5-10 mins then move onto something else.

The biggest shock seems to be that football games are getting cancelled or need to be played behind doors. Oh and I was going to a concert this weekend which is now cancelled.

That's just my experience where I am but I expect things will get worse in the next week or so. We'll see.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
So how likely is it this will lead to a recession

seems extremely likely

businesses will not survive this quarantine

Nov 16, 2017
In Seattle/Renton, not a whole lot of change yet, but I suppose it may happen soon. I will be able to work from home if need be, and thankfully since I have deadlines this month. A lot of people are coughing, which is probably worrisome. Literally while I was writing this, Seattle public schools are going on a two week break.

I'm not concerned of picking something up from my coworkers. My wife is a Horizon pilot, so I've been in the cross-hairs since the beginning.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Seattle here, I've been working from home all week. My wife stays at home with the kids so her and the little one have been home. Seattle public schools just announced a two week closure so my daughter will be here now too. The only times I have left the house since Sunday night were to walk the dog or do yard work. I don't really plan on going anywhere except the grocery store. I have no real excuse to not Marie Kondo the shit out of my house and do yard work, lol. Goodwill is going to be overloaded when this clears up. ...and play video games of course.