• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Era, today I came across a Kickstarter that has left me absolutely baffled. I cannot, for the life of me, tell you what this project is, and what it is offering in return for my

*checks notes*

$8,000 pledge?

I've watched the kickstarter video three times now, and it's only managed confuse me more every viewing.

ACTUAL QUOTE FROM THE VIDEO
"The show itself is a role-playing game show that looks into the development process of movies and tv."

I'd love to see if, together, we can figure out exactly what is being created here, other than madness.

Currently at $2 out of $800,000

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like they are going to film the miniatures actually going through the actions of the DND campaign?

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
The language is a little hard to parse at times.

But yeah, the elevator pitch sounds like it's filming people voice acting and playing through tabletop campaigns with high quality editing and camera work. I think.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
The props are especially interesting for whenever research approves, we use archaeological reconstructions and 3-d print duplications, with the intention of keeping up to date. For instance Luwian studies will probably emerge as Archaeology begins its research into hundreds of identified potential sites, wherein artifacts of that bygone age will be unearthed...just like Troy.

dude what

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got as far as the "we're jumping on the filmed tabletop RPG bandwagon" part and tapped out.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
good
AGF-l78MG_iYnZpvrb9FxXPrO9z5kmVKW8wt7seaUw=s288-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

logo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, another filmed tabletop RPG show? Really getting sick of those, it's like Battle Royale. They are absolutely everywhere. A year ago I would have gladly donated 8.000€ to those guys but now?

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
They make 3d printed models of artifacts, bury them at dig sites, and then film a web tv show based on his DnD campaign where actors go and dig up those artifacts?

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Seems they want to do a TV version of Critical Role, but completely scripted and using the games to market tabletop products.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Yet, if NO properties are further developed, say one is funded and yet its funding does not include continued business expenses in this development process...it is not probable the youtube development show can be monetized on streaming channels by early next year. Maybe?

OP
OP
piratepwnsninja

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy that everyone has slightly different answers in ways that make a big difference.

Oct 25, 2017
I do admire these people tho. Here I am, thinking every day of my life about how shit the work I do is and how worthless it is and they are like "Our Youtube channel has 10 subscriber. Give us 800.000$. 8.000$ pledge minimum"

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I keep re-reading his pitch as a sort of brain teaser

More than likely, so to consider the acquisition of a license of a Dungeons and Dragons property with the purpose of developing it into a TV show is not the main aim. Yet it is a responsible pursuit by Executive Producing because of responsibility to the most amount of money in the shortest amount of time!

WAT

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The main campaign page is totally confusing, but I don't even understand what the single reward tier gives you. Archaeological discoveries? What???

Why does the campaign page completely lack pictures of any kind? Why are paragraphs not spaced? Why are there no headers? Why is the whole thing just a never ending diatribe?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like someone that saw Critical Role and thought "I could do this better"

Judging by the website the dude has a somewhat loose handle on English, which might explain some of the other confusing elements of the kickstarter.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
the video is a trip, the guy is holding it together juuuustttt well enough for his complete lack of lucidity to pass you by.
also the 'editing' is shocking.

Judging by the website the dude has a somewhat loose handle on English, which might explain some of the other confusing elements of the kickstarter.

from the video it seems like he's a natural English speaker, which makes the whole thing even better.

OP
OP
piratepwnsninja

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
the video is a trip, the guy is holding it together juuuustttt well enough for his complete lack of lucidity to pass you by.
also the 'editing' is shocking.

from the video it seems like he's a natural English speaker, which makes the whole thing even better.

The cuts in the video were crazy. Especially for someone trying to sell a TV show.