• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ea04197c8af31fb25fc587e36eb75d5a_original.gif

Helvetii is a 2D Character-Action game set in ancient Gaul more than 2100 years ago. Incarnate a trio of fighters marked by the Rot, a deadly curse spreading through what is now the Swiss plateau. Use a variety of deadly combos, powerups and ancient divine power to fight your way through an everchanging landscape.

Helvetii is set to release for PC (Steam) and Switch. Planned release is for Q4 2020.

Link to the kickstarter

ITS THE GAME GOING TO EGS OR STEAM?
We very much don't intend to do anything on EGS. Even if the money is really good, we are a small team, and I am a very anxious boi. The trouble is not worth the headache to me. And I also agree that EGS is not a good store at the moment.

648c87272a671c8527885853e79a0d27_original.gif

59a00877d1a79e531caf5f6c55ac9f63_original.gif

Last edited:

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Looks very good, I just hope it has more to it than Muramasa had, it felt so repetitive a the end, never bothered to play the DLC cause i felt so burnt out

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any way to support without going through Kickstarter? This looks most interesting!

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
HEY IT'S ME IT'S MY GAME

Thanks everyone for the kind words and the support ! I'll do my best to answer stuff ! I won't hide i am VERY SCARED AND EXCITED

Any way to support without going through Kickstarter? This looks most interesting!

Simply sharing, and also wishlisting on Steam is a huge help :) Wishlists determine if games get visibility later on on steam. Do it for all your indie favs in general !

Unity? UE4?

Looks nice either way.

Thank you ! We are using Unity !

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever a kickstarter game is announced to be released within 18 months, I doubt the devs know what they're in for.
As someone who has been following it, the devs are doing a lot of work in anticipation only for this KS, having a demo ready day 1 of the campaign is nothing but a great sign of dev and management

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wary of backing any kickstarters that promise steam these days, as several have dropped that and went EGS when they saw the money

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Simply sharing, and also wishlisting on Steam is a huge help :) Wishlists determine if games get visibility later on on steam. Do it for all your indie favs in general !
I had no idea, I'll do what I can until then and I'll keep an eye on the development. Good luck with it! :)

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I'm wary of backing any kickstarters that promise steam these days, as several have dropped that and went EGS when they saw the money
We very much don't intend to do anything on EGS. Even if the money is really good, we are a small team, and I am a very anxious boi. The trouble is not worth the headache to me. And I also agree that EGS is not a good store at the moment.

Whenever a kickstarter game is announced to be released within 18 months, I doubt the devs know what they're in for.

You're not even wrong lol but that's why we spent so much time on the demo first and getting absolutely sure our base mechanics are decent and fleshed out. We got all the art for future levels and monsters in our pipeline already, and we do intend to aim for that goal

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
You're not even wrong lol but that's why we spent so much time on the demo first and getting absolutely sure our base mechanics are decent and fleshed out. We got all the art for future levels and monsters in our pipeline already, and we do intend to aim for that goal
Sounds good, I hope you'll get there in the planned window!

As someone who has been following it, the devs are doing a lot of work in anticipation only for this KS, having a demo ready day 1 of the campaign is nothing but a great sign of dev and management
Sure, a demo alongside the campaign launch is a good sign, I've just been through this rollercoaster (some of them STILL ongoing after 6+ years of waiting...) so many times that even that still makes me just add at least 6-9 months onto whatever date it says in my head :D

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Sounds good, I hope you'll get there in the planned window!

Sure, a demo alongside the campaign launch is a good sign, I've just been through this rollercoaster (some of them STILL ongoing after 6+ years of waiting...) so many times that even that still makes me just add at least 6-9 months onto whatever date it says in my head :D

Yeah, i've worked on previous project (one that got into dev hell. One released called "Splash Blast Panic" but it took too long). Most of it all it taught me how to be efficient on planning and time management. I think in fact it's probably one of the biggest traps new devs fall in too (and old ones). Knowing where are your strengths, your weaknesses, when you gotta just stop and what's just not doable have been super key

Of course I can't guarantee it will make me impervious to any problems, but I darn well will try to get that date with all my might :p

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Yeah, i've worked on previous project (one that got into dev hell. One released called "Splash Blast Panic" but it took too long). Most of it all it taught me how to be efficient on planning and time management. I think in fact it's probably one of the biggest traps new devs fall in too (and old ones). Knowing where are your strengths, your weaknesses, when you gotta just stop and what's just not doable have been super key

Of course I can't guarantee it will make me impervious to any problems, but I darn well will try to get that date with all my might :p
Best of luck, what you do have there looks really cool so far!

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I get the feeling that these PC Switch combos seems great at the begining but in the end the Switch version will only be playable with decent frame rates one year latter after a couple of patches.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I get the feeling that these PC Switch combos seems great at the begining but in the end the Switch version will only be playable with decent frame rates one year latter after a couple of patches.
We actually have it already running on switch internally, it runs smoothly at 60 !

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Looks good, hopefully they'll release it on my console of choice. I'll have to wait and see then.

The animation looks a bit stiff though.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
HEY IT'S ME IT'S MY GAME

Thanks everyone for the kind words and the support ! I'll do my best to answer stuff ! I won't hide i am VERY SCARED AND EXCITED

Thank you ! We are using Unity !

Congrats, your work is looking very very good, there is only one thing you guys need to keep in mind and thats repetition, if there is one thing i disliked from Muramasa ( the game i think you guys are getting inspiration from, for both visuals and gameplay) is the repetition, it felt like a chore from mid game onwards, hope you guys can find a solution for that

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Congrats, your work is looking very very good, there is only one thing you guys need to keep in mind and thats repetition, if there is one thing i disliked from Muramasa ( the game i think you guys are getting inspiration from, for both visuals and gameplay) is the repetition, it felt like a chore from mid game onwards, hope you guys can find a solution for that

Yeah it's definitively a pattern in most Vanillaware games. Our game has a bit of a different format tho (instead of a long adventures, it's short runs with some random elements to it). We wanna make sure we'll have just enough modifiers with our summons, items, characters and enemies/bosses that it will stay fresh for at least a sizeable amount of time :) But of course, tha's gonna mostly content we'll have to do.

I'm fine if it's also not a "forever game" like binding of isaac and the like. If people have fun even for 10 hours that'll be a massive achievement. But i'll also be doing for sure some post launch stuff to prop it up more

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a while since i've backed something but i'd very much like for more swiss devs be able to make games, so i'll gladly back this.

It looks great too.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Yeah it's definitively a pattern in most Vanillaware games. Our game has a bit of a different format tho (instead of a long adventures, it's short runs with some random elements to it). We wanna make sure we'll have just enough modifiers with our summons, items, characters and enemies/bosses that it will stay fresh for at least a sizeable amount of time :) But of course, tha's gonna mostly content we'll have to do.

I'm fine if it's also not a "forever game" like binding of isaac and the like. If people have fun even for 10 hours that'll be a massive achievement. But i'll also be doing for sure some post launch stuff to prop it up more

Sounds good, a more roguelike take on the genre could be the solution for that, I hope you guys can make a good progression system that incentivates replaying it over and over and you will be gold!!

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The animations look a little rough, but Muramasa is one of my favorite games of all time so I'll keep an eye out here.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Day 1 especially if they make food animations. That's why I buy Vanillaware games.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Day 1 especially if they make food animations. That's why I buy Vanillaware games.
Food anim is something I really want to do ! But that'll depend on the time we have left :p We do have an owl selling food tho :D

Thank you everyone for the comments ! I can tell you that making a kickstarter, especially for someone like me who is not used to like....managing a lot of social interactions is really nerve wracking. But everyone's been super nice ! I'll keep updated not only on our progress, but I think it'll also be interesting if i can answer some technical questions if people have any, or if you have any interests in doing one yourself

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This game has been making real waves on the indie development thread, it looks absolutely incredible.

Looks very good, I just hope it has more to it than Muramasa had, it felt so repetitive a the end, never bothered to play the DLC cause i felt so burnt out

Ironically, the DLC is by far the best part of Muramasa. I fully agree that the main game is super repetitive, but the DLC characters are much more varied in gameplay, especially Okoi.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
and also wishlisting on Steam is a huge help :) Wishlists determine if games get visibility later on on steam. Do it for all your indie favs in general !

I didn't know about this. luulubuu , you might want to consider including in the OP a direct link to both the Steam page and the demo; I know they're there in the Kickstarter page, but every bit of visibility helps.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I will support this if a Japanese character in the game asks, "ano, Helveltii ka" while doing calligraphy in a certain typeface.